★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Gizmodo's App of the day
Best Design - hPLAY11 - Bilbao International Video Game Festival
1st Prize at the DevUp Developers Conference in Barcelona
Featured by Apple as What's Hot and New & Noteworthy

Sr. Mistu for iPhone 4/3GS/3G only

Sr. Mistu ran out of olives for his pizza. What will he do? What anybody would do: embark on an epic journey that will take him around the world... and maybe further away. Isn't he brave?

You and Gaido (his little guide dog) will go with him in this adventure. First, you teach Gaido the path and then, he walks Sr. Mistu through the level. This is team work!

Features:
- Original gameplay: Draw the path and foresee the position of the obstacles and Sr. Mistu and Gaido will walk the level by themselves.
- Hand made: Graciously illustrated by Cinta Vidal.
- Lovely music: Features a track by The Black Atlantic specially mixed for this game (Buy their songs! All of them!)

LKR's comments:

Description
Quote:
Sr. Mistu for iPhone 4/3GS/3G only

✩✩ Gizmodo's App of the day ✩✩
✩✩ 1st Prize at the DevUp Developers Conference in Barcelona ✩✩
✩✩ Featured by Apple as What's Hot and New & Noteworthy ✩✩

Sr. Mistu ran out of olives for his pizza. What will he do? What anybody would do: embark on an epic journey that will take him around the world... and maybe further away. Isn't he brave?

You and Gaido (his little guide dog) will go with him in this adventure. First, you teach Gaido the path and then, he walks Sr. Mistu through the level. This is team work!

Features:
- Original gameplay: Draw the path and foresee the position of the obstacles and Sr. Mistu and Gaido will walk the level by themselves.
- Hand made: Graciously illustrated by Cinta Vidal.
- Lovely music: Features a track by The Black Atlantic specially mixed for this game (Buy their songs! All of them!)
The Making of Sr. Mistu.
Actual gameplay starts at 0:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by FumarMata View Post
How to play
You have to draw a line from the start to the exit, foreseeing the position of the "enemies" in the screen. If you collide with any of them, you have to redraw the path trying to avoid the previous obstacle.
Pros only: get all the olives to get 3 stars in each level

Added in this version:
Smoother controls
Game Center, compatibility with older iPhone models, jailbroken devices

To Do
Working on the next worlds

Sr. Mistu has been made by Cinta Vidal and Marc Sallent during a period of 6 months in Barcelona.

You can get it in iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sr-mistu/id404002266?mt=8

I hope that you like it
02-17-2011, 05:07 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Discovered this great little game yesterday evening. Basically, it's a line drawing game: you guide Sr. Mistu, who is blind, through levels filled with all kinds of possible hazards, like traffic, manholes, stuff he might bump into.

The hand-drawn graphics are extremely awesome and worth the price of admittance on their own.

02-17-2011, 04:58 PM
I got this earlier today on your recommendation. It's a nice path drawing game. You're right that the graphics are gorgeous. The style is absolutely lovely and the character really endearing.

The actual path drawing is tricky - my dog often gets stuck and won't let me get him out so I have to pause and restart the level. I wish it felt smoother. Same for the actual journey too. It feels very quick and, for something with such a gentle look, I wish it played out a bit more leisurely.

Still, it's a good game and not a bad little challenge.
02-17-2011, 05:30 PM
I'm envious of those graphics
02-17-2011, 08:06 PM
Hello!

I am Marc Sallent, the developer of Sr. Mistu. First of all, thanks for playing Sr. Mistu and thanks for your kind words!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeefJerky View Post
The actual path drawing is tricky - my dog often gets stuck and won't let me get him out so I have to pause and restart the level. I wish it felt smoother.
Yes, I know that it's a bit problematic. But there are two tricks which make it easier:
  1. Do not press over the dog, but press over the pencil and drag it. Press as far of the dog as possible
  2. When dragging the pencil/dog, don't look at the pencil or your finger, but look at the dog

I made it this way so the dog didn't stay underneath your finger but above it so you could see if he was colliding with something and not being hidden by your finger. And if you get stuck, you don't need to restart the level, just start drawing again from the beginning and the old path will be deleted. Both tricks are explained in the tutorial of the first level, but I think that I will have to make it more clear

And about the journey, what do you mean, that the objects move too fast inside of each level, or that you can pass levels too easily? Your opinions can help us when developing future levels

Thank you!

Ah! and the graphics are by Cinta Vidal: http://cintapinta.blogspot.com

Marc
02-17-2011, 08:15 PM
Welcome to TouchArcade, Marc!

Do you have a gameplay video? I'd love to see this in action before hitting the buy button.

Check out Spark It Up, an award-winning music/action game with my music!
02-17-2011, 09:27 PM
Hello veecheech!

I hired somebody to do it a few hours ago. I tried it by miself but it was simply horrible

I'll update in the site and in this thread when it's ready
02-18-2011, 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FumarMata View Post
And about the journey, what do you mean, that the objects move too fast inside of each level, or that you can pass levels too easily? Your opinions can help us when developing future levels
Hi Marc,
Thanks for the tips on the path drawing! I'll try those out. On the journey, basically it's that everything in the level plays out a little too quickly. Or at least, that's how it feels. Mistu himself moves really fast and it gives him a twitchy feel as he bolts through the level and, yes, the hazards move quickly too. Because the style looks so gentle, it feels off, like playing in fast forward. It also means that, when you hit something, you hit something very quickly and then you restart. That takes away from the tension somewhat. Getting time to see that car coming as he strolls leisurely towards it and wondering whether or not he's going to make it I think would feel more tense and, then, more rewarding.

So it just all feels really fast once he sets off on his journey. What might even be a nice touch is if it slowed down even more when he came close to an object, to increase that tension. Will he make it or won't he?

That's just how it feels to me. Good game though. Thanks for the link to the artist - really beautiful hand drawn work. In this digital age, hand drawn artwork like this really stands out so it was a great choice.
02-25-2011, 06:14 AM
Hello!

I have been out for a while, trying to update and promote the game...

Finally, the update went out yesterday. Gaido (the dog) is MUCH easier to control now, it makes the gameplay funnier

We slowed down everything, but just a bit (around 20%). The problem is that sometimes it looks like it's too fast, but when you have played the same level several times, starting again and again, you want to finish it fast... it's a difficult equilibrium

Thanks for your comments
02-25-2011, 01:08 PM
The drawing is massively improved. Feels smooth and easy just to continue lines around things. Works great now.

A lovely game.