★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Best bang for your buck

03-29-2011, 09:17 AM
Best bang for your buck

Hi all,

I've scheduled the release of my new game for next Tuesday. I've written to as many review sites as I can. All the forums have a thread about it which I'll update when the game comes out. And I'll shortly be writing a press release to go out that day as well.

Now, I've got access to a fairly healthy budget (for an indie) for advertising. So if you had 1000 ($1600) to spend promoting your game what would you do with it to get the most attention?

Possibly ideas:
  • Advertise on TA
  • Run a competition to win an iPad 2
  • Admob

My game:

Youtube link | Pop Up
03-29-2011, 10:01 AM
Someone on Twitter just had the suggestion of offering an iPad 2 for the first person who creates a puzzle that 500 people play. I think this is quite a good idea:

Firstly, as anyone can create a puzzle in the paid or lite version, so no purchase necessary.

Secondly, to play shared puzzles you do need the paid version. So it might inspire groups of people to all get the game in order to play a puzzle and win the prize.

Does this sound feasible?

03-29-2011, 11:25 AM
Sounds easily gamed by a determined 13 year old.
03-29-2011, 11:30 AM
I don't know. I've made it pretty difficult. However, maybe they should be reward for ingenuity?
03-29-2011, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runloop View Post
Someone on Twitter just had the suggestion of offering an iPad 2 for the first person who creates a puzzle that 500 people play. I think this is quite a good idea:

Firstly, as anyone can create a puzzle in the paid or lite version, so no purchase necessary.

Secondly, to play shared puzzles you do need the paid version. So it might inspire groups of people to all get the game in order to play a puzzle and win the prize.

Does this sound feasible?
If you have money to spend on marketing I think contests are the way to go. Contests generate a lot of buzz, especially if you have a big enough budget to reward something as big as an iPad2.

Also, I kind of like the idea of sending that marketing money straight to the people who play your game...where else would it be going? To Google and sites who already have a cash flow coming in? Though I do think having an Ad here on TA is a good idea...this site gets a lot of traffic and well...I'm all for supporting the places and resources that we as indie devs use and go to

So my 2 cents, contests all the way and then maybe create some FaceBook/Google ads to promote the contest itself

iPhone/iPod Touch Apps by Tiny Tech Studios
03-29-2011, 04:04 PM
very hard to say. Nearly a year ago I ran a contest for an iPad with my game (when they were brand new the 1st time around, to boot). I thought I was being all clever in doing so. it really backfired on me..

I tied the promotion for the iPad contest in with all my PR for my game release. Nobody in the media cared at all (I was surprised) and I wasn't even able to generate much buzz between all my connections (which were pretty built up) as I had hoped. In the end a 15-yr-old kid cheated and took the prize fairly quickly and easily (he got me on a technicality, it's quite humbling to be bitch-slapped by a 15-yr-old I tell you what)

Since then I've spent money on much smaller prizes and got much more buzz that way (it's amazing how excited people will get for $1.99 apps) I'm not saying iPad2 or similar prize is a bad idea, it's just not very easy to get good mileage out of it.

It's very wise to have a marketing budget of >$1000 and I don't even know if that is enough. I am smack in the middle of researching how the hell to promote my own upcoming release and throwing some money around in that regard.. most of it goes to apps given out to people to draw them into my Facebook page and stuff like that, get them talking & involving their peers..

as for buying adspace on TA or whatnot, I can't speak from experience but unless you have a Gears of War looking type of game I don't imagine it would get you much return..

Last edited by headcaseGames; 03-29-2011 at 04:11 PM.
03-29-2011, 04:15 PM
Best bang for my buck (actually a buck 80)

Amazing 18 year old that didn't have bus fare. Skinny with great big cans. Stayed at my place for 2 weeks until I got sick of not getting anything done.

STR8TS , STR8TS 6X6 , DOMINO DICE , PUZZLE DICE,
CAVEMAN TEST, 1 TO 25, SUDOKU+STR8TS, ZARTE, ABSORB WATER, YOU, TIME SHEET (PHOTO VERIFIED),Office Alarm, Travel weather, dock clock,
03-29-2011, 04:20 PM
Hmm... that does sound quite humbling. Maybe I'll avoid that approach and go for the smaller prizes like you suggest. I want to reward players for adding to the content.

Fortunately, the way I've collected the data allows me to be quite versatile. One other approach could be to offer a weekly prize for the most popular puzzle. This way there is incentive to keep creating puzzles. This could be simply $20 of apps. Which for kids is a big prize I guess, and for me is next to nothing.
03-29-2011, 04:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syndicated puzzles View Post
amazing 18 year old that didn't have bus fare. Skinny with great big cans. Stayed at my place for 2 weeks until i got sick of not getting anything done.
lol...

řƹȡ1
03-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicated Puzzles View Post
Amazing 18 year old that didn't have bus fare. Skinny with great big cans. Stayed at my place for 2 weeks until I got sick of not getting anything done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red1 View Post
lol...
Not really appropriate, but whatever.