★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Japan Rescue

03-24-2011, 05:50 AM
Japan Rescue

To support the earthquake and tsunami victims in Japan, Coding Dutchmen designed and developed a new game. All of this game's revenue will be donated to the Red Cross, so they can help the people who are in need the most.

In Japan Rescue, you are the brave pilot of a rescue helicopter, flying above the city as it is struck by the tsunami. People are taking refuge on the roofs as the water level in the streets rises and rises. Hover above them, pick them up and bring them to the hospital.

Check out the full description, gameplay video and status updates on the Apple approval process here: http://bit.ly/dOLQ28
03-24-2011, 06:26 AM
This is in terribly bad taste.

Shame on you.

03-24-2011, 06:43 AM
Yeah, supposedly all the proceeds go to the Red Cross, but the game didn't have to be about this.

Last edited by S.I.D. CrAzY; 03-24-2011 at 06:53 AM.
03-24-2011, 07:14 AM
Yeah, at first I thought it was a horrible cash in on a horrible event, but if all the proceeds really do go to the Red Cross, then it's not as bad, but it could've been about something else at least.
03-24-2011, 07:28 AM
(Pulled my response. I defer to my comment in post #23)

"@ColeDaddy - My wallet hates you. That is all."
Drummerboycroy

Last edited by ColeDaddy; 03-24-2011 at 11:06 AM.
03-24-2011, 07:34 AM
Hmm, the theme of the game may be somewhat too soon-ish, but i disagree with the vehemence with which the dev is being slammed.

All revenue is being contributed to the Red Cross, so i'm not sure how this makes the dev a 'classless jerk', and the game is fundamentally based around helping people in a tragic circumstance.

Classless would be making a game where you try to destroy a japanese city using an earthquake, tsunami, and a nuclear reactor meltdown, and charging for it, and NOT donating anything to help the real-world crisis.

But yeah- too soon, man, too soon.
03-24-2011, 07:38 AM
'Japan' shouldn't be a part of the game's name, IMO. Change it to anything else and STILL donate proceeds to the Red Cross... win-win.

Chopper Rescue
Emergency Choppers
Emergency Evac
Evac Control
etc
etc
etc

Gamecenter: KineticBlur
Now Playing (iOS): Hearthstone, Battleheart: Legacy
Now Playing (PS4): Watch Dogs
03-24-2011, 07:42 AM
Yeah- KiddToKMart has it locked down!

The pixel graphics have a nice retro- charm to them, so it would be a shame if the dev pulled this in its entirety- maybe a good name change, still keeping the honourable theme, and i'd buy it no problem.
03-24-2011, 07:53 AM
The obvious take-away is this: Despite the charitable intent, the disaster in Japan was NO game. It's insensitive to ignore that fact.

Then again, I'm sure Afghani "insurgents" don't think too highly of Medal Of Honor. In the news, they're called insurgents. They consider themselves guerrillas, fending off a foreign invader. But, hey... as long as the gov't says it's cool, then who cares, right?
03-24-2011, 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DusT_HounD View Post
Hmm, the theme of the game may be somewhat too soon-ish, but i disagree with the vehemence with which the dev is being slammed.

All revenue is being contributed to the Red Cross, so i'm not sure how this makes the dev a 'classless jerk', and the game is fundamentally based around helping people in a tragic circumstance.

Classless would be making a game where you try to destroy a japanese city using an earthquake, tsunami, and a nuclear reactor meltdown, and charging for it, and NOT donating anything to help the real-world crisis.

But yeah- too soon, man, too soon.
Point taken.

"@ColeDaddy - My wallet hates you. That is all."
Drummerboycroy