★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Buying games and not playing them!

03-30-2011, 04:00 PM
Buying games and not playing them!

I notice alot of people in these forums that say they have purchased games but haven't played them yet. Personally when I get a new game I play it straight away, but then again I am not very patient. I just wanted to see what other people are like when they purchase a new game.
03-30-2011, 04:09 PM
I usually play right away, but not for very long. If I'm scouring the forums I might download 4-5 in a row before I play any but it's not like I buy something and ignore it for days.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ

03-30-2011, 04:11 PM
I try it out for 5 minutes after I buy it. If I don't like it, straight to the trash can. If I do like it, then add it to my 150+ game backlog! Yay, it's come down a long way from 200+. I don't have a single free game, and I buy 1-2 apps per day on average xP.

Twitter: @back2this

Last edited by backtothis; 03-30-2011 at 04:13 PM.
03-30-2011, 04:15 PM
It really depends on the game, sometimes I'll spend $1 on a game and delete it after playing it once and sometimes I'll buy a game on sale and have it sitting on my device for weeks before playing it. I've wanted to purchase Secret of Mana for a while but waited for the recent sale and still haven't touched it yet. Meanwhile I've barely scratched the surface of Robot Wants Kitty and Superbrothers: S&S because I've been inclined to play a lot of Forget-Me-Not. I don't mind spending $15 or so on a handful of games at once and letting a few slip by the wayside.
03-30-2011, 04:31 PM
I'll sometimes grab games that go on sale even though I have other ones that I'm currently playing. In those cases, they'll often go to my backlog and I won't touch them for awhile until I get through my current ones.
03-30-2011, 04:48 PM
I've got to the point where if it's a game I've been really anticipating, I'll pick it up upon release and play it until I either beat it or delete it(if it doesn't offer replayabiltiy and/or planned updates). If it's just intriguing, I'll put it on my Appshopper and follow the thread for enough positive user feedback/reviews to stay up to date on it, a price drop, or an update that sounds like its then worth getting. Thankfully this has prevented impulse buys for sometime now.

Game Center: Diligence
03-30-2011, 05:20 PM
I'm a game player, not a game collector.

Why waste your money on games you know your not gonna touch for months? Even if you have the extra cash, it doesn't make sense.

Something like iDOS, or those other ones that slipped by Apple are understandable. But stocking up on Gameloft and EA games is like buying cottage cheese in bulk- they're gonna stink when you open them.
03-30-2011, 05:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradiso View Post
I'm a game player, not a game collector.

Why waste your money on games you know your not gonna touch for months? Even if you have the extra cash, it doesn't make sense.

Something like iDOS, or those other ones that slipped by Apple are understandable. But stocking up on Gameloft and EA games is like buying cottage cheese in bulk- they're gonna stink when you open them.
When you delete 5 paid games daily at least, this statement is invalidated.

If I find a game to be boring in the slightest way, it's instantly gone. The only games I put in my backlog are the best rated games of each month since I know they'll stand the tests of time. For example, I haven't started GTA: CW, and that came out over a year ago. 50 games in my backlog fall under this category. The other 100 are popular recent games in the top 200 that I haven't even 5 minutes on like I usually do when I buy the game. Sometimes I just have to play the new game though and spend hours and hours on it, like StarFront. It's cool knowing I'll always have tons of quality titles to play. I save these good games not because I want to save them, but because I don't want to get addicted to one of them, like StarFront (which I spent 30 hours on just the first week it was released), and have my backlog grow even larger. This happens since I always want all the new titles people claim to be fun. When I do find the time though, I play through the quality titles and enjoy them. Most times though during the weekdays, I'm pretty much just clearing out my backlog of games and mass deleting.

Twitter: @back2this

Last edited by backtothis; 03-30-2011 at 05:34 PM.
03-30-2011, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtothis View Post
If I find a game to be boring in the slightest way, it's instantly gone. The only games I put in my backlog are the best rated games of each month since I know they'll stand the tests of time. For example, I haven't started GTA: CW, and that came out over a year ago. Sometimes I just have to play the new game though and spend hours and hours on it, like StarFront. It's cool knowing I'll always have tons of quality titles to play.
This.

Twitter Tumblr

Game Center ID: mvanbeem
03-30-2011, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtothis View Post
If I find a game to be boring in the slightest way, it's instantly gone. The only games I put in my backlog are the best rated games of each month since I know they'll stand the tests of time. For example, I haven't started GTA: CW, and that came out over a year ago. Sometimes I just have to play the new game though and spend hours and hours on it, like StarFront. It's cool knowing I'll always have tons of quality titles to play.
I didn't mean you specifically, you seem to have good taste. I just meant in general, like when I hear of people buying games that are subpar today, and literally not even launching them once. I might buy a bunch of games I'm looking forward to, but I won't buy too many more until I'm done with those.