★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Fake review on homepage for cash? (ar drone)

04-06-2011, 09:09 AM
Fake review on homepage for cash? (ar drone)

Claiming the ar drone has battery life of 30-45 minutes. No way on earth this can be true.
http://toucharcade.com/2010/09/06/pa...e-played-with/
04-06-2011, 10:48 AM
Calling it a fake review for cash is a bit strong, don't you think? Battery life if always subjective, and even if you disagree, alleging someone got paid for their review will likely illicit a strong response either way.

04-06-2011, 11:01 AM
Do you think that battery life estimate is low or high? Keep in mind, this was a pre-release unit which quite obviously was not the same as the final production model that shipped out to Brookstone stores. It's entirely possible they either upped the capacity of the batteries, decreased them to save cost, or a million other things that would result in whatever you think the battery life of the AR.Drone should be differing from my review.
04-06-2011, 11:26 AM
then still that review says way to much battery life.
Im not attacking toucharcade. but i cant believe even the demo model had this kind of battery life. thats why i think you got money from parrot to make this review sound towards the good side.
Why else would someone tell this if it simply cannot be true?

with a normal battery people report 7~12 minutes of run time and with the largest and most expensive battery there is, people say it can reach a maximum of 20 minutes.

with 30-45 minutes of battery life, the thing wouldnt even come off the ground so heavy the battery must be.
04-06-2011, 11:32 AM
iLounge who had a similar pre-production unit reported even better results, with closer to 60 minutes of flight time:

Quote:
With such meager expectations, we were pleasantly surprised to find the AR.Drone’s actual battery life to be slightly better than Parrot’s claims. Expect considerable variations in run time depending on conditions such as wind, range, and how aggressively the AR.Drone is being flown, but for typical outdoor use you can safely expect between 20-30 minutes of continuous flying time. By comparison, hovering on autopilot indoors yielded around 45 minutes on a single charge, and multiple short flights seemed to provide up to about 60 minutes of actual in-air flying time. As with the hulls, Parrot will be selling additional battery packs for $30, and serious users will feel compelled to buy an additional battery pack or two, particularly since a full recharge takes approximately 90 minutes.
http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/rev...od-touch-ipad/
04-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Why would Parrot pay TA to exaggerate about the battery life when they themselves state "When fully charged, the Parrot AR.Drone's battery allows for 15 minutes of uninterrupted flight time"?

...aaand I was just about to paste the quote Hodapp posted too

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
04-06-2011, 11:52 AM
haha borg. let me guess.. you don't believe in the moonlanding either?

not everything is a conspiracy.
04-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Another thing to keep in mind is that the AR.Drone is capable of having its firmware updated. While I'm not entirely sure what version the AR.Drone was running when I tested it, it's entirely possible that their engineers tweaked the power output of the WiFi, the RPM of the engines, added some additional logic to make the AR.Drone more stable in flight or tons of other things via a simple firmware update before the device was launched.

Heck, it's even possible that the power management logic they were using was entirely premature and draining batteries to unsafe levels. Like I said earlier, there's a million things that could have changed between the pre-release demo unit I had and the demo units being sold in stores with a device that complicated.

That's the battery life I got though, and it's confirmed by iLounge.
04-06-2011, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonan View Post
haha borg. let me guess.. you don't believe in the moonlanding either?

not everything is a conspiracy.
This is a conspiracy!! Its what they want you to believe!!!!

You are not pretty enough to be that stupid.
04-07-2011, 10:12 AM
you guys really should watch youtube reviews, see batteries with more capacity on ebay, about what the battery life is.
never heard more then 20 minutes of life - wich was with a double as big battery as the standard one, and upgraded bearrings.