Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-02-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
Ditto. In fact, I think the whole thing from the very first town has a distinct "Diablo" vibe about it. I've not played long enough yet to be able to attest to the depth, but I'm definitely hooked and want to keep playing.
Definitely Diablo (in side-scrolling form), but I'm also feeling a bit of "Swashbuckler," that old fencing game for the Apple II.

Considering how generous the free portion of the game is, this should be an easy download for folks.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyAndWitch View Post
Oh, I missed.
It has IAP $0.99 for unlocking full version.
Why is this not mentioned anywhere on the game's App Store page? That's totally dishonest.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herosoft Ltd View Post
Why is this not mentioned anywhere on the game's App Store page? That's totally dishonest.
It does so now -- seems like it was an oversight.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
It does so now -- seems like it was an oversight.
Hmm, nothing in the UK Store yet, maybe it'll update later. Why is nothing shown under "Top in-app purchases", though? I'd have thought that'd be an automatic Apple thing for any game with IAP.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herosoft Ltd View Post
Hmm, nothing in the UK Store yet, maybe it'll update later. Why is nothing shown under "Top in-app purchases", though? I'd have thought that'd be an automatic Apple thing for any game with IAP.
That's the oversight -- I think the dev forgot to list the IAP with Apple. It's now there in the US store (under "Top In-App Purchase"). Seems liken other stores have not caught up yet.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:42 PM

This game is awesome. Besides Diablo, Swashbuckler, and a little bit of that OOTW/Flashback vibe, what Dragon Slasher really reminds me of is Demons Souls.

Much like in Demons souls, there is very little setup as to story other than you must do these 4 things (i.e., kill dragons). There are different areas labeled very pragmatically (e.g., volcanic region 1), but once you get there, each level oozes a surprising amount of ambiance and style.

Like Demons Souls, there is lots of loot, the Diablo-esque mechanic of retrieving your lost gold from your last life, and a town-esque hub (less of a town and more of a Demons Souls like abstraction).

But I think what reminds me most of Demons Souls is the way Dragon Slasher ramps its difficulty (i.e., **** you, player) and the intensity of some of the fights ("omg can't die here please please please, need to go cash this out). The battles are surprisingly fun given that it's a hack and slash game. Like Demons Souls, there is a lot of blocking and dodging involved (if you've spec'ed out your class as such).

I dig the silhouetted graphics style, lending this game both a clean, consistent, minimalist aesthetic, as well as the opportunity for players to project their own details into the proceedings. Note that when you change weapons and armor, your silhouette also changes depending on what you've equipped. There are lots of little details like that.

Anyway, I'm not far into the game but it's already sucked me in mechanically. I haven't yet encountered where I can buy the full version IAP, but I definitely will.

Thanks for the recommend, squarezero.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chespace View Post
This game is awesome. Besides Diablo, Swashbuckler, and a little bit of that OOTW/Flashback vibe, what Dragon Slasher really reminds me of is Demons Souls.

Much like in Demons souls, there is very little setup as to story other than you must do these 4 things (i.e., kill dragons). There are different areas labeled very pragmatically (e.g., volcanic region 1), but once you get there, each level oozes a surprising amount of ambiance and style.

Like Demons Souls, there is lots of loot, the Diablo-esque mechanic of retrieving your lost gold from your last life, and a town-esque hub (less of a town and more of a Demons Souls like abstraction).

But I think what reminds me most of Demons Souls is the way Dragon Slasher ramps its difficulty (i.e., **** you, player) and the intensity of some of the fights ("omg can't die here please please please, need to go cash this out). The battles are surprisingly fun given that it's a hack and slash game. Like Demons Souls, there is a lot of blocking and dodging involved (if you've spec'ed out your class as such).

I dig the silhouetted graphics style, lending this game both a clean, consistent, minimalist aesthetic, as well as the opportunity for players to project their own details into the proceedings. Note that when you change weapons and armor, your silhouette also changes depending on what you've equipped. There are lots of little details like that.

Anyway, I'm not far into the game but it's already sucked me in mechanically. I haven't yet encountered where I can buy the full version IAP, but I definitely will.

No problem -- just calling them as I see them .
Old 04-03-2011, 11:10 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by chespace View Post

Oh shit, Che flop Che hangs out here? Strange I never noticed

Might check this out. art style looks nice.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:38 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Ah..this was definitely inspired by (the second best game ever made) Demon's Souls. Very nice.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:03 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

I love this game. I die quite a bit but it's fun going back to retrieve your gold and see if you can come back with more.