★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Advice on New Game & Early Game Play

03-30-2011, 06:39 PM
Advice on New Game & Early Game Play

Early game trailer

Youtube link | Pop Up

Some Gameplay

Youtube link | Pop Up

Hello, This is an early glimpse at a game im working on.Ive been working on it for about a month now. And I think i got the basic game mechanics down. It will be released on OSX and IOS devices. Its a 2d plat-former a mix of contra, super meat boy, and my crazy imagination. The music and graphics are all done by me. Some images for the backgrounds were bought from stock photo website till i draw / paint my own. Please take a look at the videos and let me know what you think of the progress so far maybe some changes that may need to be done before it starts getting more polished. Thanks

ps. Im new to the forums on here how do i embed youtube videos directly to a post? Thanks

pss. Is there a way to change the name of the thread? Just noticed a lot of other threads basically named the same.

Last edited by DJMoya; 04-01-2011 at 07:14 PM. Reason: added embedded video: How to change name on thread?
03-30-2011, 07:04 PM
[youtube]youtube code (after = sign)[/youtube

03-30-2011, 07:50 PM
Thanks Epox

Last edited by DJMoya; 03-30-2011 at 07:57 PM.
03-30-2011, 08:13 PM
- Retina display would be epic.
- Also, online racing will be awesome. It would add so much more re-playability to the game.
- Game looks like it needs more overall polish.
- Will there be power-ups and all that? (different characters, environments)
03-30-2011, 08:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epox View Post
- Retina display would be epic.
- Also, online racing will be awesome. It would add so much more re-playability to the game.
- Game looks like it needs more overall polish.
- Will there be power-ups and all that? (different characters, environments)
Online gameplay hasnt been added but might be in future updates.
2 player co-op and battle /race will be in the ipad and osx version.

There are only basic power ups now like extra, ninja star ammo, extra health, and bonus life for every 1000 points. But i plan on more weapons/power ups and abilities for each character.

There will be different levels in the game. Such as a cave, city roof tops, forests ect.. I will be working on new graphics and animations as the game progresses.
03-31-2011, 03:24 PM
What are the controls like on the iPhone?

I'm a dev at Namazu Studios.
Check out iDuel Online on the App Store
See what I've been playing on my Backloggery Profile
03-31-2011, 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NamazuSam View Post
What are the controls like on the iPhone?
Touch Direction pad on the left the up is to jump and the button to attack on the right
To throw ninja stars just tap on the screen where you want to throw them.Tap and drag and you can make the ninja stars curve. On OSX you will use WASD / arrow keys and mouse. Ill also post pics on here when polish more graphics and the UI.

edit: I may also ad an option to control the ninja with the gyro on iphone and ipad tilt left and right and tilt forward or maybe shake to jump? it could be interesting...

Last edited by DJMoya; 04-01-2011 at 10:26 AM.
04-01-2011, 11:34 AM
It looks like the type of game I'd play if I lived in 'South Park'
04-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janus View Post
It looks like the type of game I'd play if I lived in 'South Park'
Lol thanks I think Should i add more depth to the characters such as this

Im not sure if I should keep it flat 2d characters like it is now or make it sudo 3d as the image above? They are still block ninjas... What do you guys think? The graphics can be changed pretty easily. The above image is just a quick moc up.
04-02-2011, 07:26 AM
Hey DJMoya, I think you should keep it how it is... the look is distinct and querky, will help your game stand out more... and the text jumping around with the characters...again weird and different...but very cool! Don't bother with 3D, think you have a cool game as it is...and the trailer is funny...I think if you tried to 'polish' this game it would just loose its querky/cult appeal...

When you are done, try sending it to one of the more 'oddball' game sites like Destructoid or Krapps, somewhere like that...

What are your SFX like? If you can add quality and funny sfx that would give it something extra too..

The only thing I might work on are the little sprites that you use for when the character attacks something...think they just need a little more detail...

Other than that it looks funny, different, and enjoyable..

(P.S It does remind me of South Park, which must be a good thing right?