★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Animated app icons! Could the human brain handle it?

03-28-2011, 11:48 PM
Animated app icons! Could the human brain handle it?

So you open up your iPhone 4 with retina display and all the icons start to dance around, show off game play and developers are using tweezers to pack in subliminal messages encouraging you to buy more of their apps.

What would really happen if the icons came too life overnight. Could it possibly work? Could a normal user handle this multitude of movement ?

Has anyone tried submitting an animated icon. ( Is it allowed in the rules and regs? )

03-29-2011, 12:10 AM
I'm pretty sure it'd just show the first frame

I wouldn't mind the idea provided it was an option, perhaps even a toggle for each individual app. 16-20 icons jumping about and flashing at me could get seriously annoying.

゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

03-29-2011, 12:28 AM
Sounds like something that'd kill the memory on my iPad even more.
03-29-2011, 01:28 AM
Frankly, I think it would be a nightmare. I believe it's a lot easier to find what you're looking for represented with one single, clearly designed image. I believe animated icons would just be complete visual overload.

Sort of how earlie web-sites used to have loads of animating gifs.
03-29-2011, 04:17 AM
I thought it would be cool if your app could change the icon according to what you are doing in it!Like calendar! Let's say you could show at what level the user is, or if it is lite you could show ads!)
03-29-2011, 07:50 AM
yeah! ads on icons.. great idea!.. dancing little animated ads.. thats what everyone needs..

more annoying visual garbage to throw at the user.. yeah!!!.. awesome idea.. brilliant guys!

you guys might actualy start to think about your ideas... if a user already has your app (lite or full) on his device what single reason do you have to annoy him with dancing icons..?!?!

i would love that apple enforces some of the suggestive points in their guidelines (which apparently no developer reads anymore, because its easier to just ask a random question on an internet forum) ... like they advice against using "lite" , "free" etc. in the icons.. and thats because of a simple reason.. it look ugly.. a dashboard full of lite apps can look like a cheap advertising screen..

its still baffling how many don't understand the simplest design guides apple is following (and wants that devs follow too) , to create a coherent user experience.
03-29-2011, 08:17 AM
animated icons would be horrible. imagine every developer trying to one-up the last with even more flashy, crazy icons. :X

Games: Boom Boat | Boom Boat 2
Developer: Razoric.com
Social: Twitter | Facebook
03-29-2011, 08:17 AM
icons are too small for showing off any gameplay... at the most they will fight for attention like some favicon do. But if it's not allowed as now, it's still fair for everybody.
03-29-2011, 11:49 AM
12 apps with animated icons on one page would turn into 12 deleted apps within seconds.
03-29-2011, 11:57 AM
Windows Phone 7 does something vaguely similar to this in that the app itself can change the icons around to display various things. It's actually really cool, would love to see it come to iOS along with a few other great Windows Phone 7 features.