Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-19-2011, 11:19 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

missed the post about looking for ipad testers, too bad for me

in any case, so it sounds like you went with a universal build instead of a seperate?

if that's the case, i might as well buy it now
Old 04-19-2011, 12:31 PM

Its not to late. Just PM me your UDID asap. Submission on monday means I hope to have all testing done in the next 2 days or so.

And yes Universal. You will be able to buy GemCraft now and then install it on your ipad later.

Last edited by Greyhoundgames; 04-19-2011 at 12:34 PM..
Old 04-19-2011, 02:13 PM

6th place on the endurance leaderboard, 22k. Will be able to get a lot more, as was playing on expert with my wizard being only level 28 (went to level 32 in one swoop).

The following is how I did it:

•••Spoiler:   I noticed that gem grade caps at 8, but damage and fire rate continue increasing. It seems that to keep playing one will need to keep adding 8's to make two super gems (2 are needed because you will need at least one super gem that is always firing). I had about 6 8's in towers (2 were oranges, which was perhaps not money well spent), a 2 of the yellow 8's were super gems with damage of something-1017. Chance of triple damage is capped at 50% which is hit at grade 7 or 8 (with the critical hit skill), but fire rate of the super gems got to around 210-220 and had not stopped increasing.

I used pure yellows as my kill gems which I believe likely do more damage than yellow/limes even with all relevant masteries maxed. It is, however, difficult to be sure without knowing the armor values. Its also possible that pure yellows are better against armored monsters and yellow/limes are better against routine monsters. I didnt have enough points to take both maxed pure and dual masteries or I might have used some of both.

I used pure oranges in my mana-farm traps. In some gemcraft flash games, orange/limes is better -- the bounce from limes triggers another mana gain. I dont think the splash of reds generally triggers mana gain but I'm not sure. Here, I have not achieved a bounce % with dual orange/limes of higher than 28% -- not sure if this is a true max, but at 28% bounce, orange/limes dont seem attractive because the pure oranges yield more than 28% more mana. I have no idea if orange/reds even work (if splash triggers mana gain).
Old 04-19-2011, 02:33 PM

Im glad to see you got so far into it!

On another note we are adding hard leaderboards as well in this patch.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhoundgames View Post
Im glad to see you got so far into it!

On another note we are adding hard leaderboards as well in this patch.
Thanks, having a ton of fun playing around with it, and will enjoy challenging the high score tables when I get done with the game.

Will give you detailed thoughts when I finish the game - still have all of world 4 to do. So far the only things I would recommend doing are: (1) perhaps easing up the difficulty of 2-2 and 2-3 somewhat. I am not entirely sure these levels can be done prior to level 16, which takes a fair (but not totally crazy) amount of replaying of levels to achieve; (2) greatly increasing the difficulty of the final bosses, which are currently never even close to a problem, usually dying long before they get through your towers. These are not true "bosses" in the sense of the flash games, where you usually have to save enough mana to allow them to go through a second time. It would be nice if at least the last boss at the end of each world was a true boss in the style of the flash games (Chapters O and 1 have true bosses anyway).
Old 04-19-2011, 03:10 PM

I'm enjoying this game a lot. I had fun with the flash version of this, years ago, but this iOS version I'm a little more drawn to for some reason.

By the way, there's a typo in the game. Mine is version 1.0.2. When crafting a gem, you can hit the "i" button to bring up the meanings of the various bonuses, like Splash, Poison, etc. The word "Bounce" there is misspelled as "Bonuce". I don't know if this has been mentioned, but I thought I'd bring it to your attention.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:53 PM

Thanks for the great feedback guys. We will look into it for this update. On the bosses all being easy. I agree but we made them easier for normal. What I might do is a difficulty based multiplier on bosses. What difficulty were you on?

For the difficulty comment about replaying levels. Did you finish all the modes? THose are how you get extra xp. Thats the idea anyhow. You finish all the levels in a world, then replay some on modes you unlock to get enough xp for the next world.

For any detailed comments with good feedback etc, you can post here but also send me an email to make sure I don't miss it to contact@greyhoundgames.com

I will be sending out the beta ipad aps in a hours or 2.

We are going to contact slide to play about their review. I believe the crux of his problems were that he was playing on the easy difficulty and thus thought all his gems were the same. The issue really is that on the first few levels on easy, its a cake walk and later on saystarting world 2, and especially if you try the harder difficulties there are many challenges to be had.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:55 PM

I completed the game (all "normal" levels done) on expert difficulty. Achieved the second place score on the regular level leaderboard with 30-something thousand on the final level. (Man, the first place score is stratospheric, wonder what he did to get it? Do scores on other variants count?) First, let me say that I really enjoyed the play through and think this is one of the better tower defense games on the app store. Second, I have the following comments, some of which I have made before:

(1) 2-2 and 2-3 should be nerfed a bit, at least on expert. As it stands now, I had to hit level 16 to do them (on expert) which really requires a lot of effort. This is the only spot where you really need to grind XP just to do levels -- I was more or less able to play straight through otherwise, just doing some endurance for fun. To get to 16 by 2-2, however, I had to not only do *all* endurance levels, but I had to use the new skills I got from doign that to backtrack and re-do many of the levels I had already done to get higher scores. Again, I wouldnt have any problem with that if that was the plan for the difficulty level, but this is the only spot where you need to do that;

(2) Bosses need to be a lot harder, at least on expert. Right now the final wave is a *lot* easier than the wave that comes before it. That makes no sense, on any difficulty. Again, I played through on expert, and the bosses always died less than 1/2 way through my towers. Granted, I use mana pool on the longer levels and anger waves, but on expert almost everyone will be doing that. I recommend checking out the bosses in the earlier flash games (chapter 1 and 0) to get a feel for how hard they were. You generally had to decide between using towers + bombs or saving enough mana to send the boss through your towers a second time. There was not such a boss on every level, but periodically, and you really had to think about how you were going to deal with them;

(3) This is really not a separate comment per se, but right now, with bosses being too easy, there is 0 use for gem bombs (except to anger waves) and no use at all for the skills that improve gem bombs. These skills are entirely without value, since there is no need to kill any of the monster generating huts on any level to complete expert. Skills in the skill tree without any arguable value are bad;

(4) it would be nice if the end of world levels, or at least the bosses, were different/harder. Right now, there is something of a lack of variety;

(5) you may as well borrow the story from one of the gemcraft flash games. Personally, I dont really care about a story, but some folks do, and the flash games have stories...why not use them?

(6) I enjoyed the ice world, because it had fresh monsters. Also liked that you could see visually which were the higher armor monsters (turtles). That was a nice add as compared with the flash games, made me want to see even more variety on other worlds.

Last edited by ArtNJ; 04-21-2011 at 12:58 PM..
Old 04-21-2011, 10:57 PM

THanks for all that feedback. I have already made bosses stronger actually on difficulty 2 and 3 50/100%

The other stuff ill have to look into.

In other news we didnt get picked up today on apples feature choices so to counter that, we decided to go 50% ON SALE!!!

To all those that already bought the game, we have an ipad update coming to you that gives universal binary as a thank you for your early adoption.

Please spread the word if you can to help us make this game a success.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:08 PM

Oh man, I used to play this online all the time. I'll definitely be picking this up for $1. Here's hoping it lives up to the original.