★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: How have your game purchases evolved since first buying game apps?

04-05-2009, 07:34 PM
How have your game purchases evolved since first buying game apps?

Hello,

Just curious to know if people's buying habits have changed
since they first started buying games on the app store? I've had
my 2nd gen 16g Touch since September and when I first started
getting games my main criteria was price, so initially my games were
either lite/free editions or 99 cents tops. Now that I've been an avid
gamer on my touch I've come to realize that price is not everything.
Now I'm not saying that I can afford to spend much for games but
in the scheme of things I've come to realize that many of my lite/free
games I'm no longer playing and that if a game seems to have good
value in terms of gameplay then I will invest more in terms of price. I
still believe in developers doing a lite version as a way to try out the
game since I have bought full versions after trying out the lite one first.
When the developer discusses their games in the forums and really cares
about making improvements that has made me purchase a game.

shygamer
04-05-2009, 07:48 PM
This is NOT game discussion material! This threat is illegal! Shun the unbeliever!

Game Designer and Producer of Trenches, Evertales, and more!

| Follow me on Twitter or EMAIL ME |

04-05-2009, 07:49 PM
I am the opposite. My first game was Rolando at $10.00 and now I'm planning on waiting for the sequels to drop to $4.99. I won't buy a game for more than $4.99 now unless I see the words "PSP quality" or "ngmoco." Rolando is an exception because it is so expensive.

EDIT: Kris I agree but I'm angry at you for messing up the greatest Charlie the Unicorn line. It's "shun the NON-believer." And you can never say it without saying "shuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnn...nah." Jeez...

Last edited by dmbfan1192; 04-05-2009 at 07:51 PM.
04-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbfan1192 View Post
I am the opposite. My first game was Rolando at $10.00 and now I'm planning on waiting for the sequels to drop to $4.99. I won't buy a game for more than $4.99 now unless I see the words "PSP quality" or "ngmoco." Rolando is an exception because it is so expensive.

EDIT: Kris I agree but I'm angry at you for messing up the greatest Charlie the Unicorn line. It's "shun the NON-believer." And you can never say it without saying "shuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnn...nah." Jeez...
Yup same here. I bought Cro-Mag, Brain Challenge, Bubble Bash, Crash Kart, and all those other games for 9.99. Now, I wait for sales, deals, and all that other good stuff. Usually don't buy games about 3.99 unless they're really good or from companies like gameloft where I know they won't drop their pries any further.
04-05-2009, 08:07 PM
No more impulse buys

Well for me, since I bought the 1st gen. Touch just for the games shortly after the App. Store went live, it was a lot of impulse buys based on the screen shots in iTunes - Super Monkey Ball was the first game I bought and it's still one of the best looking games on the device

Now I'm a lot more cautious in buying games - visit this site everyday to see others' opinions on the games around and base a lot of my buying decisions on them (although if the game doesn't appeal to me, I probably won't buy it regardless of the general opinion about a game being good eg. Rolando), since I've spent quite a bit already
04-05-2009, 08:13 PM
i bought my first game when i was an app store newbie, spore at $7. these days i don't consider any app that's more than $5 and even if it is $5 i usually wait for a sale. some apps have been well worth the wait (theseus, the creeps, frenzic, galcon, fastlane). some exceptions are zen bound, touchgrind, sway, fieldrunners...
04-05-2009, 08:33 PM
Good topic for discussion.
When the app store was new, I grabbed just about everything. Now--since the selection is so vast--I wait for the reviews. I also wait to see if the game will go on sale. (If not, I will still get it if it catches my eye and has good reviews.)
I am a lot pickier, and less likely to buy things as quickly as when the the app store first came out.
04-05-2009, 08:47 PM
I got a lot of junk when I first got my touch, not gonna lie. I just wanted the feeling of doing something with the accelerometer. Crash Kart was a good tech demo for me, nothing more.

I do consider games at that $10, sometimes, more, but when I do, I research the c*** out of them. I go through forums, review sites, everything. I'm a little more willing my $5 games, but I still get some opinions before shooting my money all over the place. 99c games are my only impulse buys, and even then I read reviews.
04-05-2009, 08:48 PM
I realized I only like word and puzzle games, and stopped buying the latest 'buzz' games just because of the buzz Also, if there is no preview video on YouTube, I am very reluctant.
04-05-2009, 08:52 PM
my first game was trism, and i have shelled out $10 many times for quality games which I do not regret, but now I go for games from 0.99-3.99 and gameloft/ngmoco/other trusted devs can earn up to 7.99 from me.

Playing: Hi How Are You, iBlast Moki, Rolando, ScareCrow, and all of my Plus+ games.
ngmoco:] Plus+ ID: Danlipson
Challenge Me!
PM me for free video editing of... anything