★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Anyone try Glyph?

11-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Anyone try Glyph?

How similar is it to collapse?
Is it any good?

Can't post the iTunes link as I am posting this on my iPod.

EDIT:

Here is the link now that I am on my laptop:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=294926589&mt=8

Last edited by zztfox; 11-01-2008 at 11:15 PM.
11-01-2008, 10:22 PM
i think its pretty awesome, the best part is that there are powerups! omg! id recomend picking it up if you like that kind of game. oh and there is actually a story line! holy crap!

11-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Went ahead and got it!
And Holy*&^% is this a polished game, quite the steal at only $2

Like the massive amounts of levels.
11-02-2008, 10:16 AM
If I'm not mistaken, this game is made by the same people that made Golden Skull. One of things I remember reading about that game was that you pretty much couldn't lose and you didn't even have to look at the screen as whatever you tapped worked.
What I'm wondering is that although this game does look very polished, is it as simple as just tapping again, and no matter what you do will pretty much work out?
11-02-2008, 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Charley View Post
If I'm not mistaken, this game is made by the same people that made Golden Skull. One of things I remember reading about that game was that you pretty much couldn't lose and you didn't even have to look at the screen as whatever you tapped worked.
What I'm wondering is that although this game does look very polished, is it as simple as just tapping again, and no matter what you do will pretty much work out?
Funny you mention it, but that was EXACTLY my impression of it. Don't really know if that changes further into the game or not, but it seems as though you can touch anything you want and clear it out. They add some black gems that cannot be matched, but they also include a way to blow them up. So maybe you can't play blind, but pretty close to it...
11-02-2008, 11:49 AM
I guess that the first few areas will be easy, but there is a time limit later that you must finish under, so there is a possibility of game over, just not for the first part of quest mode.

Action mode is like collapse, in that if the tiles reach the roof, the game is over!

So you CAN lose in this game, compared to Golden Skull.
11-02-2008, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zztfox View Post
I guess that the first few areas will be easy, but there is a time limit later that you must finish under, so there is a possibility of game over, just not for the first part of quest mode.

Action mode is like collapse, in that if the tiles reach the roof, the game is over!

So you CAN lose in this game, compared to Golden Skull.
Ok, so there's a time limit goal, but that still doesn't answer my question.
Can you just randomly, without looking, keep hitting the screen and basically beat the levels?
11-02-2008, 04:44 PM
you can lose

While at first it may seem like you can randomly smash, that changes. Note the jewels on the left of the board. The ones with x's through them don't count in uncovering anything. Like in Jewel Quest, you get those intricate boards with corners and nooks and crannies, and the board also fills with those multiplying obsidians. You end up quite quickly with no more matches and no power ups and run out of time. That's when you desperately try mashing just in case there is a match you didn't see. So strategy for those is key and when you die and begin again, you quickly realize that using a power up almost immediately is key. So, no, you cannot get by just randomly hitting the board with your fingers. It's a great game and you do get lot's of play out of it.
11-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Great! Like krazyfingerzz said.
11-12-2008, 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyfingerzz View Post
So, no, you cannot get by just randomly hitting the board with your fingers. It's a great game and you do get lot's of play out of it.
I agree, to an extent. I am currently on the Metal levels, and it seems that each subset of five levels (between the pattern matching/Simon Says levels) can be roughly split up as follows: 3 can be completed by rapping your fingers on the screen as if indicating waning patience with the barista who is taking for-ev-er to make your coffee; 1 requires diligent hunting and pecking as you scour the screen for even a measley 3-gem group before that spiral fuse of a timer fizzles out; and then there's 1 "baby bear" level, requiring a bit of the hunting and pecking at first until you get an artefact that clears out the obstacles so you can go back to the sort of blind tapping not seen since "Superstition" topped the charts.

It's really a fun game, though. It's usually the one I go to first and play until my finger tip gets hammered flat, at which point I either move on to an accelerometer-controlled game or get off the pot because both my legs are nearly asleep.