Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 03-23-2011, 04:27 PM

Looks ok on iPad, but it's one of those games that retinapad doesn't help the graphics at all.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:45 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

It might be a bit early, but how do you get Onion Knight (if it's still in the game)? I remember the DS version involved sending messages to people over Wifi.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:58 PM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreakuency View Post
Looks ok on iPad, but it's one of those games that retinapad doesn't help the graphics at all.
Ok thanks for the ipad impressions, might wait then if it doesnt upscale that well.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:00 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by estyst View Post
Does it even work on iPhone 2G/3G? Or it needs new hardware...?

Is it playable on old hardware?
it doesn't say any and it is playable all the way back to iOS 3.0.0
Old 03-23-2011, 05:01 PM

Does it have auto-save/save anywhere? I have difficulties getting into Chaos Rings, because it makes you repeat half a level if you die. Really stupid design for an iOS game, if you ask me...
Old 03-23-2011, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAwesome View Post
Ok thanks for the ipad impressions, might wait then if it doesnt upscale that well.
Yeah but it's probably more that the textures are low quality from the DS, so the bigger they get the worse they look.

I'm a bit disappointed to be honest, especially given the price. But I guess this is what we have to look forward to... as the iPad/iPhone becomes a proper gaming platform, so do the prices.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:21 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

I do remember this game being pretty challenging at times. I'm gonna buy it, but I don't like the random battles anymore, and if I remember correctly, you can only save on the world map. So it's not half a dungeon you have to redo, it's an entire one
Old 03-23-2011, 05:22 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isilel View Post
Does it have auto-save/save anywhere? I have difficulties getting into Chaos Rings, because it makes you repeat half a level if you die. Really stupid design for an iOS game, if you ask me...
You can save anywhere you want in Chaos Rings except during a fight. I don't understand what the criticsm is?
Old 03-23-2011, 05:28 PM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

Any new classes? for those of you who live in New Zealand haha
Old 03-23-2011, 05:30 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Default Final Fantasy III first 10 minutes Impression

First of all, I've only played the DS version up until the first boss battle in the first dungeon and I've played up to the same point prior to writing this short review. I will try and give as much detail as possible.

The game starts off with the usual menu but if you wait for a bit you'll see some beautiful artworks and some captions giving the background story of the game. No FMV.

Graphics
The texture resolution has been retouched and upscaled considerably making the game looks heaps better than the pixelated look of its DS counterpart. It looks great and it plays at high framerate. Played it on my first gen iPad and the graphics still look beautiful.

One problem with the aethetics of the game lies at the battle menu. There is no colour to it and it looks more like boxes with texts on them. At first glance you wouldn't even notice the arrow pointing down/up right next to them that can lead to another set of boxes with different menus. But the battle looks fantastic. The armour doesn't change but the weapons change accordingly and you can choose whether you want shield on your left or right hand or wield swords on both hands from the get go.

The level design is beautiful and one more thing that blew me away is that the facial expression on the characters changes. Having played the DS version I must say that the iOS version benefits from the slightly higher res textures.

Gameplay
The game plays just like Final Fantasy 1 and 2 for iPhone/iPod Touch. Random battle is quiet frequent and there are points in the game where you need to pinch out to zoom, which is interesting because this is the first FF that has that level of interactivity on the iOS. I had to grind a few levels before fighting the first boss and it didn't take long to get to lv 5. Overall it feels very generic and understandably so since Square (since its Squaresoft days) has pretty much established the JRPG genre.

TipsL: in the first dungeon you'll be getting a certain item that can be used during fights. Use them on the boss, it is extremely weak against it.

A good addition to this version is the ability to save anywhere, aptly called quicksave. But it does come with a major drawback.

The quicksave function can be found in the menu

You have to go back to the main menu if you use the quicksave feature.

Control
This is the part that I love about the game, it uses the same control scheme as Chaos Rings, which means that you can move your character by pressing anywhere on the screen and drag to whichever direction you like. The character can walk and run depending on how far you drag your finger and it can be set to always run on the menu. However, this control scheme can lead to some problems when played on an iPad because there are times when I want to open a chest and my character walks off because I didn't tap correctly or my finger slipped off by a fraction of a milimeter.

Sound
The sound effect and music on this game sound much better than its DS counterpart as far as my memory serves. Iconic tunes can be heard from the opening menu to the victory fanfare.

Review
So is the game worth the asking price. In a sense, yes, but only if you are a big fan of SquareEnix games and JRPG in general. For fans of the series, the story alone is more than enough to justify the price. Add to the equation the fact that the game is in 3D (not stereoscopy) makes this title a must for all for all JRPG fans. Some might be put off by the simplistic nature of the character design and I don't really know whether the story has a comical/comedic tone to it or not because the facial expression and the cartoonish design does make the game seems childish and lacks the serious tone of the rest of the series.

The game might be too comical for some avid FF fans.

You can finally go back to the title screen without leaving the game.

Overall, it's a great looking game by its own right and it can easily fool those who are new to the series into thinking that this game is designed for the iPhone. Am I glad with this purchase? Yes, especially since the game looks very good on my iPad. The only thing that I miss from this version is the FMVs.

Last edited by yongkykun; 03-23-2011 at 05:37 PM..