★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Walkabout Game - Universal App, no Ads - Free/$0.99

04-09-2011, 08:59 AM
Walkabout Game - Universal App, no Ads - Free/$0.99

Walkabout - extremely challenging puzzler - iPhone/iPad: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...ight=walkabout
04-11-2011, 08:50 PM
12th April Promo code:

F6WRPN9L7XRE

Walkabout - extremely challenging puzzler - iPhone/iPad: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...ight=walkabout

04-11-2011, 09:11 PM
I'm surprised, but no one had taken the code yet. I'm downloading now and will report back after I play a bit.
04-11-2011, 10:38 PM
well, Ive downloaded the lite version, really tortured by the control and gave it up.

Rather, I prefer tilt control than this.
04-11-2011, 11:33 PM
I just played the first six levels and attempted the bonus level that I opened. I actually think this is quite a clever puzzle game. Unlike flybird, I liked the controls. The fact that you can swipe pretty much anywhere on the screen makes this pretty easy to control. Were you trying to just tap on a square to move? The first help tip that comes up in the full game tells you to swipe in the direction you want to move in the center of the screen. You don't actually have to swipe in the center, though. I did play on my iPad 2 and don't know if that makes any difference if you were playing on an iPhone.

The game itself has you trying to clear all of the stars on the level by walking over the spaces they are on. The trick is that you can only enter a space once. Though sometimes the spaces do disappear to reveal another level underneath them. I thought it was especially interesting that you need to plan your movement to allow the possibility of retracing steps after the first few levels. When you get stuck on a level, you can retry the level multiple times until you get it right or to beat your previous time.

The only things that I would like to see changed:
- In some levels you have to zoom out to see everything. I would prefer if those levels started zoomed out. I shouldn't have to guess or waste time zooming out at the start of the level.

- I could see getting stuck on a level and not being able to advance. At the moment I have have one bonus level and the next regular level that I can play. I have no idea if you can progress after awhile even if stuck. That would be very frustrating. I hate when I hit a point in a puzzle game where I simply can't continue because the developer thought that would be a nice challenge. I would rather be able to skip ahead and come back later. Maybe bonus levels could depend on not skipping levels to unlock them?

Other than that, this is a a very nice little puzzle game. I would like to see those few changes and to see continued support for the game with new levels as the developer stated in the description.
04-12-2011, 04:56 AM
Hi

Great feedback!

- Zoom: Do you think I should start all levels zoomed out, or perhaps store the preference? So if you were zoomed out in the last level the next one stays zoomed out too?

- Stuck: There is a walkthrough in the description of the app. I could add a link in game I guess (they are youtube videos). Or I could unlock 2 levels at a time. OR perhaps a whole page is better? Actually that makes sense. I could unlock 16 levels at a time and the next 16 don't unlock until you completed them all.

04-12-2011, 04:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybird View Post
well, Ive downloaded the lite version, really tortured by the control and gave it up.

Rather, I prefer tilt control than this.
I think like Finandir was saying you may have been trying to swipe on the character. I've seen a few people get confused by that. I think i'll add an animation to the first level to make it clearer.

04-12-2011, 05:41 PM
I'm going to stop posting promo codes daily in my threads, and instead either post here and request one, or PM me As long as I have promo codes left you'll get one. No need to try to convince me

Too many people in my other threads take them but don't say anything - and I don't know if they're used or not!

04-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kam187 View Post
- Zoom: Do you think I should start all levels zoomed out, or perhaps store the preference? So if you were zoomed out in the last level the next one stays zoomed out too?
Either way could work. I would recommend starting the game zoomed out and then introduce zooming in right away to explain to people that they have that choice. From then on, I would just remember how the user left it. The other option would be to add a preference to the options screen to set this and then let the player choose to start zoomed in/out. If you do that, make sure to mention it in the explanation of zooming in/out.

Quote:
- Stuck: There is a walkthrough in the description of the app. I could add a link in game I guess (they are youtube videos). Or I could unlock 2 levels at a time. OR perhaps a whole page is better? Actually that makes sense. I could unlock 16 levels at a time and the next 16 don't unlock until you completed them all.
I think always having at least 4 levels unlocked would be good. The problem with requiring them to all be completed before unlocking the next group is the same as only having one level unlocked. Always having at least a few unlocked gives people the option of skipping ahead with a few possibilities but still makes people need to play to unlock more. Then, if someone is completely stuck, they have the walkthrough videos to watch. Probably telling people after about 5 or 6 restarts that if they are completely stuck they can skip to another level and come back later or follow the link to see the solution would be a good idea also. This should probably just be a one time occurrence so that it doesn't become annoying.

Adding a link in the game is definitely a good idea. Maybe warn people that it will take them to spoilers and that you recommend it as a last resort?
05-05-2011, 07:28 PM
Updated to version 1.5 in the app store. Now using the new release Corona Core

Walkabout hit top #100 grossing in 8 stores, top #500 in 29 stores and top #1000 in 30 stores last month!