★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Gameloft Graphics

03-27-2011, 02:29 PM
Gameloft Graphics

I've had my ipad2 since launch now and have been loving it. I know ive been spoiled by the graphics in games like RR2 HD and Infinity Blade, but I'm trying to play through my backlog of ipad games i got on sale.

I know graphics dont make a game, but a few of the gameloft games i've been playing are really bad (NOVA 2 and Shadow Guardian), to the point of being distracting. I know i dont have a grasp for all ipad games out there, but to me gameloft HD games dont look good at all. The textures arent the worst in the world but the jaggy edges are really what get to me. Is there really a difference between the HD version and just playing the iphone version on 2x ?

Am I being to picky or does the gameloft games really need the upgrade to the unreal engine, like last year ?

Made the Front Page at Pocket Gamer AND Touch Arcade!!!
goo.gl/xjVio & http://goo.gl/aKtJL
03-27-2011, 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAwesome View Post
Is there really a difference between the HD version and just playing the iphone version on 2x ?
Oh yes, huge difference. Thus all the complaints about apps not being universal and people having to buy separate HD versions if they want it to look right.
03-27-2011, 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jongjungbu View Post
Oh yes, huge difference. Thus all the complaints about apps not being universal and people having to buy separate HD versions if they want it to look right.
I know theres a big difference, there was a hint of sarcasm in my statement there. I was referring to how pixelated gameloft games look on the ipad.

Made the Front Page at Pocket Gamer AND Touch Arcade!!!
goo.gl/xjVio & http://goo.gl/aKtJL
03-27-2011, 03:39 PM
Part of what you are noticing is the anti-aliasing in RR2, Infinity Blade, and Dead Space, which make them look great on the iPad2, but which was not possible to do with the hardware of the ipad1. Gameloft simply needs to update the graphics on their old HD games to accommodate the capacity of the ipad2. Whether they will is a different question...

창의력
"Dream as though you will live forever; live as though you would die today."
03-27-2011, 03:58 PM
Well I see your point so in the future just research before you buy gameloft products. They are using a java engine , which doesnt have the features of unity or unreal engine. So thier HD versions will only be good on iphone4 not ipad.
So until Gameloft says they going to switch to unreal , I dont advise you to buy thier games for ipad2. In 6 months or so programmers should have a handle on unreal , so your going to be in for a treat. Until then look at games made with unity thats made for ipad resolution is your best bet. Hope I helped you !