★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: QUAKE on the way!!!

11-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
QUAKE on the way!!!

ZOMG!!!!
11-01-2008, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJonez View Post
ZOMG!!!!
Wow, way to catch that buddy!!! You should work for the New York Times...

11-01-2008, 08:50 PM
It's gunna be fully sick
11-01-2008, 08:54 PM
if id software doesnt pull it first

you could always try Cube, it will also be free
11-02-2008, 02:23 AM
Why would id pull it? They released the source code so devs could do things like this and distribute it (for free). And given that it's free, I hope the app store servers are ready for the onslaught .
11-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom-22 View Post
Why would id pull it? They released the source code so devs could do things like this and distribute it (for free).
They released the source code, that's all. The art, models, sound, etc. is not free. You can modify the engine to your heart's content and distribute it for free, but you can't distribute id's copyrighted stuff. In 2006 they also released the map files, but that still leaves the other stuff. In order to play Quake you still need to buy Quake, except for the shareware version. So if this is the full Quake version (not shareware), and it's released on the App Store (which it won't be if Apple is on the ball), it will probably get pulled immediately. The only alternative is releasing a free iPhone Quake engine, and then have people transfer their own Quake .pak files themselves, which is probably not doable except on jailbroken devices.

--Eric
11-02-2008, 11:48 AM
The demo only shows it playing automatically. It will be 100x more difficult with the controls covering 90% of the screen, plus your fingers on there to move around. I don't see how that can work unless you have tiny fingers.
11-02-2008, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
The demo only shows it playing automatically. It will be 100x more difficult with the controls covering 90% of the screen, plus your fingers on there to move around. I don't see how that can work unless you have tiny fingers.

I've got it on a jail-broken iphone.
The controls actually work fine.

landscape mode.
left thumb controls forward, left side, right side movement.

right thumb controls jump and fire.

takes a bid to get used to it, but it works. you'll need to turn the brightness up on your iphone to enjoy it. it's very dark.

it's ok, about a 6/10 to start, after you learn the controls it grows on you to a 7.5/10.

frag on.