★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Lite apps worthwhile now days?

03-28-2011, 04:03 AM
Lite apps worthwhile now days?

Are Lite apps worth it now?

I know they used to be the best way of getting people who were unsure.

But if your app is only $0.99 is it still a good idea? It seems they've basically become known as "Ad apps".

Do they still boost your marketing, sales, etc?
03-28-2011, 04:20 AM
Send a message via MSN to apphame
Absolutely they are. If your app is not that appealing at first sight but with excellent content, then a lite version is necessary.

Hot day, not spring day.
Follow my twitter, @chillingostar

03-28-2011, 04:57 AM
Always release you paid version first.
When sales start to dry out, release a free version. But this free version is not here to sale your paid one. Limit your free version, so people have to paid with IAP to get the missing bits. This way, you'll maximise your income. If you can have adds in the free version, then put them in too. My 2p.

JC
03-28-2011, 05:22 AM
i was thinking about that. they are nice to complement but with .99 cent apps, are they worth the space?
03-28-2011, 06:44 AM
Hard to say. My experience is limited, but in our case (0.99 app with a free version as well) the free did nothing to effect sales one way or another.. We took it down and left it off and I don't miss it..

after interest in our game disappeared, we'd average ~20 DLs a day for the free (there were no ads in it)
03-28-2011, 01:44 PM
Seems like a hit or miss to me... with N.Y.Zombies we didn't really see a change whether we had the lite on the store or taken off, so we ultimately removed it altogether. Then again, its hard to tell how the lite affected us during release.

On the other hand, I've seen games like Hungry Shark and currently 2012 Aliens vs Zombies rise up the charts do to a free version. There have obviously been a bunch more, but I cant remember them at the time.

But like I said initially, I'm sure there are just as many games that aren't affected by the lite. In the end, I suppose its worth a try at least.
03-28-2011, 02:59 PM
03-28-2011, 03:11 PM
With freemium/free to play apps mostly taking over the free charts (along with the sheer number of downloads you need now to chart) the old thought process of charting with the lite version to drive customers to your paid version doesn't seem to be working as well as it once used to. Personally, I love the free versions of games with IAP unlocks but you really get the short end of the charting stick going that route it seems.
03-28-2011, 04:51 PM
We're considering dumping our Lite versions for Great Little War Game.

We're selling decent numbers of the premium version and getting good reviews, so we know people are basically happy with the game. Which then leaves me wondering why the lite versions are getting shitloads of downloads but relatively few conversions (via an IAP upgrade button).

It's only been on sale a couple of days, but the difference is already quite telling and I can't foresee it changing around any time soon. We'll give it a few weeks and see first though, just in case.
03-28-2011, 07:05 PM
It's hard to tell for our game since we don't have enough data, but right now our game is converting at 3-5% ratio. I'm not 100% sure if it attributes to our free versions because we aren't tracking links from our lite version. Which we should be doing

Coming from a tiny bit of background in casual games I believe it still helps as long as you have all the right links and ways to push the player into making the purchase. Maybe I'll know even better once Apple removes our What's Hot in family and puzzle category. I figure sales mostly trickle in from those links or our lite versions are working.