★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

IDEA: Universal Games for Mac

04-02-2011, 01:04 AM
#1
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 993
IDEA: Universal Games for Mac

I was thinking Since we have apps on the AppStore that are universally compatible (i.e, .Not having to buy a seperate HD version for iPads) with iPhone/iPod Touch/ iPad, Why not include Mac as well. Think about it for a little bit. Instead of having to buy a seperate Mac version of ,say, N.O.V.A, you'll not only have a Version that works for the Mac but a Version that also works on your iTouches/ iPhones/iPads. Let's not forget Universal multiplayer. Imagine you and a friend playing N.O.V.A Multiplayer. One of you is playing on an iPad while the other is playing against you on a Mac.

Any Comments or Criticisms?

Like Kirby and Castlevania? Try Bliblob:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/blibb...447580464?mt=8

Looking For a Serious Gaming Forum Minus The Drama? Then Join GamingOutsiders.com
04-02-2011, 01:16 AM
#2
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curleh Mustache View Post
I was thinking Since we have apps on the AppStore that are universally compatible (i.e, .Not having to buy a seperate HD version for iPads) with iPhone/iPod Touch/ iPad, Why not include Mac as well. Think about it for a little bit. Instead of having to buy a seperate Mac version of ,say, N.O.V.A, you'll not only have a Version that works for the Mac but a Version that also works on your iTouches/ iPhones/iPads. Let's not forget Universal multiplayer. Imagine you and a friend playing N.O.V.A Multiplayer. One of you is playing on an iPad while the other is playing against you on a Mac.

Any Comments or Criticisms?
The major problem with this is the graphics, with good enough graphics for a mac it would easily take well over 1 gig probably at least a couple which is just a bad idea on a mobile device. Because in a universal version it has all the stuff for all devices thats why the filesizes are a lot bigger.

Lightning Strike Games Development Blog
04-02-2011, 01:17 AM
#3
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmiral View Post
The major problem with this is the graphics, with good enough graphics for a mac it would easily take well over 1 gig probably at least a couple which is just a bad idea on a mobile device. Because in a universal version it has all the stuff for all devices thats why the filesizes are a lot bigger.
Hmm, Never really thought about that.

EDIT: But, Maybe this could work with future indie games. Take a look at the file sizes for Super Mega worm on iPods and Macs. Super Mega Worm (Mac): 8.9 MB. Super Mega Worm(iOS): 14.2 MB

Like Kirby and Castlevania? Try Bliblob:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/blibb...447580464?mt=8

Looking For a Serious Gaming Forum Minus The Drama? Then Join GamingOutsiders.com

Last edited by Curleh Mustache; 04-02-2011 at 01:23 AM.
04-02-2011, 01:39 AM
#4
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 3,741
It would definitely bump up the filesizes which devs don't really want to do, but not into the GBs. That would be a different game altogether.

  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
04-02-2011, 02:42 AM
#5
Joined: Mar 2011
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osmiral View Post
The major problem with this is the graphics, with good enough graphics for a mac it would easily take well over 1 gig probably at least a couple which is just a bad idea on a mobile device. Because in a universal version it has all the stuff for all devices thats why the filesizes are a lot bigger.
This is what i'm thinking of too.
04-02-2011, 06:00 AM
#6
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
It would definitely bump up the filesizes which devs don't really want to do, but not into the GBs. That would be a different game altogether.
Yeah I might have exaggerated a little, but I'm with gameloft games it might happen. Either way it would be a much bigger file size.

Lightning Strike Games Development Blog