Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 07-09-2012, 10:49 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Default Party Order Question

I'm only at level 24 with all my characters. But I'm having a problem with party order. No matter what order I put my party in, back/front or 1-4, my thief and monk always attack first and kill the enemies. My warrior and red Mage only see action when I have my thief steal and monk guard. Does anyone know why this happens?

This is one of my favorite games, though, and I'm hoping I can beat it before the iPhone 5 comes out. This still doesn't have iCloud saves, does it? I'd love to keep grinding and transfer my game to the iPhone 5 later this year, but will stick with my iPhone 4 if I have to just to finish this game!
Old 07-09-2012, 04:30 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisrshideler View Post
I'm only at level 24 with all my characters. But I'm having a problem with party order. No matter what order I put my party in, back/front or 1-4, my thief and monk always attack first and kill the enemies. My warrior and red Mage only see action when I have my thief steal and monk guard. Does anyone know why this happens?

This is one of my favorite games, though, and I'm hoping I can beat it before the iPhone 5 comes out. This still doesn't have iCloud saves, does it? I'd love to keep grinding and transfer my game to the iPhone 5 later this year, but will stick with my iPhone 4 if I have to just to finish this game!
If I recall correctly, attack order is tied to your character's speed or agility. Monks and thieves are fast, which is why they attack first.

As to your save transfer question: when you get your new phone, just backup your iphone 4 to your computer, then restore it to your iphone 5. All your apps and app save data will transfer.
Old 07-14-2012, 11:00 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzFlight View Post
If I recall correctly, attack order is tied to your character's speed or agility. Monks and thieves are fast, which is why they attack first.

As to your save transfer question: when you get your new phone, just backup your iphone 4 to your computer, then restore it to your iphone 5. All your apps and app save data will transfer.
Job speed. That totally makes sense! Thanks for the info. And I haven't been able to use my computer in months. Might be dead. Got a new one, but I'd have to erase in order to sync with a new computer. So I was hoping they would include an iCloud save in an update or something. Might stick with this phone til I finish it I guess...
Old 07-15-2012, 12:17 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

You don't have to erase any content of your Iphone/ipod/ipad. Just get the 2 important files:
Itunes Library Datebase file and the Itunes Music library XML and transfer to your new computer. Then hook your iphone/ipod/ipad to it and transfer purchases to your new computer then Sync and everything will be just fine. I've done it to 3 computers and it works just fine.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiiikoo View Post
I think I know what was missing! I just got Odin from the Catacombs and got the remaining 3 mails from the 4 old men! I'm guessing you need to go to all the "secret" caves (where you get the summons) and you receive the letters. I hope this helps out...
i got all the summons...i talked to mog with all my chars...i still dont recieved any letters from those bith..ahaha 4 old men i mean
Old 12-11-2012, 08:03 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

I have never previously played a JRPG or any FF / SE game before. I have read up on FF in plenty of threads so had a fairly good idea of what I was getting myself into when I succumbed to the SE sale (6.99).

The cutesy element has always been off-putting, yet the characters in FFIII have charm - although I still (and won't be) am not a fan of the cutesy monsters. I also am not a fan of the combat system, which is showing both its age and its roots. This is also true of the dialogue and menu which also shows their console roots. Certainly not touch optimised but nevertheless fairly easy to navigate - although the sheer amount of touches required show the console roots.

So why am I playing this (granted 30 minutes or so in - completed the Altar Cave, which serves as an introduction - more old school console roots, throwing you into the game with no in game help)?

Two reasons:
1. Scratch an itch to try a JRPG - especially a FF title, and
2. Immerse myself into the FF canon - I'm expecting (hoping for) canonical FF touches

I'm treating this experience as a return to my MUD roots, and a vacation from my usual Western RPG fare re: Avadon and Baldur's Gate.

No idea on jobs yet, as I'm refraining from spoilers and guides to try an play an unadulterated experience as much as possible - even though the fun is from planning job roles.
Old 12-11-2012, 09:13 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

^ Lucky you! I bought this 1.5 weeks ago for the normal price. I probably should've waited for the sale but I did get the dual gungnir weapons recently like I've always wanted in that game.

Anyhow, this game has amazing touch controls and keep in mind it was made for the DS originally so it was a blend between buttons and touch screen which worked well. If you play other RPGs, even ones made for the iPod, I think most of them don't even come close to the ease of use of this game. If you're looking for a better standard type RPG interface on the iOS, you're gonna have trouble with that.

Well, enjoy the game! I did until I forgot what part of the story I'm at lol.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:11 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Adorable characters and new themes every now and then makes this game more and more interesting!
I added the friends house, how long do they stay there???
Old 12-12-2012, 02:51 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

I am now over an hour in, and have visited Ur village. Old school tutorial through playing the game and talking to characters, as opposed to everything on a plate. I'm liking this - it's refreshing. I'm resorting to writing notes as opposed to tidbits of information appearing in my journal - my EverQuest days come flooding back to me. Without getting mindlessly lost without a light and losing one's corpse.

I can already feel the pull of attraction in wanting to explore further and see more of the world. That said, random encounters every time one moves a couple of feet is going to get old, but that's part and parcel of the game.

Have a suspicion that I need to level up before I arrive at Kazus. Still currently a Freelancer, although I suspect I'll be informed more about jobs as I progress. Note: village immediately South of Ur is Kazus, wouldn't you know

Update:•••Spoiler:  party is now between level 8 and 6 after obtaining Wightslayer from Castle Sasune. No deaths on the Griffon, which was good. Only death was in Mythril Caves due to Kizuki (2nd character, whom you meet in Ur - I rename mine to characters from Murakami novels) being killed by a Shadow, and I used a Phoenix Down to revive him, instead of heading back to Ur. You live and learn.

Time to head to Sealed Caves and get a feel for whether I need to level up some more.

Last edited by Riotgirl; 12-13-2012 at 05:52 AM.. Reason: Added spoiler
Old 12-13-2012, 12:49 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Update: gratuitous use of the spoiler tag ahead ..
•••Spoiler:  Now 4 hours in and have completed the extended tutorial i.e. killed the Djinn in the Sealed Cave. Not difficult in the slightest, because my party were around level 8 when I entered the Sealed Cave, and I explored every nook and cranny - thus generating a number of random encounters. I also left the cave to save on the World map, and flew back to Ur to recuperate.

Hence, by the time with the big showdown with the Djinn, my party was well prepared and a couple of levels had been gained through random encounters. More importantly, I talked to Princess Sara, and found an Antarctic Wind in a chest, which combined with Blizzard, killed the Djinn before melee. Preparation, preparation, preparation.

As stated in earlier posts, as you play the game, more options re: job system, will open up once you reach a certain point in the game. Also, talking to NPCs will provide you with hints and tips, not to mention guidance on the menu system. It's a very old school way of doing things, rather than having everything explained in a tutorial.

I believe that a mixture of old school and more modern methods re: the UI should at least be explained, and then everything else gradually discovered through play at certain milestones.

I'm enjoying the experience much more than I thought I would, to my surprise given the age of FF3 (although I believe it was only available in the West from 2006. Is that right?). The story is generic, but the characters do have charm, plus JRPG iconic moments e.g. the cat-like teletubby walking on screen to explain the job system. Definitely a head-scratching 'WTF!?' moment!

Good lord! I still need to finish Avadon. Then Baldur's Gate! Definitely not girlfriend friendly - good thing she is in China for 5 weeks, right?