★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: New Game Out - Pachinko Puzzle

11-02-2008, 09:30 AM
New Game Out - Pachinko Puzzle

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to announce my new game released yesterday on the App Store called Pachinko Puzzle. It's a puzzle game based on the falling marble concept of Pachinko. Currently has 10 levels, realistic physics, and addictive gameplay. I hope you enjoy! You can find it here:

http://linktoapp.com/pachinko%20puzzle

Also, if you do download and play, please leave feedback on the App store, or drop me a line
joshuablazer@gmail.com
http://sites.google.com/site/pachinkopuzzle

Josh

Last edited by jblazer; 11-02-2008 at 10:01 AM.
11-02-2008, 02:41 PM
I'll give it a try.

I'll comment later about the scoring.

It looks very much like the falling japanese pebble slot machines I see at the exhibitions.

Best of luck on it. Hope you added some interesting sounds.
-Bill.

11-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Yes, it's based on japanese pachinko. Sound is very minimal right now, but will definitely be improved in an update. Gameplay was the 1st priority. I have a second update release planned soon with additional sounds, levels, and hopefully a state save feature which seems from the initial reviews on the store to be what people want most in a next release...

Anyway, thanks for taking a look. I'm just an indie working nights and weekends on this, first go at objective C...

Josh
11-02-2008, 03:39 PM
ok.

Comments below... remember just trying to help...

The physics seem correct.
But the tilt accelerator, is a bit broken.
Do you want to allow the user to tilt the iphone and re-direct the pebble in the way it falls? I don't believe the original Pachinko's allowed you to tilt the machine. (not sure) The ones I played did not. It would be nice if the tilt was worked on some and reacted more to the user. This is a big issue in the working of your game.

The sound of the pebble hitting the sticks is all wrong. It sounds like a gun-shot going off. Please change that!

Time function should be allowed to be turned off. Who set's the time for the different puzzles. The time is way to low to complete. Even on the first level, which I can't get pass yet, finishes early. Also the first time that the user runs out of time, you go to the restart level, screen? I thought that I paused the game or did something wrong. TELL THE USER TIME IS UP.

Another issue for me is the tap on the "grey top". It would be nice if you inserted "TAP HERE TO RELEASE PEBBLE(ball)." Graphically, you should show the balls 20% screened on the top bar to give the user a better feel of where to drop the balls.

I like to look at the puzzle when I complete or not finish to study it. You force the RESTART LEVEL black screen. Just do a overlay.. more friendly.

When the pebble hits the sticks, even if lit or not it should make another sound.

Last edited by networkman; 11-02-2008 at 03:43 PM.
11-02-2008, 03:49 PM
In terms of scoring and play,

There are some interesting ways to achive this.

check out,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pachinko

Your physics model is well done. You should consider building the other parts of the Pachinko now. Adding just some of the other simple scoring ideas of Pachinko would reallly get you a following on the iphone.

Great start!
11-02-2008, 03:55 PM
so you beat peggle to the market...nice

is there a video so we can see it in action?
11-02-2008, 04:00 PM
Thank you

First thank you so much for the feedback - definitely welcome all constructive criticism to try to make this into the game people want to play!

I'm really not trying to recreate a pachinko machine - this is merely a derivative. That being said, I can make the accelerometer more or less sensitive to tilt. That's easy. Originally I had planned no tilt, and then some tilt, then more - will play with it a bit more.

The sound is definitely lacking. Question - would you prefer improved sound effects only and music from your own library as it is now, or a whole soundtrack designed for the game?

I timed the levels to be challenging but not impossible. I can usually beat each level on the 1st or 2nd try, so you do get better with practice. I'm not sure turning it off makes sense, but I've thought about doing an easy/hard setting for the game.

Easy to give the user more feedback on time out or marbles gone. Will work on that.

I did various versions of the grey strip at the top, some with TAP HERE, some without. I may add this back in, I just wasn't happy with the way I had done it up until now.

Apple's overlay window tends to block the puzzle. What I do have planned for the loader screen is small icons of each level. You should be able to get the gist of each level from the load icon.

Again thanks for the post - and of course for supporting the game and giving feedback. Really appreciate it, and hope to get some of these things into the next release. Am targeting mid-Nov for next release...

Josh
11-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Since you are not trying to create a pachinko machine...

You should add the accelerometer with more sensitivity to tilt. This will make the game alot more fun.

Right now I tend to drop a lot of marbles, rather than work on one marble at a time to hit the pegs. And of course, the time runs out as I'm doing this.

You need to balance the time. Time in your game currently is very important and it is only a small box with the countdown on the left. Hard to see. Since it's so important, you need to place it somewhere and BIG on the screen.

In the future I would like to see mystery pegs that slow the time or give the user special powers.

You are on your way. I'm sure the ride is going to be fun. PM me if you want to continue more options/ideas offline.

Cheers!
Bill.
11-02-2008, 05:17 PM
Video Posted of game

One last thing - as requested you can view a quick demonstration of the first two levels on YouTube. I've also embedded it on my page:

http://sites.google.com/site/pachinkopuzzle

Josh