★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

So... Best iOS platformer?

04-10-2011, 03:33 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
So... Best iOS platformer?

Felt like this question needs a new consensus now that quite a few newcomers have come out this year. I haven't included runner or jump games, just platformers in the purest and most complete sense of the genre.

Here are some great examples. Feel free to add any good ones I missed.

Soosiz

League of Evil

Robot Wants Kitty

Mos Speedrun

Hoggy

Karoshi

Max and the Magic Marker

Pizza Boy

Rolando

Rolando 2

Edge

Hook Champ

Super QuickHook

Hook Worlds
04-10-2011, 03:49 AM
Doctor of Game of the Week-ology
Great list you got there. Favs would have to be: LoE, RwK, Rolando 2, Karoshi, and Mos. Didn't really like Soosiz.

04-10-2011, 03:58 AM
FROGATTO! Best one out there.

I am so omniscient; if there were to be two omniscience's
I would be both!
04-10-2011, 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crex View Post
Great list you got there. Favs would have to be: LoE, RwK, Rolando 2, Karoshi, and Mos. Didn't really like Soosiz.
When it came out in late 2009 Soosiz was amazing - a fully featured game with a unique mechanic, and I still have love for it. It was one of the first to reject the full movement joystick and simply relegate it to left/ right buttons, so at the time it was the best controlling platformer.

Since then though games like LoE and RWK have surpassed it in this regard: they are highly responsive and you always feel you have full control over your characters without the game resorting to overly floaty physics. Plus you don't have to worry about a little feeling dizzy in those games. Then again with all the topsy turvy world jumping in Soosiz maybe a slower pace is needed.

I love to see a Soosiz sequel or another Touchfoo platformer to see what improvements are done in this new era of iOS platformers. Touchfoo is currently working on a game but nobody knows what it is.
04-10-2011, 04:06 AM
Nice list but you missed a few good ones like
Giana Sisters
Chop Chop Ninja
Chop Chop Caveman
Bounce On 1
Bounce On 2
Sonic 4
04-10-2011, 04:17 AM
Great list, but yes, Chop Chop has to be in there. Love that they think ahead of old school d-pad controls. Like Mos. Chop Chop Ninja and Caveman are two of the most entertaining platformers in the store. Right now, my fav seems to be Mos.

Pix'n'Love Rush is also fantastic, but rather a quick high score game.

{ Permanently addicted to: 868-HACK }
I perform. Therefore I am. You should book me.
..::: METROCCOLIS :::..
04-10-2011, 04:23 AM
LoE, RWK and SQH

Heavy Devil is my latest game, check it out! AppStore GooglePlay
04-10-2011, 04:25 AM
Mos is my favourite at the moment too, Hoggy has always been really fun, as have the Hook games, Edge and Max & the Magic Marker.

I could never get into Soosiz, Rolando got frustrating going against the time limits and LoE is good but slightly overrated if you ask me. The others are decent

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
04-10-2011, 04:28 AM
Everyone has their preferences, but I personally can't stand the Chop Chop games. And I really hate that they keep heralding their lame no button control scheme as if it were a success on the level of Infinity Blade, Dead Space and Tiny Wings. Their system is awkward as hell. Look I'm an advocate of strong gaming philosophy but am also extremely practical and results oriented. Half the games touted as "using the strengths of the platform" turn out to be bullet point gimmicks from the developer. Chop Chop Caveman and the other games are prime suspects in this regard: polished but don't control well at all, and the last game you want to feel awkward playing is a platformer. And their virtual control scheme was half heartfelt thrown in with odd physics involved, so you can't even resort to that.

Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. Should have included them for the benefit of the forum.
04-10-2011, 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by arta View Post
Everyone has their preferences, but I personally can't stand the Chop Chop games. And I really hate that they keep heralding their lame no button control scheme as if it were a success on the level of Infinity Blade, Dead Space and Tiny Wings. Their system is awkward as hell. Look I'm an advocate of strong gaming philosophy but am also extremely practical and results oriented. Half the games touted as "using the strengths of the platform" turn out to be bullet point gimmicks from the developer. Chop Chop Caveman and the other games are prime suspects in this regard: polished but don't control well at all, and the last game you want to feel awkward playing is a platformer. And their virtual control scheme was half heartfelt thrown in with odd physics involved, so you can't even resort to that.

Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine. Should have included them for the benefit of the forum.
When i first got Chop Chop Caveman i didnt like the controlls at all but i personaly found them to be a lot better with the new virtual controlls