★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

"Resting on my laurels..."

03-26-2011, 11:46 AM
"Resting on my laurels..."

As some of you know I just finished and submitted Squid Drop to Apple last week. As I'm another one of those one-man bands I miss having people around me who really understand what this feels like. So I thought I'd share here, as this is (in addition to Twitter) the only place I really meet other developers.

The last few weeks have been exhausting to say the least, and I thought I had the finished article on my hands several times just to find a fresh bug. (All down to some low-level memory plumbing I had to do). None of this matters now though, as no matter what happens I can enjoy the feeling of completing the game. It may flop completely but right here and now it really doesn't matter. There is just a sense of relief, pride and pure joy from finally reaching the goal-line.

I can't think of many feelings bettering this one and I consider myself lucky to be in a position where I get to experience this.
03-26-2011, 12:03 PM
Your game looks very good and it's nice to see that you have such a positive outlook right now. I'm releasing my first game in the coming weeks and I can only hope to be as cool-minded as you once the time comes .

I really hope that you have success with the game!

Gutenberg Pessoa Botelho Neto
Co-Founder @ Fuze.cc / Developer - The Fish Dies in the End
contato@gutenbergn.com :: http://www.gutenbergn.com/
Twitter :: LinkedIn

03-26-2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks for posting this -- it's nice to see there's a light at the end of the tunnel. We're working furiously to release game #1 and it sometimes feels like this will take the rest of my life...

Fuzzy Professor Head LLC -- Makers of Puppysaurus! On Twitter / Facebook
03-27-2011, 08:25 AM

Thanks, funny how your game seems to be very similar to mine both in theme and controls (from what I can see).
03-27-2011, 08:53 AM
When you start with an idea and several months later you have the finished product, it's the best feeling in the world, you create something wonderful out of nothing!Even though the process can sometimes be dreadful, in the end it's totally worth it!

I like to believe that hard work is always rewarded in some way, so whatever happens with your game , keep in mind that you are winning much more than just money!

I hope your game does well!Cheers!
03-27-2011, 11:00 AM
You've improved a lot since your Fumbers game. You've done an excellent job on the art this time, which I believe was the greatest suggestion from feedback from your first game. Let's hope any further feedback on Squid Drop—if itself doesn't turn out a great success—helps you strike the third-time-lucky bell with your next title.
03-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Thanks Essential Paradox!
I can't really see the improvement in the artwork myself, but that's probably because they both originated somewhere inside that great sponge I like to call a brain.

But really, glad you think Squid Drop looks better, especially as everyone detested the way Fumbers looked. Bracing myself for an overwhelming tide of indifference this time as well though.
03-27-2011, 01:56 PM
Squid Drop

It looks like a fun endless survival game. I like the style of art it has, and I'll definitely be picking up a copy when this one comes out.

Any chance a gameplay video will be added to this thread? I'd really like to see how this one plays.
03-27-2011, 06:49 PM
Congrats!! I definitely know the feeling of being able to release something out into the wild that you've been working on for so long. In my case, I had the idea 2 years ago but it seemed too complicated at the time. 5 Apps later it was doable and the feeling of completing it is a pure joy itself.

It really is great to see other developers here express this same feeling that we all go through.

Good luck and I hope you have much success when your App gets approved! Now starts the fun part of promotion.

Hmm...if only there was an App that rewarded me somehow for doing that scary and painful task of promoting my own Apps...then I'd find a way to get better at it

iPhone/iPod Touch Apps by Tiny Tech Studios
03-27-2011, 07:17 PM
Congratulations on completing your first game.

There's so much work involved in reaching that point. Well done!!!

(And I know what you mean about wanting people to share the moment with... partners just don't understand LOL)