★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Sprite resources on the internet?

04-11-2011, 04:26 PM
#1
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 51
Sprite resources on the internet?

Do anyone here knows if community made sprite resources made for RPG Makers are okay to use for a commerical app?

Or should I be afraid of the original makers to come and sue me?

There is alot of sprite resources for the old RPG Makers lying on the internet and alot of them are made by inactive users on forums, so it is really hard to contact the original creators...

If I make a commercial iPhone app which will get success should I fear a lawsuit in case the creator buys the game?

What should I do? Alot of these sprites are made by people well knowing that they would be used for games, but alas not commercial iOS games -.-

Should I just give credits to the forum nickname of the dude who made the original sprite? e.g.: Sprites: Made by user Lulz45 on rpgrevolution.com
04-11-2011, 04:47 PM
#2
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: In a car
Posts: 324
Well, i am sure if they are intended to be free for use than you can use them!The best thing would be to talk to the ones that made the sprites if it's ok to use them!Maybe yeah give them credits!

My Twitter:@Tudor
04-11-2011, 04:56 PM
#3
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLeQuack View Post
The best thing would be to talk to the ones that made the sprites if it's ok to use them!Maybe yeah give them credits!
Yeh credit are 100 % the way to go. Its hard to talk with them or contact them since RPG Maker VX is like 4 years old now and alot of people have abandoned the forums -.- This is why people should somehow tie forums accounts with emails so they can be contacted later :I
04-11-2011, 06:02 PM
#4
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Berlin, Germany
Posts: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by DopyG View Post
Yeh credit are 100 % the way to go. Its hard to talk with them or contact them since RPG Maker VX is like 4 years old now and alot of people have abandoned the forums -.- This is why people should somehow tie forums accounts with emails so they can be contacted later :I
do not use any ressources you are not 100% sure are free for commercial use.

free does not mean for commercial purpose.. most "free" stuff on the internet is free for personal use only. if you can't find a license text that comes with art assets and can't contact the original author, don't use them..
04-11-2011, 10:38 PM
#5
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.Ugly View Post
do not use any ressources you are not 100% sure are free for commercial use.

free does not mean for commercial purpose.. most "free" stuff on the internet is free for personal use only. if you can't find a license text that comes with art assets and can't contact the original author, don't use them..
+1, the last you want is to have to give away a large chunk of your profits and/or get sued in the prime of your game's success.
04-12-2011, 10:20 PM
#6
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Argentina
Posts: 264
Why would you make a commercial game using generic sprites downloaded from the Internet? The graphics of your game are a central component of it. If you can't do them yourself, you should get someone to make sprites specifically for your game.

Games made with "borrowed" graphics tend to look really bad, not because the graphics are bad in themselves, but because they don't go well with the game and with each other. If somehow you manage to get sprite sheets with an homogeneous style that also matches your game, then probably you're making a generic game...

Mariano Ruggiero // Follow me on Twitter (@ArtCoder) // Check out our games:
NEW! Elemental Rage - metroidvania-style adventure platformer
Silent Swords // Silent Swords ZERO // Crunchy Planets