How do you change an app's app store icon?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by fiveohthree, Apr 12, 2011.

1. fiveohthree

fiveohthree Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Does anyone know how to do this? Every update I've released gives the option to change screenshots but I cannot for the love of god change the app icon that shows up in the app store. Can anyone clue me in?

Also, if you know about that weird curved line shading thing that goes through the upper half of your app, please give me some info about that too...thanks!

2. FancyFactory

FancyFactory Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2009
    software development
    Germany
    #2 FancyFactory, Apr 12, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  3. Kriio

Kriio Active Member

Aug 20, 2010
    Budget and Finance Analyst
    NYC
    To change the icon on itunes, you need to upload a new icon image (512 x 512). If you want to cahnge the icon in the device, you should change it in the file that you upload to apple (should be 57x57 and have the file name Icon.png).

4. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    don't forget to add icon-72.png for the ipad (72x72)
    Even if your game is iphone only, it can still be played on Ipad and if you don't provide this icon, your 57x57 icon, will look blurry on Ipad.

JC

5. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    Also do not forget to add [email protected] for the retina devices. The icon size needs to be 114x114 pixels. And then named appropriately.

6. fiveohthree

Mar 10, 2010
    yes, this much i know. the problem i'm facing is when trying to change my icon (i'm going into the application info page in iTunes Connect and going down to "Uploads" and clicking that little edit button next to it) there is no "edit" or "upload new icon" button next to my game's icon! the most i can do is change my iPhone/iPod touch or iPad screenshots. that's why i need help :(

7. DemonJim

DemonJim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    #7 DemonJim, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
    You can only change the App Store icon on a new version of your app, it sounds like you're trying to change it for the existing version. So if you Add New Version you will find you can edit all the metadata for that including the big 512x512 icon.

Oh and the special gloss effect that you describe can be removed in the app's info.plist file, just add the field that says "Icon already includes gloss effects" and set it to YES. It will change in iTC when the app is uploaded (ie iTC checks the info.plist).

8. fiveohthree

Mar 10, 2010
    first of all, what is an opener...?

and no, i think this problem is better solved without the help of "iPad app development"

9. This is not correct. The icon shown in iTunes is the 512x512 one you uploaded to iTunesConnect.

It is possible to have a different icon on iTunes than the one(s) in your app, although Apple frowns on anything too different and may reject your app for it.