Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-05-2011, 05:54 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen)

@Fmrfox:

Knighturn has five different difficulty settings, and the difficulty can be changed at any time.
  • Easiest: Intended for children or those who don't want to fool around too much with strategy (50% less damage of own troops, 2 opponents less on battlefield)
  • Easier: Perfectly suited for casual gamers who don't mind to use some strategy now and then (25% less damage of own troops, 1 opponent less on battlefield)
  • Normal: Strategy is required. Some of the scenarios can be quite challenging.
  • Harder: For experienced strategist. Player mistakes are not that easily forgiven (1 opponent more on battlefield)
  • Hardest: For master stragegists or masochists (2 more opponents on battlefield)

The two titles that inspired me most for the design of Knighturn are certainly Battle for Wesnoth and (the) Disgaea (series).

Battle for Wesnoth is a great game, and I am happy for the developers that it got all the attention it deserves. The only thing that really annoyed me was the permanent death of units. In the worst case, this could result in getting stuck in a campaign if you had lost your best units before (It is some years ago that I have been playing the PC version of Battle for Wesnoth. If the game mechanics have changed in the meantime, I apologize).

There is no such thing like permanent death in Knighturn.
Even if you fail a mission, you will keep all units, items, experience and gold gathered so far. So you don't feel like having wasted all of your time.

Besides that, Knighturn combines the concept of conquering enemy outposts with individual class skills (see description above).
Alltogether I would say, that Knighturn has its very own style.
Maybe you give the free Lite version a try to get a better idea of the game play.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/knighturn-lite/id427424001?mt=8

Hope that answers most of your questions?

Last edited by niebau; 04-05-2011 at 06:35 PM.. Reason: Typos
Old 04-05-2011, 07:16 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

I see you mentioned that you were inspired by Disgaea... Any parallel to the item world in this game? I never even beat the story of the game, I just smashed my way through countless items for hours and hours.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:32 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

Thank you for the code!

I'll be back with impressions/review after I've had a chance to play it a bit...
Old 04-05-2011, 07:36 PM

I took the plunge watched the YouTube video and read the tutorial . The game looks pretty interesting .

May I too get a promo code once the update come out ?

Many thanks
Old 04-05-2011, 07:47 PM

From the video, reminds me of Fantasy General, which those of you that are old school might remember. Thats a good thing, mostly.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:19 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I enjoy playing on the hardest difficulty, the extra enemies really change up the strategy.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:12 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by niebau View Post
@Fmrfox:

Knighturn has five different difficulty settings, and the difficulty can be changed at any time.
  • Easiest: Intended for children or those who don't want to fool around too much with strategy (50% less damage of own troops, 2 opponents less on battlefield)
  • Easier: Perfectly suited for casual gamers who don't mind to use some strategy now and then (25% less damage of own troops, 1 opponent less on battlefield)
  • Normal: Strategy is required. Some of the scenarios can be quite challenging.
  • Harder: For experienced strategist. Player mistakes are not that easily forgiven (1 opponent more on battlefield)
  • Hardest: For master stragegists or masochists (2 more opponents on battlefield)

The two titles that inspired me most for the design of Knighturn are certainly Battle for Wesnoth and (the) Disgaea (series).

Battle for Wesnoth is a great game, and I am happy for the developers that it got all the attention it deserves. The only thing that really annoyed me was the permanent death of units. In the worst case, this could result in getting stuck in a campaign if you had lost your best units before (It is some years ago that I have been playing the PC version of Battle for Wesnoth. If the game mechanics have changed in the meantime, I apologize).

There is no such thing like permanent death in Knighturn.
Even if you fail a mission, you will keep all units, items, experience and gold gathered so far. So you don't feel like having wasted all of your time.

Besides that, Knighturn combines the concept of conquering enemy outposts with individual class skills (see description above).
Alltogether I would say, that Knighturn has its very own style.
Maybe you give the free Lite version a try to get a better idea of the game play.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/knighturn-lite/id427424001?mt=8

Hope that answers most of your questions?
You had me at hello, mentioning those two games. Am I to gather that you feel it's on par with Battle for Wesnoth? I'm speaking solely about the gameplay, because I saw the graphics and such in the video. If so, I'm in, code or otherwise.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:40 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen)

@djflippy:

I mainly mentioned Battle for Wesnoth because there is one thing it has in common with Knighturn: the dynamic aspect (enemy spawning).
When I play-tested Knighturn I lost a scenario now and then because I got surprised by the game's AI. I guess there is no more satisfying experience for a developer than that.

Whether Knighturn is on par with any other game I really cannot tell.
The development of Knighturn took more than one and a half year, and the result reflects my idea of how the gameplay of a turn-based fantasy strategy game should look like.
So I cannot make any objective comparison statements, obviously.

But if you trust the reviews of Knighturn's predecessor Swords & Earrings, the majority of players seems to suggest that the gameplay is the main strength of the game.
(I'm not sure whether it is a no-go to add a link for another handheld platform here. If so, I apologize).
http://de.appbrain.com/app/sw-ear-ta...bile.swear.toa

I think Knighturn has got its very own and unique play style.
Maybe the best way to figure out on your own is to check on the free lite version of the game.
It doesn't contain any advertising, data spying, or whatever, so giving it a shot is not much of a risk

Last edited by niebau; 04-06-2011 at 03:43 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 04-06-2011, 04:41 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen)

@Joshnsuch:

I really should know better than mentioning other games here .
But since the 'damage' is done already, here is what Knighturn and Disgaea have in common:
  • Units are carried over from scenario to scenario
  • There is no permanent death of units
  • Plenty of items that can be equipped
  • Each class type has its very own set of skills / special moves
  • A fun story which connects the main scenarios

So basically the answer is no. Knighturn doesn't have an item world

But allow me to point out one of the unique features of Knighturn: the focus system.

Each unit can individually set a focus on one of its attributes. One of your mages could set the focus on POW (skill power), for example, to additionally increase the damage of his spells.
Another mage could set the focus on MOV (movement range) to increase the speed on the battlefield while sacrificing the additional damage the first mage gets.
The focus of any unit can be changed individually before the unit enters the battlefield.

The main idea of this focus system is:
  • A further possibilty to customize your units (besides the equipment)
  • Many other games let the player distribute attribute points after level up. The main problem here is that it is easy to make poor decisions when you play a game for the first time. This is not the case with the focus system of Knighturn. Any decision can be revised later on.

Last edited by niebau; 04-06-2011 at 04:58 AM.. Reason: Typos again. Sorry.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:23 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen)

Default Knighturn Lite - Prologue

One further thing worth mentioning ...

Knighturn Lite contains the Prologue of the main story and gives some additional hints for new players.

So it is not a bad idea to play the free Lite version first, before starting the paid one.