★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

How Easy Is It To Split Testing Icons?

11-23-2012, 06:33 AM
#1
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 7
How Easy Is It To Split Testing Icons?

Hey everyone. I'm a new app developer and will submit my first app to Apple soon.

My question is: How easy is it to test out different app icons? Do I have to resubmit my app and go through the approval process again? Or can I change icons relatively quickly?
11-23-2012, 06:48 AM
#2
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Finland
Posts: 149
Send a message via Skype™ to sh13ld
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonMiller View Post
Hey everyone. I'm a new app developer and will submit my first app to Apple soon.

My question is: How easy is it to test out different app icons? Do I have to resubmit my app and go through the approval process again? Or can I change icons relatively quickly?
Yes, everytime you want to change the app icon, you have to update your app binary and submit it to Apple for approval.

Co-founder of Kiemura, a game company with a husband-wife team.
Piranh.io is coming to App Store and Google Play on September 29th!

11-23-2012, 06:51 AM
#3
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 7
Damn. Not as easy as I thought it'd be. Thanks for the tip.
11-23-2012, 06:55 AM
#4
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Finland
Posts: 149
Send a message via Skype™ to sh13ld
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonMiller View Post
Damn. Not as easy as I thought it'd be. Thanks for the tip.
Yeah, it's not. Also remember to check that the icon in your binary is the same as the one you add to iTunes Connect.

Good luck with your release!

Co-founder of Kiemura, a game company with a husband-wife team.
Piranh.io is coming to App Store and Google Play on September 29th!
11-23-2012, 09:43 AM
#5
By the time your app is on the App Store, you should already have decided.

We go through a dozen icons (or more) during beta testing, its easiest (and best) to do then if you can get a beta testers not directly involved with you/your game.

Looking for a writer? PM me

Game Designer of:
Family Feud Matches Gaming with a side of Matchmaking!
Family Feud 2 My First Huge Apple Feature!
Pickpawcket
And more!
11-23-2012, 10:01 AM
#6
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 240
You can do several facebook ad with each of them an icon version.
Use the one people click most.
11-23-2012, 10:39 AM
#7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hercule View Post
You can do several facebook ad with each of them an icon version.
Use the one people click most.
There's that too, but then you have to plan where the ad takes them.

Personally I'm not comfortable reaching out to 'the world' with something I'm not quite ready to share (in this case, an icon that I'm not sure about).

Looking for a writer? PM me

Game Designer of:
Family Feud Matches Gaming with a side of Matchmaking!
Family Feud 2 My First Huge Apple Feature!
Pickpawcket
And more!