Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 03-28-2011, 01:16 PM
iPad

Default Profitville HD (by 10tons)

Old 03-28-2011, 04:34 PM
iPad, OS 4.x

Is it just me, or does it seem like five bucks is pretty high for a game like this ?
Old 03-28-2011, 07:24 PM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by quebecotr View Post
Is it just me, or does it seem like five bucks is pretty high for a game like this ?
I'm not sure what a fair price is for this, to be honest. This is somewhat similar to their two earlier Miriel games in that it is a quick-thinking/order filling type of game. Those are also $4.99, as are most of their iPad releases. One thing that I will say for 10 Tons is that all of their games at this price point are incredibly polished, well-made, and just plain enjoyable. For simpler games, such as Grim Joggers, they seem to release at a lower price point.

While I don't like spending more money than needed on a game, I also don't think that the pricing race to the bottom for iOS games benefits anyone in the long run. Sure, we get lots of mediocre games at very low prices. But I could see this one on a Nintendo DS at $19.99 with the level of care they put into the game. I'd rather see a developer release games at a price point that makes them some money and produce better quality games. You have to decide for yourself whether that is worth $5 or not. Personally, I get much more value out of quality games like this for $4.99 than many combinations of 5 games I've purchased at $.99 each.

As for the actual gameplay, think I Love Lucy with Lucy in the chocolate factory and you get an idea of what's going on in this one though it is a bit less frantic, especially in the early levels. You are racing to fill orders quickly while discarding or repairing broken items, upgrading items and trying to use special bonuses to best advantage. The story is very simplistic and could have almost been left out in this game. It is just a framing mechanism to get you to the game play. (Nothing wrong with that for a simple game not every game needs much story to it.)

For long term enjoyment, as you complete each section of the game you open that up in survival mode. In survival mode you get to see how long you can keep filling orders and how long you can last before items fall off the end of the conveyer belts. This mode keeps the speed increasing more the longer you survive, so it gets progressively harder. Trying to beat your high scores definitely gives something to keep coming back for.

Now, I'll admit that I was a beta tester for this, and all of their HD games since Azkend HD. I will probably get a free copy of the game. I only beta test for them because I love the quality of the games they produce. I applied to test for them because I was impressed with Azkend HD after I purchased it. They expect people to really put in time testing to find bugs and make suggestions for improvements. I think the end result shows.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:30 AM
iPad, OS 4.x

I have no problem paying a fair price for a great game; I know developers work really hard to make quality games for the iOS platform. It's just that I find that games at the five dollar level usually present a higher level of complexity and a higher degree of graphic quality than I see in this particular game. It's also not universal, and the iPhone game is another three bucks.

Considering that City of Secrets is also five bucks, I just don't see the comparative value. Of course, it's all in the game play, I realize that, and again, I'm not sure this game has all that much to offer. BUT, I have not played it..., and you have Perhaps it really is worth the price. I'll wait for more impressions before taking the plunge. I also have the nagging feeling that the price of this might drop pretty quickly.

Thanks for all your comments, though. You bring up some very valid points.
Old 03-29-2011, 12:12 PM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by quebecotr View Post
I have no problem paying a fair price for a great game; I know developers work really hard to make quality games for the iOS platform. It's just that I find that games at the five dollar level usually present a higher level of complexity and a higher degree of graphic quality than I see in this particular game. It's also not universal, and the iPhone game is another three bucks.
I certainly can't fault you for your opinions. I do want to point out that the graphics, while not complex, are actually higher quality than the screenshots would have you believe. Looking at the screenshots here, they look very flat. In action, on the iPad itself, the graphics work really well and actually are pretty high quality. But, this isn't a tour-de-force of graphics. The graphics work well and fit the game.

I'm personally a little mixed about the universal app issue. I also have an iPhone 4 and much prefer universal apps. I understand why developers have separate versions from a business standpoint. From a customer satisfaction standpoint, though, I think customers prefer universal apps. As it turns out, if I have a universal app I rarely end up playing it on the smaller screen of the iPhone. I like the idea of universal apps, but I like the larger screen MUCH better. So, while I'm much more likely to buy a pricy game if it is universal, I end up not taking advantage of the universality (hmm... that seems like the right word, but who knows?) most of the time. In the end, I'm usually satisfied if there is a good iPad version of a game. But I understand why other people think differently.

There also seems to be some discussion about the iPhone version of this game in the iPhone section of this site. You might be able to get impressions from other people there.

Last edited by Finandir; 03-29-2011 at 12:15 PM..