★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: A quarter of a million people are playing Rhythmatic, and we've spent all summer working on this BIGGEST UPDATE EVER. ROCK ON!

We're listening to your feedback -- follow us on Twitter at @RevocTech to chime in and make a difference!

**NOTE: REQUIRES iOS 4.2+**

Play to YOUR OWN SONGS with the ultimate rhythm game! Rhythmatic is specially designed to analyze and create tracks to your own music library right on your device!

This is the moment your inner rockstar has been waiting for. Finally, you can play along to all your music -- whether you're a beginner or a seasoned expert, there will be endless challenging and fun gameplay along the way!

Rhythmatic features:
- A finely tuned, homemade song analysis algorithm to analyze and store tap tracks made from songs in your own library in seconds.
- Virtually unlimited difficulty levels -- quickly and easily customize EXACTLY how difficult tap tracks are
- Three different track layouts: one portrait (3 lanes) and two landscape (4 and 5 lanes).
- Options for held notes and hyperspeed
- Numerous diabolical OpenFeint Achievements
- Post-game song stats
- Hours upon hours of endless fun! Concerned about replayability? Check the size of your iPod library!

Rhythmatic was designed by hugely addicted fans of the rhythm gaming genre -- we're very passionate about what we do, so if you have any thoughts about the game, please let us know!

*Please note: Rhythmatic requires iOS 4.2+. If you are having any difficulties with the song analysis process, please update your iDevice's software. Enjoy!

tmsquasher's comments:
Are you ready to ROCK to your OWN MUSIC?

Check out this video of the just-released v1.1 update... introducing all-new held notes and more!

Youtube link | Pop Up

Sample v1.0 gameplay video...

Youtube link | Pop Up

Video shows 3-lane gameplay on Hard and Easy difficulty.

Rhythmatic is the next-generation of rhythm gaming. Play to your own music library on four difficulty modes and three different lane configurations. All on your iDevice. Enjoy!

- Tom
Developer, Revoc Technologies
03-22-2011, 09:23 PM
This is out? Instant buy!

Follow me (@zeroxharuhi) on Twitter!

03-22-2011, 09:25 PM
is it following the beat or the lyrics? and how well does it do video game music and hip-hop?

Plus+/openfeint: nesio718 Game Center: panama chief
Playing: this new iPad....DAT RETINA!!!
Waiting for: SALES!!!!
03-22-2011, 09:38 PM
Send a message via AIM to jwei44
I love this game, but it seems to go with lyrics. Plus retina would be appreciated (I used to think retina was lame-o but now I am wrong)
03-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesio718 View Post
is it following the beat or the lyrics? and how well does it do video game music and hip-hop?
It seems to follow both, depending on the song. I've tested this so far on a random K-pop and Coldplay song (both on hard mode), and both seem to be fine for the most part. There are 4 difficulty modes and 3 types of stages: 3 tracks, 4 tracks on landscape, and 5 tracks on landscape. Much better than Tapic so far IMO.

Follow me (@zeroxharuhi) on Twitter!
03-22-2011, 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nesio718 View Post
Good question: this is where very almost every single one "play with your own music" apps fails.

The Unofficial Touch Arcade's Captain Slow(TM)

Honestly, I was never terribly good at games. - Finch (PoI S2E16)
03-22-2011, 09:59 PM
As far as I know they usually go by the wavelength or whatever the equivalent might be in different formats. Beat or vocal, whatever gets the wave moving will be registered. It's really the best you can do without inputting every single beat in manually and it'll never be perfect.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
03-22-2011, 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
As far as I know they usually go by the wavelength or whatever the equivalent might be in different formats. Beat or vocal, whatever gets the wave moving will be registered. It's really the best you can do without inputting every single beat in manually and it'll never be perfect.
The frequencies we target include both the drum/bass and vocal ranges, so both should get picked up depending on which has more energy. It's a little complicated, but you're absolutely right in that it's roughly as good as you can do with the current state of onset-detection technology.

The basic beat and vocals are easiest to pick up on; a guitar solo, for example, is very tricky to isolate. In devising our algorithm, I tried to pick parameters that would maximize playability for the most genres.

All that said, it isn't that tricky for me to change, so I'm open to suggestions!
03-22-2011, 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwei44 View Post
I love this game, but it seems to go with lyrics. Plus retina would be appreciated (I used to think retina was lame-o but now I am wrong)
Glad to hear you're enjoying it!

I hear ya on retina display. Being the rocket-scientist I am, I honestly forgot about high resolution graphics during most of my designing process (obviously wasn't an issue for my *ancient* 3GS! ).

Definitely looking to update the graphics if possible though!
03-22-2011, 10:27 PM
oh cool~one musical fan.y can'i find it?