★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Vasoware
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 9.2 MB
  • Version: 1.1
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating: 4.5 (2)
App description: Almost Impossible is an addictive retro shooter where quick reflexes and fast thinking help you survive. Can you beat something that is almost impossible? Classic arcade action infused with challenge, risk and reward.

Features:
5 different ranks, each with its own unlocks!
5 different levels to progress through!
Endless gameplay!
Controls and graphics fully optimised for iPhone and iPod Touch (including retina display)!
Play your own music in the background!

The next free update (v1.2) is already in development!

vasoware's comments:

Hi everyone,

We really hope that you enjoy our new game, inspired by the simplicity and fun of old retro games.

Almost Impossible is an addictive retro shooter where quick reflexes and fast thinking help you survive. Can you beat something that is almost impossible? Classic arcade action infused with challenge, risk and reward.

Features:
✔ 5 different ranks, each with its own unlocks!
✔ 5 different levels to progress through!
✔ Endless gameplay!
✔ Controls and graphics fully optimised for iPhone (including retina display)!
✔ Play your own music in the background!

LINK: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/almost-impossible/id426002374?mt=8&ls=1

★★★★★ "I haven't stopped playing this game since I bought it. Highly recommended!" iPhone user (UK Store)

★★★★★ "Offers a challenge that keeps me coming back!" iPhone user (UK Store)

Feel free to post your highest score: ours is 754,300 - can you beat it?

PROMO CODES: (please post which one you use)
AP4KY9WY3997 - used
4KMME3AX4RKY - used
LNNHEK49YX9X - used
REWMRKT9HRF6 - used
FAKRMP9XHY6J - used
3HXAH393EEYH - used

Thanks for looking
03-25-2011, 06:03 PM
Hi friends,

We wanted to give everyone here at Touch Arcade a heads up to our first update (v1.1), which has been submitted to Apple for approval and should be hitting the store soon.

We believe that it is important to continually add extra features to expand the game's core functionality, give you extra value for money, and (most importantly) keep the game fresh!

This version adds:
✔ A new enemy - can you beat it?
✔ A new information ticker on the main menu to keep you up-to-date on new features
✔ A new app icon
✔ Bug fixes

Thanks for your continued support, and we are already hard at work to bring more FREE updates to the game

03-26-2011, 05:25 PM
Hi again everyone,

Has anyone managed to make it to the fabled 'Level 5' yet?

If not, here are a few tips:

- Rank up to unlock special features. Complete the objectives for each rank to be promoted. For example, when you get to Rank 2 your ship will have its speed upgraded. In addition, your multiplier will increase helping you get those high scores!

- Use the power-ups effectively. These power-ups can really make a difference to smashing your high score. Do you want to pick it up straight away, or wait a bit until things start to heat up?

- Get to know your enemy. Some enemies are harder than others, and you should prioritise which enemies should be destroyed first.

- Adjust to your play style. Some players find it easier to stick to the one corner and shoot, while others like to fly in circles around the outside of the field. Our favourite (should you be brave enough) is to go in guns blazing right through the middle!

Happy shooting and let us know if you get to Level 5

Almost Impossible v1.1 - a colorful, retro shooter with regular updates.
★★★★★ "Very polished feel, and nice controls, simple but clean and attractive graphics." US store
DOWNLOAD NOW: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/almos...2374?mt=8&ls=1
03-27-2011, 07:49 AM
We've added some promo codes to the original post (top of the page). Please post which one you use.

Hope you have fun

★★★★★ "Very polished feel, and nice controls, simple but clean and attractive graphics." US store
03-27-2011, 10:08 AM
Game Impressions

I'm liking the game so far but have a few minor feedback bits that might add something:

1) Would it be possible to speedup the enemy emerging process? While I appreciate getting a head up on where the next enemy will be spawning, it seems to go on far too long (at least on the first rank). It isn't even that I want more enemies to come into the game quicker, it is just that initial blinking before they are targetable baddies seems to take forever.

2) I think the Rank's 1-5 would be a lot more interesting if instead you gave them space navy titles like:

Lieutenant
Commander
Captain
Commodore
Admiral

I think trying to get promoted to "Commander" is more compelling than merely, "Rank 2". The only catch being that if you later planned to add more levels beyond the 5th this analogy would sort of fall apart and you'd have to come up with new titling for all of the ranks.

Other than those two suggestions I'm loving the game's hyper-retro minimalistic nature (especially the Tiny Wings' Nest like checklists of objectives to work up the ranks)!

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
03-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Game looks minimalisticslly great! All promos have been used though

Puzzling has Evolved - Get 180
03-27-2011, 02:48 PM
4KMME3AX4RKY thanks, I will leave an iTunes review this week.

plus+ scoreloop crystal : looby
agon openfeint gamecenter: loobylibby
03-27-2011, 05:52 PM
LordGek - thank you very much for the kind words regarding the game. We are very much aiming for the retro, minimalistic look with this game while concentrating on good old fashioned gameplay.

Our next update (v1.1) is already with Apple, but we will definitely look into speeding up the enemy flashing animation on start-up. Furthermore, you idea for space navy titles is excellent - I really like it a lot. We plan to add some more ranks in future updates, so we'll have a think on how to implement your idea while still retaining the possibility of adding in more ranks.

PhagoCychotic and spyky - we hope you enjoy playing the game

03-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Looks cool! Gameplay video?

Edit: There's a quicktime video on their website here: http://vasoware.com

Waiting for: Airborne Troopers, Mini Motor Racing. Minisquadron 2, Tweetland, Car Jack Streets 2, Drive Forever, Turf Geography Club, Junk Jack!!
Twitter: @nkatti
Proud Beta Tester of over 30 Games!

Last edited by nikhsterboi; 03-27-2011 at 06:11 PM.
03-27-2011, 11:05 PM
Thanks Vasoware,

what I like about this game is it's GREAT GRAPHICS. The sounds and soundtrack works fine too. A few improvements I hope to see...

1) Some sort of intertia? Like slowing to a stop instead of stopping instantly.

2) The game should get horizontal landscape support! It's not too hard, just move the playfield down and put the movement stick at the top

3) Well the monsters die with a cute orange ball but how about the player itself?? It just vanishes when you die.

4) Sometimes I have trouble with the controls.. Not sure how to explain this but it could just be me.

5) This is a high score and achievement-centric game. So where is GAME CENTER?? (ok I know this is a GS limitation. but still...)

6) The bullets can actually extend slightly out of the gamefield... lol

Puzzling has Evolved - Get 180