★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Beartastic
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 9.5 MB
  • Version: 1.2.1
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating: 4.5 (2)
App description: Discover the addictive pimple game that you will keep coming back to.

Zitstorm has beautiful graphics, great effects and finely tuned gameplay that doesn't get old. Buy it today!

You have been training for this your whole life! The rules are simple: squeeze zits for points and create massive combo chains to really earn your place. If you create a combo chain that scores highly enough, you will earn a letter; when you have spelled out ZITSTORM you will explode into an untimed squeezefest where massive pimple growth gives you the greatest rewards. Learning to control and unleash Zitstorms at will is how you prove your mastery.

Zitstorm is the most addictive pimple popper for iPhone! Hear what our customers are saying:

"Smashing it! - - This is an instant classic! Great, challenging gameplay and rad animation! A must download!"

"Churns - - Very cool and nasty but awesome app worth buying"

"Zitastic - - Freakin fantastic iPhone game. So addictive, So fun, So pustacular."

Highlights
* Simple and responsive controls: squeeze your fingers or thumbs towards each other to pop pimples; scroll with a single finger to move around the playing field.

* Exciting combo system that rewards rapid planning and observation as well as reflexes.

Four game modes
* Blitzstorm is a classic time-based mode where you race the clock to get the highest score through combos.
* Mutant is a mode where you will grow awful mutant power-up pimples that extend your combo, spawn massive pimple growth or give you bonuses.
* Puzzle is an untimed mode where you have a limited number of squeezes in which to get the best combo chain you can. Play wildly or squeeze carefully and strategically.
* Free Roam is a relaxing mode without scores and time limits. Just enjoy roaming the broad skin before you and squeeze at leisure.

Beartastic's comments:

I'm thrilled to announce the release of Zitstorm!

The version in the app store is 1.1.0, with: amazing new music by Dave Sirianni, Gamecenter leaderboards and tutorial help screens. A free version, Zitstorm Fresh, is also in the app store: http://itunes.apple.com/app/zitstorm-fresh/id425347650?mt=8

Youtube link | Pop Up
04-03-2011, 06:27 AM
PM sent

04-03-2011, 06:30 AM
squash heads :P
04-20-2011, 06:43 AM
The latest update has just hit the app store, which adds music, tutorials, speed improvements. I'm also making a trailer now for anyone who wants to see the game in action, and a free version is waiting for review!

Here are the final three promo codes for the first members/lurkers to grab them and if they run out, just post if you'd like more!

ATWX7HEFM934
7TNRY6TEX43M
93M6FEAML6HJ
05-09-2011, 09:50 AM
Added an embedded youtube video to the first post. Here it is as well:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Have fun!
05-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Game Impressions

After playing a bit of the Fresh version (Free with a $0.99 IAP option to buy the full game) I'm definitely eager to get my hands on the full game.

While it definitely relies on its own morbid gross out aspect, there is a clever "high speed connect the dots to continue you combo" aspect that really hooks you in.

In the one free mode of gameplay you're given 45 seconds to make high a score as possible popping zits. While you can simply rush popping all of the whiteheads you see as quickly as possible, this will never net you a huge score. The trick is to build up big zit combo chains by popping a few blackheads in close proximity and then chaining that to a big whitehead for a massive combo score.

The game's UI is bit annoying but I belive this is intentinal, and interstingly, adds to the tension of the game. You can only see a small patch of skin at a time and even then, popping a zit requires two fingers (or thumbs) with dragging a single finger as a means to move your viewpoint. The game will present you with arrows along the edge of the screen to other juicy whiteheads but not really give you a solid sense of how far they might be off screen. To add even further insult to injury, these whiteheads don't stick around long so you need to think quickly on your feet when chianing the blackheads to a big whitehead!

The full game will give you 90 seconds as opposed to 45 seconds in the timed mode as well as introduce a new mode with power-ups, an un-timed puzzle mode (you'll have limited squeezes instead), and a free roam mode where you can just pop zits to your hearts content without timers or scores to get in your way.

All of this is presented in crisp retina graphics with sick sound effects and a rocking soundtrack.

4/5 (at least from what I've seen so far but only seeing the full version will I really know if it has any staying power or is just good fun for a few minutes).

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
05-09-2011, 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
4/5 (at least from what I've seen so far but only seeing the full version will I really know if it has any staying power or is just good fun for a few minutes).
Thanks LordGek, I hope you like the complete version just as much

If anyone would like to try the full version, I have a few free promo codes to give away. I won't post them here so lurkers don't ninja them all but post here and/or PM me and I'll send you one.
05-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Is it cheating?

I have found a much easier control system than the suggested two thumbs. Instead I just drag around my ring and index finger for much more precise contol.

So far I'm loving the full game's Mutant Mode. It is similar to the 90 second Blizstorm but with wacky power-up zits (when you are seeing a flourescent green or yellow zit...you just know things aren't quite right).

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
05-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
I have found a much easier control system than the suggested two thumbs. Instead I just drag around my ring and index finger for much more precise contol.

So far I'm loving the full game's Mutant Mode. It is similar to the 90 second Blizstorm but with wacky power-up zits (when you are seeing a flourescent green or yellow zit...you just know things aren't quite right).
Nope, that's not cheating at all. In fact, about half the players I've spoken to feel more comfortable with two touches to pan and one touch to pop, so I'm considering it as an option you can toggle. I'll see how the scores balance, though.

Mutant is my favourite, too