★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Pocket God Journey to Uranus: Ep 3 - Mercury Rising

04-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Pocket God Journey to Uranus: Ep 3 - Mercury Rising

Our 3rd update for Journey to Uranus will be going live tonight. We have been really busy trying to make sure we keep up a schedule with both iPhone and iPad apps and honestly, it has been pretty tough especially because the games in PGU are way more polished than the mini games in the main PG. Moving forward I think we will need to focus more on sandbox features until we can get more art help.

So we added the planet Mercury to this update. Its a small technological planet that is closest to the sun. It has a silver ocean and it's own unique weather functionality. The lightning works more like a Jakob's Ladder with little lightning feelers trying to electrocute anything they get close to. you can also drag two fingers with this lightning, and they will be connected together with lightning sparks.

The game with this update is called Hover Jump and is modeled after Bump n Jump, one of my favorite arcade games when I was a kid. The idea is that you are riding along in a circular hovercraft that can jump into the air and knock your opponents into the walls. The road twists and turns and has gaps that you need to jump over. However, if your hover fuel runs out while you are jumping over a gap, you lose a life.

I think this game is the most balanced one that we made yet. It starts out fairly easy but really satisfying and as you go along, it starts to get really hard but in a way that makes you want to try again when you crash.

Moving forward we have something special we are working on with PGU. not sure if we will release a small sandbox update before we can announce it though.

Youtube link | Pop Up

04-06-2011, 09:41 PM
I love the name

04-07-2011, 02:58 AM
Thanks for the update. Mercury's a lot more fun than the original screenshots suggested.

One quick question: is it just me or are the pygmies unable to sleep on Mercury when the moon's out? I realise "only normal people sleep", but I thought only Charlie suffered from that condition
04-07-2011, 04:27 AM
Dave, love both the updates, you guys did a great job and Charlie is easily the best new feature for a long while in the main game. Quick question though, what does the kill-a-oogles counter mean in the new mini game ?
04-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edm View Post
Dave, love both the updates, you guys did a great job and Charlie is easily the best new feature for a long while in the main game. Quick question though, what does the kill-a-oogles counter mean in the new mini game ?
well, our other distance based games use a length measure called Oogles, which is about the height of a pygmy. a kill-a-oogle is 1000 oogles.
04-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Love the update do you have a plan for the next one?
04-11-2011, 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyWhoDoesStuff View Post
Love the update do you have a plan for the next one?
working on it now. the island of the gods

-edit- oops. I thought this was the iphone thread. We are working on the next update. but it's a secret still. I can only say the update will be of universal proportions.
04-11-2011, 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecazz View Post
working on it now. the island of the gods

-edit- oops. I thought this was the iphone thread. We are working on the next update. but it's a secret still. I can only say the update will be of universal proportions.
Oh. That's cool. Does that mean universal between iPad, iPhone Facebook or what?
04-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGuyWhoDoesStuff View Post
Oh. That's cool. Does that mean universal between iPad, iPhone Facebook or what?
well, the game has a space theme.
04-13-2011, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecazz View Post
well, the game has a space theme.
Haha well that's pretty suprising