★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Distant Star: an old-school space 4x game.

03-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Send a message via AIM to Doches
Distant Star: an old-school space 4x game.

I'm just wrapping up a port of (previously iPad-only) Distant Star to the iPhone, and I'm looking for beta testers to help me make sure it's solid before the release. Distant Star is a throwback to classic 4x space games like Master of Orion and Spaceward Ho!, mixed in with some of the better ideas from Sword of the Stars and Civ V. The beta I ran here on TouchArcade for the original iPad version was really great (you guys are awesome!), so I thought I'd give it another go before the iPhone release.

If this sounds like your cup of tea and you'd like a chance to help steer the game in a particular direction, reply below and I'll try to get you in on the beta. I'm posting regular updates and such over on the game's development log as well.
03-25-2011, 04:56 PM
I LOVE 4X games! Especially Sins of a Solar Empire on PC.

A few questions:
Is this primarily a singleplayer game?
If not, will it have a singleplayer mode? (I don't play those 'freemium' games)
Can you give me a brief description of the gameplay and mechanics? (I haven't played Master of Orion)
Will this be turn-based or real-time?

03-25-2011, 08:38 PM
Send a message via AIM to Doches
A few answers:

• At the moment it's singleplayer-only, and I can't imagine ever making it (ick) freemium. I didn't write Distant Star to make tons of money; I wrote it because there aren't nearly enough 4X games out there for iOS.
  • It may become multiplayer (either same-device or over wifi) someday, but not in this update. Or the next one I've planned. I'd really enjoy building a multiplayer version, though...
  • Mechanics-wise it's most similar to Sword of the Stars sans the whole tactical ship combat bit; I've heard it described as a turn-based, slower-paced Galcon.
03-25-2011, 09:10 PM
I am interested! I love the simple pixel art for the ships and the fonts.

Current: iPhone 6S, new 3DS, Vita
03-25-2011, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the reply. Please count me in for beta testing.

I also agree with you, there aren't nearly enough 4x games on iOS. Other 'space strategy' games are just typical RTS or TBS games with a sci-fi setting.
03-25-2011, 11:02 PM
Wow... this is great news; I'd be in for beta testing although I am a beta newbie.
03-26-2011, 02:00 AM
I'm also interested... Count me in!

Playing:Carcassonne, Letterpress, Trigger Fist, Dungeon Story, Rebuild, Pen and Paper
Game Center/Openfeint/Plus+/Crystal/Agon/Gameloft Live: tonydeli7
Member of the Beta Tester Alliance Games/Apps I Have Beta Tested
Follow me on Twitter: @tonydeli7
03-26-2011, 06:23 AM
@Doches:
Looks very interesting- hope that the beta goes smoothly and we see it on the store soon!

I'd volunteer for testing, but am useless at 4x games, so will be content to sit back and watch this thread! Best of luck!
03-27-2011, 03:20 PM
I've always been a fan of 4x games. Would be more than happy to beta test this game.
03-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Looks cool Wish I had time to be a beta-tester, but it'll probably be an insta-buy for me. Good luck!