★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Sorely underrated "Lead Wars" (now w/ map creator and vs. CPU)

04-07-2011, 07:59 AM
Sorely underrated "Lead Wars" (now w/ map creator and vs. CPU)

People need to try out this universal app. It's kind of fallen by the wayside, but the developer has really been remiss in pushing it.

The update dropped yesterday, and it has a map creator AND AI.

Youtube link | Pop Up

I suggest you run to get it. It's really polished and a hoot to play.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/lead-wars/id393340337?mt=8
04-07-2011, 08:17 AM
I bought this a few weeks back and worked through the tutoria and LOVED it. Then found it was only VS another human so never played it again.

Now it has VS AI, the game is back on - and can't wait to give it another go. It's really nicely implemented and assuming the AI is half decent, deserves to do well.

Jamie.

04-07-2011, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by icepulse View Post
People need to try out this universal app. It's kind of fallen by the wayside, but the developer has really been remiss in pushing it.

The update dropped yesterday, and it has a map creator AND AI.

I suggest you run to get it. It's really polished and a hoot to play.
I completely agree. This game is a great multiplayer game, and i now it has a map editor and custumizable rules, I can't wait to try it out with my friends.
The AI is a great bonus too!

I never understood how TA missed mentioning this wonderful game...

"To stop the flow of music would be like the stopping of time itself, incredible and inconceivable."
Aaron Copland
04-07-2011, 10:42 AM
AI missing in this game was huge... I'm excited to start playing this again!

Thanks for making the game more "whole".

Agent of TOFTT
Gamecenter Tag: QuickWit5
04-07-2011, 11:07 AM
awesome!! Now add in async online, with a nice 20 game queue; and this will jump right up there with carcassonne!

love the game, great work here.
04-07-2011, 11:45 AM
If there was a six-star option, I would've used it in my review. The developer paid close attention to improvement suggestions from these forums, and executed flawlessly on it. That kind of personalized caring is something rarely seen (Brendon from Blendo Games and Atomic Zombie Smasher is probably another good example).

Anyway, buy it. Totally worth it, and this guy deserves it.
04-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Hewg fan here too, but the more useful data that gets posted here, the less there is in the "real" thread. The problem then becomes, when new guy or new girl shows up and does a search, they pick a thread, which is basically a crapshoot, because neither thread has 100% of the comments and feedback. Not trying to be thread-nazi here, but in my opinion, it's in the developer's best interest to co-locate these in the original thread.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
04-12-2011, 11:00 PM
Thanks for all the kind words - it really makes all that hard work pay off

Note the main ("real") TA thread for the game is here:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=73684

Apps: Lead Wars (TA Thread) | Super Grav (TA Thread)
DemonStudios Ltd | Indie Game Dev
www.demonstudios.com
Follow: Facebook | Twitter

Last edited by DemonJim; 12-27-2011 at 01:37 PM.
04-12-2011, 11:05 PM
I am still thinking about picking this up, are there any videos for the level creator? I am just wondering how it works.
04-12-2011, 11:27 PM
There isn't a vid for the map editor but I'll get right on that and make one.

Until then think of the map like it's made up of lots of small sprites that you place, move and use two fingers to rotate. Trees, buildings, walls, bunkers etc., and river sections of a range of curvatures that snap together allowing you to build long realistic meandering rivers (including a three-way river split section).

Making rivers is a lot like making up a Scalextric track - with the same issue of it being hard to join two fixed runs - so the trick is to make ALL adjoining rivers lead out from a single starting section - and put bridges in as you go along (sketching on paper first is a good idea).

Creating a map that plays well isn't easy - you need obstructions to give cover but not too many to make moving frustrating, and it has to look nice without any repetition.

Apps: Lead Wars (TA Thread) | Super Grav (TA Thread)
DemonStudios Ltd | Indie Game Dev
www.demonstudios.com
Follow: Facebook | Twitter