Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 05-13-2011, 02:51 PM
Developer
iPad, OS 4.x

I'll be sure and slip a couple more in then.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:01 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

OK, downloaded the update today and took it for a test drive.

A couple of missions into replaying the campaign and, so far, liking the changes to balance.

The skirmish maps are the f-bomb (in a good way of course ) and the AI is much, much improved. Really loved playing through one of those and finding myself thwarted multiple times until I finally won.

Are the maps updated for the All Out War map pack? Guess I'll find out later one way or another.

Some other initial thoughts and reactions:

- The attack animations are now too quick in my opinion. Yes, they added significantly to turn time, but they were nicely done. Now it's quick zoom in - "bang" - "voice clip" - "bang" - "voice clip" - quick zoom out and done. Seems a bit rushed, you already had the option to turn that stuff off if you were truly impatient, and you lost something of the charm in speeding up things so much.

- While I generally love the change in capture cost, there is one thing that immediately jumped out at me as potentially an oversight or at the least an odd design choice I'd be interested in knowing the thought process behind: Adding a "wrench" to an enemy building is a free action - hypothetically, a single engineer could flit through the enemy base playing wrench fairy and half-capturing buildings. However, removing that wrench requires the sacrifice of a friendly engineer unit. Seems imbalanced and easily exploitable against the AI since they place a premium now on protecting their base (yay for that, just not so yay being so easy into getting them to waste engineers).
Old 05-13-2011, 04:06 PM
Developer
iPad, OS 4.x

Glad you like it.

Re. your point about the engineers, you have a fair point. Maybe it'd be fairer for the engineer to not go "inside" the his own buildings as the friendly workers inside just need a hand fixing the sabotage.

EDIT: Yes the map pack has been rebalanced also.

Last edited by Rubicon; 05-13-2011 at 04:10 PM..
Old 05-13-2011, 05:24 PM

Just gave the new version a run, and i stumbled across a pretty big bug right off the bat, unfortunately: If you pick up naval units with a skyhook, you can't put them back down. Ever. I haven't actually tried to pick up ground units yet, but i think a similar problem would have been caught in testing... although it's probably worth checking.

Hopefully this is just map or skirmish-mode specific, but i haven't tried any other maps/modes yet. I noticed this while playing a skirmish game on the "madness" map.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Developer
iPad, OS 4.x

Bugger! (sic)

Yep, that's a bug. You're not meant to be able to pick them up in the first place, so certainly don't need to do so to complete any missions.

I'll make sure this is fixed in 1.4, but I don't think it's a "pretty big bug" tbh. Pretty minor really - see it happens, don't do it again, no harm done!
Old 05-13-2011, 07:59 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Feck, I would have never thought to pick up a navel unit.
Regarding the spanner issue, I like it as it is. I played about with it a lot in testing and the A.I does react well to it. Saying that, not losing an engineer while repairing could be a change for the better but I think it a minor issue.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
Bugger! (sic)

Yep, that's a bug. You're not meant to be able to pick them up in the first place, so certainly don't need to do so to complete any missions.

I'll make sure this is fixed in 1.4, but I don't think it's a "pretty big bug" tbh. Pretty minor really - see it happens, don't do it again, no harm done!
Ok... well, imo, its a big bug. The way that map is setup makes control of the two separate water areas pretty important, and the best way to do that is by using carryalls to ferry ships over. You know, the helicopters that say they can lift anything... and who used to be able to do that, and which were changed without any notification....

But honestly, why even argue about whether or not you consider it a "big bug" or not? I'm a customer who encountered it the very first time i began playing post-update, and since the bug didn't present itself until 45 mins into the game (when the choppers reached the target water), it ruined a pretty big chunk of playtime. To me, that's big.

Yes, it's now easy to avoid in the future, but that's kind of a patronizing attitude. It's like if you told ipad2 owners a few weeks ago that the crash problem was easy to avoid; just turn off the audio drivers!

Don't forget that i'm posting in this thread because i'm a fan who wants the game to be successful; i'm not just someone trying to point out every flaw I can find for the hell of it.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:39 PM
Developer
iPad, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
You know, the helicopters that say they can lift anything... and who used to be able to do that, and which were changed without any notification....
Well, if they could always lift boats then the bug has always been there. What sort of transport chopper irl do you think could pick up a battleship?

Quote:
But honestly, why even argue about whether or not you consider it a "big bug" or not?
Because this is a public forum and I could do without people blaring out about "big" bugs when they're really not. The iPad 2 thing was a big bug. The issue at hand seems to bother only you at this point, and I've already said I'll fix it soonest.

Quote:
It's like if you told ipad2 owners a few weeks ago that the crash problem was easy to avoid; just turn off the audio drivers!
I told them to turn the sound off in the game. Because people who'd done that said it worked for them. If you remember we only recently recieved our own iPad 2 to figure the actual problem out. I honestly don't know what you expect of me here that you're not getting.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:44 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Quote:
Ok... well, imo, its a big bug. The way that map is setup makes control of the two separate water areas pretty important, and the best way to do that is by using carryalls to ferry ships over. You know, the helicopters that say they can lift anything... and who used to be able to do that, and which were changed without any notification....

But honestly, why even argue about whether or not you consider it a "big bug" or not? I'm a customer who encountered it the very first time i began playing post-update, and since the bug didn't present itself until 45 mins into the game (when the choppers reached the target water), it ruined a pretty big chunk of playtime. To me, that's big.

Yes, it's now easy to avoid in the future, but that's kind of a patronizing attitude. It's like if you told ipad2 owners a few weeks ago that the crash problem was easy to avoid; just turn off the audio drivers!

Don't forget that i'm posting in this thread because i'm a fan who wants the game to be successful; i'm not just someone trying to point out every flaw I can find for the hell of it.
yo bro they just prioritizing.... I haven't done this yet, but if it isn't supposed to do that, and it's easy to avoid, it isn't TOO important. It'll get fixed soon, but I'm pretty sure they wanted to..... get GC achievements in, right? first.
Don't freak. They are excellent at getting things fixed and really quickly.

EDIT: ^beat me too it. I sneezed. That was the time difference.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:11 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

@Monolith: I've played the game alot, maybe not as much as others, but definitely enough, and I haven't tried lifting naval units. Since you're the first one to actually encounter this problem, I suppose that means you're the first to do so. (not sure if this was in previous updates too)

But yeah, you aren't meant to lift naval units anyway, and can play through the game without doing so, so it's by no means a big bug. And as phattestfatty said, Rubicon does take in feedback and handles bug fixes pretty quickly. Some developers don't even check this forums, much less respond regularly.