★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Thinking about making my first game!

04-06-2009, 06:24 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Thinking about making my first game!

Hi everyone! I've been thinking about making a game for the iPhone/iPod touch. I have no idea what the game will be, and have never created any game or app for any platform before. I'm just some 17 year old kid who wants to make a game o.O

Anyways, can anyone please give me some tips on where I could get started? I've already seen some threads with links to tutorials and stuff, but any beginner tips would be great on how to get started! I know some java, c++, basic, and LISP (lol), but I'm not sure if that'll be any help to me.

Thanks!

EDIT:

Hey guys, thanks for the help. I have a few more questions too:

Other than the SDK, are there other programs good for developing icons, and just the general art, characters, weps, enemies, and everything associated with an action game? In your opinion, do you think a single person could make a good, solid game, or does that usually require a group of people?

Sorry I'm totally new to this, thanks for the help!

Last edited by iGame; 04-09-2009 at 06:49 PM.
04-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Send a message via AIM to Sparks
C++ would be the most help.

04-06-2009, 06:39 PM
im using a program called gamesalad. it's still at beta, but i have this so far...
Click image for larger version

Name:	DRFT-Pic.png
Views:	29
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	2566

Click image for larger version

Name:	drftimg.png
Views:	12
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	2567

Artist and dev for Team Dropkick
04-06-2009, 06:57 PM
Any previous programming experience is a huge plus. Your first steps should be checking that you have the proper hardware and software,

Intel mac running Leopard (10.5)
Developer tools installed from the leopard disc
A copy of the iPhone SDK, downloaded from http://developer.apple.com/iphone

Then it's just a matter of finding what best suits your learning style. Some people prefer books, others videos, and others still prefer just tinkering around with source code.
04-06-2009, 07:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenk Studios View Post
Any previous programming experience is a huge plus. Your first steps should be checking that you have the proper hardware and software,

Intel mac running Leopard (10.5)
Developer tools installed from the leopard disc
A copy of the iPhone SDK, downloaded from http://developer.apple.com/iphone

Then it's just a matter of finding what best suits your learning style. Some people prefer books, others videos, and others still prefer just tinkering around with source code.
Oh dang, is there anyway to code on windows? I have access to a mac, but not at home =[
04-06-2009, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGame View Post
Oh dang, is there anyway to code on windows? I have access to a mac, but not at home =[
Sadly not. Thee are round about ways but they are extremly limited so it is nearly useless. I don't have a mac either so I have not been able to
Look into programming/developing either.

Beta testing:Not currently able to beta test Tested: iPlutoid, Fish Fun, Armor Alley, Underworlds, 33rd DIVISION, Robocalypse: Mobile Mayhem, Earth VS Moon, Cash Machine, Helion, Zenonia, Koala Dartz, iSR, Baseball Slugger: Home Run Race 3D, Crazy Snowboard, Galactic Gunner, Rune Mage, Match3D, Card Ninja, iGangster.
04-06-2009, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktfright View Post
im using a program called gamesalad. it's still at beta, but i have this so far...
Attachment 2566

Attachment 2567
I believe GameSalad is used to make flash games only, not native iPhone applications

Correct me if I'm wrong - it looks pretty cool!

Bullet Development (twitter) Bullet Skater // Psychedelic

04-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletDev View Post
I believe GameSalad is used to make flash games only, not native iPhone applications

Correct me if I'm wrong - it looks pretty cool!
It can export the game as an iPhone game too.

Four most influential games: Papi Jump, iDracula, Fieldrunners, Flight Control.
04-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkei View Post
It can export the game as an iPhone game too.
Ahh... I see. Thanks for pointing that out. Not quite as powerful as native code

Bullet Development (twitter) Bullet Skater // Psychedelic

04-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the help. I have a few more questions too:

Other than the SDK, are there other programs good for developing icons, and just the general art, characters, weps, enemies, and everything associated with an action game?
In your opinion, do you think a single person could make a good, solid game, or does that usually require a group of people?

Sorry I'm totally new to this, thanks for the help!