★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Almost every child played with toy cars, now you can play these sensational races on your iPhone or iPod touch in top-down racer style. Select your favourite car and playroom and get ready to go. Progress through the races, collect more and more stars to unlock new vehicles and locations.

GAME MODES
Put the pedal down to cross the finish line first in Race mode. You will be awarded stars depending on your final position. You can also collect stars in Star Hunt mode or improve your driving skills and beat the clock in Time Trial.

ROOMS
Challenge your opponents in 4 different playrooms.

VEHICLES
6 vehicle categories, each with 4 paint jobs, different performance and driving characteristics.

Please consider buying the HD version, you will get more for the same price.

Intuitive Computers's comments:

Almost every child played with toy cars, now you can play these sensational races on your iPhone or iPod touch in top-down racer style. Select your favourite car and playroom and get ready to go. Progress through the races, collect more and more stars to unlock new vehicles and locations.

GAME MODES
Put the pedal down to cross the finish line first in Race mode. You will be awarded stars depending on your final position. You can also collect stars in Star Hunt mode or improve your driving skills and beat the clock in Time Trial.

ROOMS
Challenge your opponents in 4 different playrooms.

VEHICLES
Five vehicle categories, each with 4 paint jobs, different performance and driving characteristics.

Here is a gameplay video of the iPad version. Graphics and gameplay are exactly the same on the iPhone.

Youtube link | Pop Up
03-31-2011, 01:29 PM
It looks like it could be awesome. Micro Machines style. Like it. What are the control options?

(GC = BUNGLEZ) (OF = farmersuitical) (Plus+ = bungle747) (Crystal = bunglez)

I review apps and games frequently in the UK app store, and here on the forums. If you want anything reviewed, just ask.

03-31-2011, 01:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunglez View Post
It looks like it could be awesome. Micro Machines style. Like it. What are the control options?
Currently there are 4 control methods:

- Touch steering (just like standard mode in Reckless Racing), this is the default.
- Touch steering with autogas
- Tilt Steering
- Tilt Steering with autogas

Users requested a virtual stick, it is now under development, will be impelemented in the next update.
03-31-2011, 01:47 PM
Hmm ok. The only racing games i've enjoyed on iOS so far have been ones with touch control (As in the car follows your finger) Or a half steering wheel on screen.

Nothing else seems to work for me.

Another control method that might work is the one from Dead Space. A slider bar.
Slide it right to turn right, left to turn left. You get the idea.

I'm definitely interested and have added the game to my wishlist, however after so many racing game disappointments on iOS, I think i'd be wise to wait for some more opinions on the controls.

They really make or break racers for me.

Thanks for answering.

I review apps and games frequently in the UK app store, and here on the forums. If you want anything reviewed, just ask.
03-31-2011, 02:16 PM
Wow, I'm surprised! I really was expecting just another average racer,
But no this is actually really good the screen shots don't really do it justice, graphically it's nice but it's the gameplay Im loving, the physics are spot on, as you go round a corner you can see the wheels coming off the track as your car leans to one side. The unlocks are cool as I can see they are going to add plenty if replay, you are awarded stars for finishing a race depending on you position and you usd the stars to unlock new cars, paint schemes for your cars and new tracks.
Really the only thing I'd like to see added to further improve this is the usual half wheel steering option as I normally use that method in things like reckless racing. Maybe the buttons for steering left/right could do with being slightly bigger.

Overall though really cool fun game. I'd reccomend it it you like reckless racing etc.
03-31-2011, 04:17 PM
Good to hear! I never got in to reckless racing for some reason.

My favourite top-down racers have always been micro machines and super off road. If this gets anywhere near the former, I'm going to love it.

I'll shut up now and play it before I write anymore.

03-31-2011, 05:15 PM
I just had a quick go. It's a really great game. Smooth, good looking graphics. Great physics. The MarioKartesq selection of game-modes is great. The inclusion of time trial is a big plus too.

A couple of early thoughts:

I much prefered the on-screen controls to the tilt, although both worked as they should. A sensitivity setting for those would be helpful.

I've only tried the first level three times, but haven't seen any items to pick up. speed boosts etc. It feels like they'd fit in well.

I'd love to see superoffroad (snes) turbos, although this would affect time trial mode. Mario kart dealt with that well. You'd get 3 turbos to use when you wanted in time trial mode over 3 laps. A clever player saving them for one of the rolling laps.

The controls are similar to Lil Racerz which I enjoyed.
I'll play some more and let you know what I find.

Oh, btw. I finished last in every race so far.

P.S. Does the auto-accelerate work at 100% all the time? presumably stopping when you brake.

03-31-2011, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunglez View Post
I just had a quick go. It's a really great game. Smooth, good looking graphics. Great physics. The MarioKartesq selection of game-modes is great. The inclusion of time trial is a big plus too.

A couple of early thoughts:

I much prefered the on-screen controls to the tilt, although both worked as they should. A sensitivity setting for those would be helpful.

I've only tried the first level three times, but haven't seen any items to pick up. speed boosts etc. It feels like they'd fit in well.

I'd love to see superoffroad (snes) turbos, although this would affect time trial mode. Mario kart dealt with that well. You'd get 3 turbos to use when you wanted in time trial mode over 3 laps. A clever player saving them for one of the rolling laps.

The controls are similar to Lil Racerz which I enjoyed.
I'll play some more and let you know what I find.

Oh, btw. I finished last in every race so far.

P.S. Does the auto-accelerate work at 100% all the time? presumably stopping when you brake.
For tilt steering you can find a slider in the control options to set sensitivity.

Pickup items are a good idea, I will consider adding them. In the second room there is a ramp that gives you extra boost, so the turbo could be implemented easily.

It is true, the game is not too easy at first. You need some practice to beat the AI opponents. It may be a bit frustrating, but the gameplay will not be boring after a couple of rounds. I played it many times during development and now I win only 50% of the races. For beginners I will add an easy mode.

Auto-accelerate works at 100% until you brake.

Last edited by Intuitive Computers; 03-31-2011 at 05:58 PM.
03-31-2011, 06:01 PM
Good game, I've been having a lot of fun playing!
It's like the lovechild of RC-Pro Am and Toy Story!
03-31-2011, 06:14 PM
I think the difficulty is just fine it's a good thing that it's a challenge, far to many games these days are too easy. And yeah it sure is fun IMO I like this better than micro machines as I was never a huge fan of it.
You might want to consider retina or gamecentre as I was telling a friend that I was playing "playroom racing" and he read the description and said "hmmm no retina and no gamecentre, I'm not buying it" I told him he's a fool for missing out. But some people are strange. Just my thoughts anyway.