★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Is Apple iOS technology moving too fast?

04-05-2011, 05:17 PM
#1
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 349
Is Apple iOS technology moving too fast?

I am very lucky to own a 32gb iPod touch 4g, but until recently I had a 2g iPod. I had my 2g iPod for about a year and a half in which time it felt like it became almost obsolete - more and more games were coming out that I couldn't play. Makes me wonder whether my 4g iPod touch will be similarly obsolete given another year or two.

I really feel Apple are moving too fast on this. A device that is only a year or two old shouldn't become obsolete so fast. Surely it would be better for the ios platform if ios devices had a longer life cycle, more like consoles, so that developers can really learn how to get the most out of them. And surely it would only be better for us as consumers not to feel pressured to buy new devices every year or so, something that most of us just cannot do.
04-05-2011, 06:00 PM
#2
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Area 51
Posts: 2,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prhaber View Post
I am very lucky to own a 32gb iPod touch 4g, but until recently I had a 2g iPod. I had my 2g iPod for about a year and a half in which time it felt like it became almost obsolete - more and more games were coming out that I couldn't play. Makes me wonder whether my 4g iPod touch will be similarly obsolete given another year or two.

I really feel Apple are moving too fast on this. A device that is only a year or two old shouldn't become obsolete so fast. Surely it would be better for the ios platform if ios devices had a longer life cycle, more like consoles, so that developers can really learn how to get the most out of them. And surely it would only be better for us as consumers not to feel pressured to buy new devices every year or so, something that most of us just cannot do.
I agree with u completely. I have an itouch 3rd gen and in a couple of years when the itouch 5 comes out, the 3rd gens will be left in the dust to rot like the 2nd gens r right now...

List of Games I've Beta Tested
Follow me on Twitter: @Jdragoon19

04-05-2011, 06:03 PM
#3
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Houston/Austin, TX
Posts: 13,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdragoon19 View Post
I agree with u completely. I have an itouch 3rd gen and in a couple of years when the itouch 5 comes out, the 3rd gens will be left in the dust to rot like the 2nd gens r right now...
A couple of years???

That 5th generation comes out in a little over 5 months from today. Lol the retina display on the 4th generation already leaves the 3rd in the dust.

Twitter: @back2this
04-05-2011, 06:05 PM
#4
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Area 51
Posts: 2,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtothis View Post
A couple of years???

That 5th generation comes out in a little over 5 months from today. Lol the retina display on the 4th generation already leaves the 3rd in the dust.
Lol sry typo :P I meant 6th gen itouch

List of Games I've Beta Tested
Follow me on Twitter: @Jdragoon19
04-05-2011, 06:26 PM
#5
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 1,030
These upgrades and steps forward are the way that Apple holds the price point. Also if they didn't keep these upgrades coming they would seriously fall behind other hand held devices.

Game Centre, Openfeint, Crystal, Gameloft Live and PSN ID: Smallville2106
04-05-2011, 06:32 PM
#6
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Area 51
Posts: 2,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavarotti2007 View Post
These upgrades and steps forward are the way that Apple holds the price point. Also if they didn't keep these upgrades coming they would seriously fall behind other hand held devices.
Ya but what he's trying to say is that not everyone can keep on buyin the latest idevices every year but I do realize that Apple does this to keep up with other companies and to gain more money.

List of Games I've Beta Tested
Follow me on Twitter: @Jdragoon19
04-05-2011, 06:34 PM
#7
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Houston/Austin, TX
Posts: 13,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdragoon19 View Post
Ya but what he's trying to say is that not everyone can keep on buyin the latest idevices every year but I do realize that Apple does this to keep up with other companies and to gain more money.
Which should be the goal of every company. There's really nothing we can do about it. Spend the money and get the latest tech or save for another year and have a possibly outdated device.

Twitter: @back2this
04-05-2011, 06:40 PM
#8
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,975
I find that a new one every two generations or so works pretty good, although buying one every year would get really expensive.

Lightning Strike Games Development Blog
04-05-2011, 06:49 PM
#9
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 4,568
iDevices hold their resale value pretty well though. If you sell your 'old' one when the new one comes out, or just before, you should get most of the money. Then the cost to upgrade to the new one is only $20-$30?

With iPhones this is actually better, since you can sell them off contract, bumping the price up. I've upgraded to a new iPhone every year, and make money doing it. I sell my old one off contract for more than I buy a new one on contract. Works out well

Twitter: @Zincous
04-05-2011, 07:20 PM
#10
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: The distant future year 1999
Posts: 999
When you buy an iPhone or iPod Touch you should be doing so with the understanding that it's only going to last 2 to 3 years. The second generation line of products are sort of a unique case since they contain the same hardware as the first but as a rule you should get about 2.5 years of support from Apple which isn't bad at all. If they didn't do this iOS would lose all credibility as a viable platform while the competitors specs continued to improve. I say if anything it's moving too slow, basic features aren't getting added fast enough to iOS and the lack of a larger screens combined with the lack of a storage bump in 4 years might be reasons they're starting to lose ground to Android.