★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Dead Space (iPhone) on sale for $4.99 this weekend!

04-09-2011, 06:05 AM
Dead Space (iPhone) on sale for $4.99 this weekend!

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dead-space/id396018321?mt=8
04-09-2011, 01:31 PM
It's an interesting sentiment seeing how the game shot up over 150 spots in a few hours with just a $2 cut in prices. Not saying people are cheap or anything (but they are), but yeah, it's interesting.

Twitter: @back2this

04-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtothis View Post
It's an interesting sentiment seeing how the game shot up over 150 spots in a few hours with just a $2 cut in prices. Not saying people are cheap or anything (but they are), but yeah, it's interesting.
Economics is a fun thing, really.

Of course since it's EA, most people are waiting for the inevitable $1 sale.
04-09-2011, 01:54 PM
Yep that's what I'm waiting for, the day it hits 59p :-)
04-09-2011, 02:09 PM
Easter is coming up, so who knows?

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind
04-09-2011, 07:21 PM
Quote:
$2 is like what, 30% off? Sounds pretty good to me already
Plus with two bucks I can get 2 more $0.99 games, so yeah the small price cut did make me buy it
04-09-2011, 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinger314 View Post
Economics is a fun thing, really.

Of course since it's EA, most people are waiting for the inevitable $1 sale.
It has a lot less to do with economics than with the general expectations of iOS customers.

In any case, it's been 3 months now, and this is the first time we've seen DS go on sale, and only for $4.99. Who knows when it will be $0.99. It really isn't worth waiting another 3 months to save $4. To be honest, in the nearly 3 years I've been an AppStore customer, I've never once waited for a game to go on sale before I bought. The mindset of AppStore customers just baffles me. They expect console quality games, yet don't buy games until they're a dollar. I wonder where these kids learned how the world worked.

04-10-2011, 12:27 AM
Quote:
...I wonder where these kids learned how the world worked.
...From experience with iOS market for starts. I hate how people blame the consumer for responding the marketing and the crash sale philosphy of iOS developers*. Marketing and competition drives iOS prices as much as consumer demand. Really it's basic conditioning (waiting leads to financial reinforcement which leads to more waiting). For the record, I often wait for sales on console games also.

Don't get me wrong, I jump on quality releases when they come out especially indie studios but I won't pretend to justify my iOS expenses as developer charity.

* For example with EA MK3 went $0.99 within a month; just this weekend Death Rally drops 40% off within a month of release. Legendary Wars bought day one for $2.99 then drop to $0.99 with 2 weeks, etc, etc...

Last edited by undeadcow; 04-10-2011 at 12:32 AM.
04-10-2011, 12:52 AM
I'll save my paragraphs upon paragraphs of economic thought on the AppStore market for another day. There are always two sides to every story, aren't there?

In any case, customers deserve to be blamed when half the comments of every new quality title being sold for more than $0.99 cents are stating "I'll buy this when it's $0.99" the day the damn game is released. You know very well that this mindset of entitlement has nothing to do with market/price driving forces. I'm not saying we should just throw cash at developers; I'm saying that if you're going to trash every single game until it's a dollar, then stop begging for quality game. Developers are just as human as the rest of us and have the same needs.

The examples you stated are valid. These instances ARE indeed relevant to market forces. MK3 sold like crap with its untimely release during the holiday season. How is EA going to save a game that would go nearly unnoticed? They're going to reinforce the race to the bottom of course. Death Rally was falling off the the charts last night, nearly exiting the top 100 in less than two weeks. After the update was live, the developers needed a way to bring it back to the top. What better way to do that but to hold a sale? Legendary Wars was completely overshadowed by Braveheart at the time. People considered them similar games, but with the help of Apple's feature and the general feelings of customers, Braveheart sold like hot cakes, while Legendary Wars sure as hell didn't. Competition drove this one down to a dollar.

So how could any of this be the customer's fault? It's simple really. It was their choice to buy the game as soon as it was out, not the the developers. If you're planning on just waiting for every game over a dollar to go on sale after such an experience as the ones mentioned, then that's fine. All I'm asking is if that's your plan, just don't share it with the rest of us. It's really something that I'll just have to accept I guess. When I'm constantly seeing the people here on TA that I'd call friends do it, there's really not much that I can say or do that would mean anything. The truth is that there will always be enough of us who do buy the games at the original price to reward the developers if the game is worthy.

Last edited by backtothis; 04-10-2011 at 01:11 AM.
04-10-2011, 01:22 AM
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
Quote:
I'll save my paragraphs upon paragraphs of economic thought on the AppStore market for another day. There are always two sides to every story, aren't there?

In any case, customers deserve to be blamed when half the comments of every new quality title being sold for more than $0.99 cents are stating "I'll buy this when it's $0.99" the day the damn game is released. You know very well that this mindset of entitlement has nothing to do with market/price driving forces. I'm not saying we should just throw cash at developers; I'm saying that if you're going to trash every single game until it's a dollar, then stop begging for quality game. Developers are just as human as the rest of us and have the same needs.

The examples you stated are valid. These instances ARE indeed relevant to market forces. MK3 sold like crap with its untimely release during the holiday season. How is EA going to save a game that would go nearly unnoticed? They're going to reinforce the race to the bottom of course. Death Rally was falling off the the charts last night, nearly exiting the top 100 in less than two weeks. After the update was live, the developers needed a way to bring it back to the top. What better way to do that but to hold a sale? Legendary Wars was completely overshadowed by Braveheart at the time. People considered them similar games, but with the help of Apple's feature and the general feelings of customers, Braveheart sold like hot cakes, while Legendary Wars sure as hell didn't. Competition drove this one down to a dollar.

So how could any of this be the customer's fault? It's simple really. It was their choice to buy the game as soon as it was out, not the the developers. If you're planning on just waiting for every game over a dollar to go on sale after such an experience as the ones mentioned, then that's fine. All I'm asking is if that's your plan, just don't share it with the rest of us. It's really something that I'll just have to accept I guess. When I'm constantly seeing the people here on TA that I'd call friends do it, there's really not much that I can say or do that would mean anything. The truth is that there will always be enough of us who do buy the games at the original price to reward the developers if the game is worthy.
Agreed. +1. I hate it when people just totally ruin a thread about good game discussion and gameplay tips with a stupid statement like "$7!? I'll just wait til its $1". Its so annoying. They act like anything over $1 is overpriced. If thats the case, they obviously don't have a console. There minds would surely burst when they see that $50 pricetag.