★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: CRUX Crosswords for iPad [ $4.99 >> $2.99 ]

03-23-2011, 05:33 AM
CRUX Crosswords for iPad [ $4.99 >> $2.99 ] Update: Sale ends at midnight

** We're having a "Feyer Sale" **

Congratulations to Dan Feyer for winning the Division A prize of $5000 in the American Crossword Puzzle Tournament this past weekend in Brooklyn, NY. To celebrate, we're having a sale!

After this week, we go back to our normal (US) price of $4.99. If our next update gets approved this week, then the sale will end early. So get to it!

Last edited by rumsoft; 03-24-2011 at 04:04 PM. Reason: updated title to indicate end of sale
03-24-2011, 04:06 PM
Update: Our next update was approved so we're ending the sale tonight (3/24) at midnight. If you're on the fence, then get it now!

03-24-2011, 04:54 PM
Anyone have experience with this one? A comparison between this and Crosswords or NY Times Crosswords would be great, as I have both of those.

Thanks.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
03-24-2011, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djflippy View Post
Anyone have experience with this one? A comparison between this and Crosswords or NY Times Crosswords would be great, as I have both of those.

Thanks.
Just got this a few minutes ago as I have been eyeing it for a while, but I consider Crosswords the one to beat.

Things I like about Crux -
Great appearance - the puzzle looks iike it got cut right out of paper. The "handwriting" font also is a nice touch.
Nice UI and a logical layout.
Lots of sources ( although they seem similar to Crosswords). Has British and American in different tabs which keeps things clean.
Although I don't need it, there is ability to have many users with their own puzzles on the same device.
Different ways to look at the puzzle with a highlighter. Easy to change from vert to horizon and visa versa. Different wways of getting hints and options on how much hinting that you need ie letter, word, etc. Also you can just check words or letters if you wish.
Nice pencil marks.
The developers seem very interested in the success of their app - always a huge plus for me, and one that I like supporting.

Things for improvement -
you d/l a puzzle at a time, and I'm not sure if it stays, but for the d/l you need wifi or 3G. Options to d/l a total number up to all would be great. Also being able to d/l from multiple sources like a favorites would be great. This is the biggest issue I have. Wifi is not always available, and I don't want to have to remember to d/l a bunch of puzzles before I go on a trip.
Screen orientation is always portrait. I really like Crosswords landscape mode where horizon clues on the left, and vert on the right.
Does not appear to pinch to zoom, so for larger puzzles, the puzzle gets smaller, and the letter boxes get smaller, still easily seen, but if you like to have BIG letters, no option for that. Also clues are always the same size - again easily readable, but some might like to pinch and zoom.
I lost the keyboard and it was not intuitive how to get it back. I finally happened on pressing the hints button, and that brought it back, but that was after d/l several puzzles and turning off and on. Maybe a keyboard icon? Not sure why it woul ever need to go away based on how you have the real estate laid out.

Although I still think Crosswords is the best on the AppStore, Crux has a nice presentation, and some variation to break it out, and I'm happy with my purchase. also, I only spent about 20 minutes and a couple puzzles, so these are initial impressions.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer

Last edited by pluto6; 03-24-2011 at 05:39 PM.
03-24-2011, 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djflippy View Post

Thanks.
I've been using Crux for a few weeks now - I love it. If you have a NYT subscription you can access their crosswords here, too.
It has a good range of publications and the next release has British and Australian crosswords.

Best of all though, the developers listen to feedback and are clearly serious about updating the app.

Basically, only pass this one up if you don't like crosswords.
03-24-2011, 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto6 View Post
Although I still think Crosswords is the best on the AppStore, Crux has a nice presentation, and some variation to break it out, and I'm happy with my purchase. also, I only spent about 20 minutes and a couple puzzles, so these are initial impressions.
Thanks for your honest review. We're always looking to improve the app so we listen to all suggestions seriously and will take them into consideration for our upcoming feature updates. Stay tuned!
03-28-2011, 01:11 AM
@pluto6 + Treefiddy - Great review an impressions. Thank you both. As luck would have it, I had a pressing deadline and didn't get back here until the sale was over, but that's the way it goes sometimes.

Edit: BTW, I'll be leaving my impressions, as well.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL

Last edited by djflippy; 03-28-2011 at 02:06 AM.