★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Hamster Dash

11-02-2008, 05:27 PM
Hamster Dash

Just wanted to let everyone know Brain Stain's first game, Hamster Dash, was approved for sale in the App Store last night.

Hamster Dash is a puzzle-arcade game in which you use the touch screen to rotate tubes to guide a hamster through a maze. The level is complete once the hamster has visited all of the tubes in the maze. As you progress the hamster moves faster and the mazes become more complex making the game more challenging.

I'd love to hear what you guys think and any suggestions on how the game could be improved.

iTunes Link:
itms://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...&mt=8&s=143441

Screenshot:

Last edited by BSEJames; 04-21-2009 at 04:26 AM. Reason: added sig
11-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Looks neat! But a little pricey. I'll wait and see how it goes

11-02-2008, 07:05 PM
I had the BB version of this, and judging from the screenshots it was very similar... Basically you control that little guy and try to get all the nuts (looks like almonds) but as i recall it was all about timing... he got into all sorts of mischief so maybe this will be good!
11-02-2008, 07:36 PM
isn't this like floverload except with hamsters?
11-02-2008, 07:51 PM
it was called "Hamster loco"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeOl8DMMlQc

http://www.mobiles24.com/downloads/s...r_loco_240x320

So yeah, looks like the same graphics!
11-02-2008, 10:15 PM
Actually, you don't directly control the hamster at all. After a 5 second head start the hamster will start moving in whatever direction he is facing. You manipulate where he goes by rotating the tubes in front of him. If he falls out along the way you loose a life. It is a little more like floverload as break5 describes. One big difference is that your not trying to direct the hamster to a goal/exit. You are trying to get him to visit every tube in the level. You are allowed to visit the same tube multiple times as well as make the hamster go in a loop. As you enter each tube it turns green. Once all the tubes are green the level is cleared.

I like to think of the game as a sort of reverse pac-man. In pac-man you have to visit every part of the maze by eating all of the pellets while avoiding the ghosts. In hamster dash instead of controlling where "pac-man" goes you control the maze. In the original concept I also had spiders in the tubes that you had to avoid letting the hamster run into much like the ghosts in pac-man. That version ended up making the game too hard to play so they were removed. There are bonus items to collect along the way like in pac-man. The one seen in the screenshot is supposed to be a sunflower seed :P
11-02-2008, 10:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wegmans View Post
it was called "Hamster loco"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeOl8DMMlQc

http://www.mobiles24.com/downloads/s...r_loco_240x320

So yeah, looks like the same graphics!
That Hamster Loco game looks pretty neat. I hadn't seen it before but the graphics look pretty polished so I will take the comparison as a complement. Looks like they are also playing on the hamster/sunflower seed theme too. I wonder if they also have carrots and cheese?
12-25-2008, 04:10 PM
OK, so based on the other posts here, we've established that it's not necessary to create an endless loop for the hamster to go through just the once, and that the hamster can in fact go through various sections of pipe multiple times...

But what happens when the hamster reaches an "end-piece" of pipe? A pipe-section that's open at one end but closed at the other end?
Does he turn around and continue back along the pipes?
I assume so, but I'd just like clarification on that, thanks.

Artwork, animation & UI-design for Beyond Ynth Parachute Panic Chicken Raid
Multiple icon-sets design for Thingy Blox

Last edited by BrettArchibald; 12-25-2008 at 04:13 PM.
01-04-2009, 10:43 AM
any more reviews on this? is it similar to the puzzle game from Bioshock on the 360?
01-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Reminds me of the pipe-puzzles in BioShock. Very nice.

A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time.

- Shigeru Miyamoto