★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Upgrading apps on multiple devices

03-27-2011, 07:46 PM
#1
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,834
Upgrading apps on multiple devices

Dumb question:

If you have two devices (eg: iPad and iPod) and the same game is installed on them both...

when an updated version of that game is released, do you have to download the update on each device separately?

Or does iTunes sync'ing of both devices handle this, without losing save data, which is different on each device.

řƹȡ1
03-27-2011, 07:47 PM
#2
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Houston/Austin, TX
Posts: 13,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red1 View Post
Dumb question:

If you have two devices (eg: iPad and iPod) and the same game is installed on them both...

when an updated version of that game is released, do you have to download the update on each device separately?

Or does iTunes sync'ing of both devices handle this, without losing save data, which is different on each device.
Yes it keeps different backups for different devices, lol. You update it on iTunes and the individual save files will still be there for each device.

Twitter: @back2this
03-27-2011, 07:53 PM
#3
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtothis View Post
Yes it keeps different backups for different devices, lol. You update it on iTunes and the individual save files will still be there for each device.
So if I download the latest Dungeon Raid update directly on my iPad, I can sync it to itunes on my Mac..and then when I sync the ipod it will also be updated to the new version of Dungeon Raid?

I've only recently got the iPod so never had to do this before!

řƹȡ1
03-27-2011, 07:56 PM
#4
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Houston/Austin, TX
Posts: 13,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red1 View Post
So if I download the latest Dungeon Raid update directly on my iPad, I can sync it to itunes on my Mac..and then when I sync the ipod it will also be updated to the new version of Dungeon Raid?

I've only recently got the iPod so never had to do this before!
Yes.

Twitter: @back2this
03-27-2011, 08:00 PM
#5
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtothis View Post
Yes.
Cool. Thank you!

řƹȡ1
03-27-2011, 08:02 PM
#6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red1 View Post
So if I download the latest Dungeon Raid update directly on my iPad, I can sync it to itunes on my Mac..and then when I sync the ipod it will also be updated to the new version of Dungeon Raid?

I've only recently got the iPod so never had to do this before!
It won't. It's still there.