★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Kalimat (The Addictive Multiplayer Word Game With A Difference)

04-05-2011, 09:07 AM
Kalimat (The Addictive Multiplayer Word Game With A Difference)

Kalimat is aimed at casual and hardcore gamers alike.

Combining a set of rules that fans of the genre are already familiar with, it adds to the mix a set of rules and challenges that will completely revolutionize word games!

We love it and so will you

For the complete rules, click here

PRESS REVIEWS

148Apps rates Kalimat ★★★★ and calls it WORD MAGIC!

AppAddict rates Kalimat ★★★★ and says With the likes of Scrabble and Words With Friends dominating the tile word game genre on the iOS platforms, it takes a confident developer to try to capture a piece of this landscape. Enter Kalimat. Concept creator Farès Fayad along with the folks at AppsArabia and Piranah Byte have not only embraced this seemingly insurmountable challenge but prevailed with flying colors.
Kalimat is the great equalizer amongst tile-based word games.

Simple Reviews rates Kalimat ★★★★★ and says "a lot more fun & addictive" than other word games.

"We Talk Games" podcast (at minute 39:55), Jaden Walker says that Kalimat is "A LOT BETTER THAN WWF".

MeGamers gives Kalimat a solid 8.5/10 and calls it "my favorite word game on the go".

MacStories says "Kalimat is a refreshing alternative in the word-game genre".

AppAdvice says "Kalimat Remixes The Word Tile Game Genre On Your iPhone".

FEATURES

UPDATE: Now with Game Center support!

PLAY ONLINE – Choose to play opposite a friend from your Contacts list or against a random opponent.

PASS & PLAY – No internet connection? No problem! Play against a friend on your device via local play.

TWO GAME MODES – Normal & Remix. Remix takes the gameplay to a whole new level which includes a free swap, Ali Baba & more points the quicker you play!

OPENFEINT INTEGRATION – You can track achievements and your leader board progress against other players through the http://www.openfeint.com/ social platform.
Earn the highest scores and be the Champion on the global rankings or be the Intimidator by having your opponent resign! And so much more!
Unlock a challenge (5 secret challenges in total), and you can send that challenge to an opponent and select whether that opponent can take one shot, 3 shots or unlimited shots at beating your challenge.

NOTIFICATIONS & EASY ACCESS – Make your move and go check your email, you will receive a notification when your opponent has placed a word. Thanks to the support for Fast App Switching (on devices running iOS 4 and later), you can get back right into the game. You will also receive push notifications when a new game is created or when the game ends.

ALI BABA – In each game there is a secret square. If you’re lucky & your word goes over this square then you have found Ali Baba’s treasure & you will earn bonus points!

CHAT – You don’t need to leave the game to socialize or tease your opponent. The chat icon will display a number notifying you of your unread messages.

WORD LIST – Skeptical about that word your opponent just placed? Check the Word List and see its definition (requires an internet connection).

APPBOY+ INTEGRATION - Motivates users to share what app they're using and rewards them with a series of badges. There are 15 badges in total ranging from “newbie” stickers to “captain” of the app. AppBoy+ was covered on The Next Web and Techcrunch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Main_Menu_Games_bubble2 2.png
Views:	1
Size:	552.9 KB
ID:	31687   Click image for larger version

Name:	Remix_Timer_Green_bubble.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	31688   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gameplay_bubble.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	31689  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chat_Zoomed_In_bubble.png
Views:	0
Size:	737.4 KB
ID:	31690   Click image for larger version

Name:	Word_List_Definition_bubble.png
Views:	2
Size:	639.5 KB
ID:	31691  

Last edited by FaresF; 04-15-2011 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Added the AppAdvice review link.
04-05-2011, 09:07 AM
Kalimat (The Addictive Multiplayer Word Game With A Difference)

Last edited by ImNoSuperMan; 04-10-2011 at 03:43 AM. Reason: appinfo

04-05-2011, 10:14 AM
This looks like a lot of fun, does it have local wifi multiplayer?
04-05-2011, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalbertson View Post
This looks like a lot of fun, does it have local wifi multiplayer?
Thank you for your comment, it sure is fun!

To answer your question, it doesn't. You can either play online through OpenFeint's asynchronous multiplayer component (which we're one of the very first to use ) or you can pass & play on the same device.

Do you think it needs to have local wifi/bluetooth multiplayer? If so, why?

We discussed among us at the time a lot whether to include it or not and decided against it, but if it turns out that there's a big demand for it, then we might have to reconsider including it.

Cheers!
04-05-2011, 10:32 AM
Speaking for myself I think it would be great, that is how my wife and I play scrabble but I don't know how many other gamers are in that position.
04-05-2011, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Speaking for myself I think it would be great, that is how my wife and I play scrabble but I don't know how many other gamers are in that position.
Point taken.

I can tell you that it's going down as a "to-do" on the app road map but I can't promise yet when/if it will be implemented (a lot of factors to be taken into consideration).

My wife and I play against one another by using the "challenge a friend" option from within the game but to each his own

I look forward to hearing more about your thoughts if you decide to give the game a go.

Cheers.
04-05-2011, 10:49 AM
I'm a big fan of Words with Friends, so I'll definitely be on the look out for this. Will this game be implemented on other platforms as well?
04-05-2011, 10:49 AM
Will definitely give it a try. Thanks for posting, this game wasn't even on my radar till now.
04-05-2011, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordddd View Post
I'm a big fan of Words with Friends, so I'll definitely be on the look out for this. Will this game be implemented on other platforms as well?
I'm a big fan of WWF myself and that's why I created Kalimat and added what I thought was missing and would make a word game more interesting. The game is available on the App Store and we have a great update currently in the works (should be submitted VERY soon).

For the moment, there are no plans to port to another platform for the very simple reason of cost. It's a small project and it needs to pick up steam and generate revenue so we can decide that it's viable and then consider porting.

I hope this answered your question
04-05-2011, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Will definitely give it a try. Thanks for posting, this game wasn't even on my radar till now.
Thank you for posting as well

The app has been available for the past month and a half but I haven't been able to create the thread here until today (day work overload).

Cheers.