★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Which flying shooter should I get?

11-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Which flying shooter should I get?

I really love flying shooters but which are the ones should i get? There are so many out there.
Venger
Zone Warrior
SciFly: Dogfight
Starsmasher
Vektrax
Vector Blaster
Solar Blaster

and I'm probably forgetting a few.

So which flying shooter is actually worth downloading?
11-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiller ONE View Post
I really love flying shooters but which are the ones should i get? There are so many out there.
Venger
Zone Warrior
SciFly: Dogfight
Starsmasher
Vektrax
Vector Blaster
Solar Blaster

and I'm probably forgetting a few.

So which flying shooter is actually worth downloading?
Zone Warrior, SciFly, and Vektrax.

Not everyone likes Zone Warrior, but it's a fun game I think.

Scifly is frickin awesome and only $3.

Vektrax is fun, but, if you don't like very old-school gameplay, I wouldn't recommend it. It's a fun game though.

Nanosaur is good too, though the save issue is irritating.

11-02-2008, 07:17 PM
Solar Blaster was not worth the $.99 in my opinion. I haven't tried the other games but I look forward to buying SciFly in the future.
11-02-2008, 07:24 PM
We reviewed SciFly and I really enjoy it. He needs to add a few touches, but if you like shooters you'll like SF.
11-02-2008, 07:26 PM
you sould wate for flying aces
11-02-2008, 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson View Post
you sould wate for flying aces
Why should people wait? What is good about Flying Aces? There's no shooting in the video and no enemies either.

Seriously, go get Sci-Fly! It's only $2.99 with an update that came out today and another coming this week.

Game Center ID: Vaelsh
I'm playing: Small World 2, The Pinball Arcade, Terraria
I'm waiting for: Shadowrun Returns, Micromon, Oceanhorn!

Last edited by vaelsh; 11-02-2008 at 10:53 PM.
11-02-2008, 10:52 PM
I have Vector Blaster and I love it, its amazing. Best one out of the ones you mentioned in my opinion.
11-03-2008, 01:04 AM
I really enjoy Venger, polished and challenging.

Zone Warrior tended to screw me over with own changes in how the controls were configured between levels, strange. Held it the same way but startup of new level and my ship went haywire on several occasions. Other than that it is really nice.

Vectrax and Solar Blaster I only played once each...boring.
Vector Blaster is a bit too retro for me, still love the music in it.

Not 3d but I really love Stellar Blaster, am in top spot on the global ranking at the moment. Polished game with nice controls and I have never yelled at a game like I have with Stellar Blaster so it is really engaging.

Have not tried SciFly yet, is there a story to it or do you just fly around shooting enemies to unlock other vehicles/planets?
11-03-2008, 01:34 AM
I like Venger a lot... Can't figure out if there's a difference between the color of the shots though (blue/red)

I also like Nanosaur A LOT... The save feature IS annoying though, but definitely worth the $2 they charge now... Plus, they updated Bugdom 2 with a better save feature, so I imagine Nanosaur could get the same treatment

I 100% recommend both
11-03-2008, 01:43 AM
Sci-Fly does not yet have a story but you are able to fly around and destroy the enemy in two different modes including Time Attack and Point Match. Look at the review that I did earlier on:

"Alright. This is the first Star Fox-like game for the iPhone and iPod Touch... and it is awesome! You fly to begin with in the Avenger which is one out of four ships/jets that can be unlocked. Yes I did say unlocked. This is one of the first good games with GOOD unlockables. Anyways, you also start with one world open to you with two others to unlock. The game play goes as follows:

You fly in a third person view, shooting the enemy ships out of the sky before they kill you. It's dogfighting with space ships and jets. Each ship has its own special weapon to use against the enemy fighters. You play rounds or matches (whichever you want to call them), in which your goal is to eliminate eight enemy fighters within a period of time, for example, 2 minutes. I have only just survived (aka 'won') my first match. All flight control is done through the accelerometer and small on-screen buttons including boost, shoot, and roll left or right. It will take a little bit of time to get the settings just right so you can find the perfect flying settings, but it is worth it. After each match, even you crash and burn, you get x amount of credits. If you hit a hill or the ground, you explode. But even if it says you failed, you will still get a few credits, like 2 or 3 of them. If you claim victory over the enemy, you get a lot of credits, like 40 credits. It's certainly a fun game with accelerometer sensitivity setup and starting angle setup also. I recommend to all Starfox lovers and the rest of us iPhone gamers alike."

Time Attack mode starts you out with one minute, and you gain more time every time you make a kill.

Go for it!

Game Center ID: Vaelsh
I'm playing: Small World 2, The Pinball Arcade, Terraria
I'm waiting for: Shadowrun Returns, Micromon, Oceanhorn!