★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Worst thing about iOS gaming.

04-14-2011, 05:24 AM
#1
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 49
Worst thing about iOS gaming.

If you took away all the crappy website based java/flash games that are free normally and pawned off here for a buck we would have 100 games left on the app store.

To me that shows a lack of quality of games overall on the platform.
For every awesome games like Nova2 or Deadspace we have 500 horrible endless runners or match 3 clones that flood our store that could be easily tried for free on a website...

Don't get me wrong I love my platform I just wished apple was better at quality control.
04-14-2011, 05:38 AM
#2
If that's the "worst thing" about iOS gaming then we're in good shape indeed.

04-14-2011, 05:55 AM
#3
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
If that's the "worst thing" about iOS gaming then we're in good shape indeed.
It would be a big issue if we didnt have great websites like this with an awesome community that helps people wade through the pile of crap on the app store...

Imagine if we only had the top 25 games listing to go by when looking for good games? That would be horrible!
04-14-2011, 05:57 AM
#4
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 305
Hmm, i don't really think that having a huge amount of games available is necessarily a bad thing. Some people like endless runners and match-3 games, and can't get enough of them. They then sift through the crap (of which there's no denying that there is a lot) and then report on sites like this with the best of their findings, so that others can make informed decisions over what to buy. I personally can't see how it could get much better, really.

Also, the free flash game thing is a non-issue. With my ipod, I have a device that i can carry around in my pocket, which i can listen to my music whenever i want, which has decent battery life, and can then switch over to play games on demand. I cannot say the same for a laptop or even a netbook, which would be my only other options if i wanted to play some games that would be 'free normally'.
04-14-2011, 06:01 AM
#5
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: England
Posts: 10,656
I think its a great scene.

I only got into it about 3 months ago and now have about 300 games on my ipod !

I love it. Reminds me of the 80's when a bedroom coder could create a game alongside the huge industry veterans who work for a large company.

Yeah of course theres a ton of crap, back in the 80's you bought computer mags to see the reviews and decide what ones to buy (as there was also a lot of crap back then, not all rose tinted memories).

But now you can view videos on youtube, go to one of the many gaming sites for their review or listen to fellow users on forums.

As for 'only 100 decent games....' thats ridiculous. Theres many great games, all different types of games. Its easy to avoid the crap. Some games you hate others may love and vica versa. Theres a huge range for everyone.

And the best thing of all, you can pick up some great games for free or 59p or so. Amazing.

I'm so used to buying games for 20-30 quid and then getting bored of them easily. Now here you have SO many great games for 59p etc (but still people moaning !)

Shame about Flash but theres still a ton i do on my ipod...

- Plug it into the car so i can easily listen to podcasts/radio shows instead of having to cut a long file up into 3 cd's or so

- View graphic novels on my ipod

- Watch a lot of movies/tv shows

- Of course a ton of games as well !

Its a great scene right now with a great mix of games. I'm totally addicted to this gadget and its one of the best things in the last 30 years i've bought. As a kid in the 80's buying a single game on tape for 7.95 if you told me then what the future held i would be excited as anything. Quality games for 59p !! Result
04-14-2011, 06:40 AM
#6
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,636
The worst thing is all the whiners and haters and doubters.
04-14-2011, 06:56 AM
#7
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwet17 View Post
The worst thing is all the whiners and haters and doubters.

Yeah.

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.
04-14-2011, 07:08 AM
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalhead980 View Post
It would be a big issue if we didnt have great websites like this with an awesome community that helps people wade through the pile of crap on the app store...

Imagine if we only had the top 25 games listing to go by when looking for good games? That would be horrible!
Clearly it's important to tell the apart the wheat from the chaff (which is where these sites come in). But it's great that there are games for pretty much every taste, and that buying the wrong game usually sets you back only a few dollars -- and gives you a chance to warn others.
04-14-2011, 07:25 AM
#9
Joined: Jan 2010
Location: Munich
Posts: 1,137
Send a message via Skype™ to Nullroar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalhead980 View Post
If you took away all the crappy website based java/flash games that are free normally and pawned off here for a buck we would have 100 games left on the app store.

To me that shows a lack of quality of games overall on the platform.
For every awesome games like Nova2 or Deadspace we have 500 horrible endless runners or match 3 clones that flood our store that could be easily tried for free on a website...

Don't get me wrong I love my platform I just wished apple was better at quality control.
2 Things:

First off, I totally agree about the horrendous plague of all things Flash on iOS. It's like I'm drowning in it. :P

Second, this user has obviously never visited the Android Marketplace.

I've placed geocached DRM-free USB copies of my newest game in various locations throughout Europe and Southeastern US. Email me if you find 'em for the free "explorer" cape.
04-14-2011, 07:32 AM
#10
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nullroar View Post
Second, this user has obviously never visited the Android Marketplace.
exactly
you think APPLE has bad quality control?
android has NO quality control
apps on the appstore are generally better than on the marketplace

GameCenter- alui777