★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Turn-based Strategy War Game - Would be of interest?

11-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Turn-based Strategy War Game - Would be of interest?

I'm curious to know if many people out there would enjoy a turn-based strategy war game? There aren't many "real" strategy games on the App Store but strategy games typically sell at the bottom of the rung % wise on game charts, so....

Xenovoid - FREE 4X Galactic Conquest MMO for iOS, PC, OSX, and Linux
JOIN THE FREE BETA @ Xenovoid.com
11-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerOutfit View Post
I'm curious to know if many people out there would enjoy a turn-based strategy war game? There aren't many "real" strategy games on the App Store but strategy games typically sell at the bottom of the rung % wise on game charts, so....
I have seen a fair amount of interest expressed here and the Macrumors forums for Turn-Based Strategy. Something like Advance Wars would be a money-maker for sure

11-02-2008, 10:13 PM
I would pay big for Fire Emblem or Advance Wars. The strategy genre is severely lacking in the app store.
11-02-2008, 10:27 PM
Im all over that

I would pay for a decent turn based strategy game in a heart beat. Something influenced by Advanced Wars, Military Madness, Warsong, or something uniquely iPhone. Even if the game isn't perfect, I make it a point to support developers who dare to try something different.
11-02-2008, 10:30 PM
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=290813546&mt=8

I don't know if this is exactly what you have in mind, but it's a turn based strategy war game and definitely an addicting game.
11-02-2008, 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotYou View Post
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=290813546&mt=8

I don't know if this is exactly what you have in mind, but it's a turn based strategy war game and definitely an addicting game.

Yes Reign of Swords is awesome!
I would appreciate more turn-based strategy games for the iphone. Something like Advance Wars or Fieldcommander.
11-03-2008, 12:20 AM
I think there's definitely room for more turn-based strategy games on the iPhone. Reign of Swords has already seen a great deal of success, despite its high price. In my opinion, if you do a similar sort of game with better graphics (I find RoS to be terribly ugly) and maybe a more modern form of warfare (like Advance Wars), and if you do it well (maybe charge less than $8!), the game would definitely sell well. Just remember, keep the mechanics simple and the gameplay quick and elegant - special attacks and abilities like "Charge" and "Shield Wall" made RoS too complex to be enjoyable in short sittings for me.
11-03-2008, 01:27 AM
Reign of Swords is ugly, yes... But the gameplay is there.

It's a port of a game meant for normal mobiles. I'd strongly urge the developer to re-skin everything atleast, add a few frames of animation per character etc.

The iPhone is capable of so much more, look at Field runners for the perfect graphics / control scheme. Love that game.

I'd like to see someone do a port of the open source Battle for Wesnoth, if anyone hasn't seen that it's well worth a look, polished and free for OS X Linux and Windows(boo!)

http://www.wesnoth.org/ <- check it out if you haven't played it

11-03-2008, 02:28 AM
I'd really love for Ubisoft to do a port of Heroes:Might and Magic
11-03-2008, 07:33 AM
I was thinking Battle for Wesnoth would be good as well. I would assume it could be easily ported for the iPhone. I guess it would be free as well because it originates from an open source project.