★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Space shooters - what would you recommend?

04-04-2009, 05:32 AM
Space shooters - what would you recommend?

I've so far only piggy-backed on other people's threads so thought I would start my own for once

As I've mentioned in another thread, I've got Galaxy On Fire and I'm finding it very difficult and frustrating so far. I know I'm very much in the minority in thinking this and I'm probably just being a bit dense in not being able to get very far into it. I'm going to persevere in the hope of getting more enjoyment out of it but in the meantime I was wondering if anyone can recommend some different space shooter type games to me.

I'm in the mood for firing some lasers, for launching some missiles, for causing some big explosions and for generally having some good clean inter-galatic mayhem and carnage! I was hoping Galaxy On Fire would quench my thirst, but it hasn't because of the problems I'm having with it.

I say space but the games don't have to be set in space, just so long as they are good shooters. A bit of strategy, like the trading element in Galaxy On Fire which I'll hopefully eventually get to, wouldn't go amiss either.

Any thoughts?

Thanks very much!

Video games and apps reviewed at News Shopper, a newspaper site in London, England. I'm manager of this site, which gets more than 1.4 million page impressions a month. Any devs wanting your games reviewed, please contact me. (I have a US iTunes account)
04-04-2009, 05:36 AM
Galaga! It's not out yet, sadly. Once I get that, I might just uninstall GoF (well, I'll probably keep it a little longer.)

04-04-2009, 06:04 AM
the VOID just went on sale from $5, it is now $3. Pretty good game, has a lite version as well.
04-04-2009, 06:35 AM
Give Pharos IV a try, there is a lite version too if your unsure. The visuals are excellent & the handling is spot on!

Full Version.

04-04-2009, 07:36 AM
I like rebel onslaught

Playing: Hi How Are You, iBlast Moki, Rolando, ScareCrow, and all of my Plus+ games.
ngmoco:] Plus+ ID: Danlipson
Challenge Me!
PM me for free video editing of... anything
04-04-2009, 07:37 AM
I've got Radio Flare (Lite) and SpaceX (Lite), although neither exactly blew me away. I guess I'm still looking for what you're describing!!

Also, as it will probably get brought up later, iDodge is really good, but not really the same kind of game.

I read on a different thread somewhere here that Tyrian is being ported to the iPhone... I actually can't wait - I played this game obsessively for years!

Wishlist: Alien Hominid, Castle Crashers, Monkey Island, Sam & Max, Swords & Soldiers, Tyrian
Playing: Kryzer Prologue, Flight Control, Knights Onrush
04-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Two that I've really enjoyed are Venger and Air Master 3D

Eric Pankoke
Mobile Games Reviewer: Rusty Sabre, TouchMyApps
Blog: iPhone Life
Twitter: RustySabre
04-05-2009, 08:16 PM
I really liked SpaceX. Best game in the world. Another good spaceship shooter was Galaxy on Fire, the missions and all that stuff is very addicting. The price tag may cause you to pause, but it's a wonderful game with jaw-dropping graphics. I believe SpaceX is .99 and the gameplay is wonderful. Graphics and artwork are beautifully rendered for the iPhone screen. Maybe you should also wait for Galaga, I have a feeling that Namco will finally release some good games, starting with Galaga.