Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-14-2011, 08:39 AM
Developer
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Totally skipped the free version and went straight for the full game. Nice work guys!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:00 AM

Default Wow

If you think there are too many tower defense games out there, you are wrong. It was still lacking one AND ITS THIS ONE, GEMCRAFT. If you are thinking about moving away from TD games, make this your last one.

You will learn that creating and combining GEMS IS ABSOLUTELY ADDICTING. Yeah sure other games have towers that level up but this one allows you to combine gems and grow them as big and awesome as you like it
Old 04-14-2011, 09:09 AM

The feedback on here is very moving, particularly the bits about support for my new endeavor being self employed and all that. If you guys are interested in what 1 year working for yourself making games for the appstore has been like, I could write a summary. If enough people want this ill spend some time today and write something up.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:14 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Default Difficulty modes?

So, what's the difference between the difficulty modes (besides, obviously, the increase in difficulty)? Are XP rewards higher? Will the game save different high scores for each difficulty level, or just the best... which would mean you'd have to play the highest difficulty level to get competitive high scores (and more levels)?

So far, all that I loved so much about the original games is here! Slowly getting used to the UI, the pace of the first levels give you plenty of time to do that so it's all good. All the options are there, combining gems with near-infinite possibilities, insane stats, achievements, etc.!
Old 04-14-2011, 09:27 AM

@Maxime Briand
I wrote a short summary of them on the first page. XP rewards are tracked per mode per level so each level offers you 7 possible xp amounts that are added all together.
Old 04-14-2011, 09:31 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyhoundgames View Post
@Maxime Briand
I wrote a short summary of them on the first page. XP rewards are tracked per mode per level so each level offers you 7 possible xp amounts that are added all together.
Oh no, that I understood. Sorry, I meant the difficulty levels: Normal/Veteran/Expert ?
Old 04-14-2011, 09:33 AM

Gemcraft the flash games have lots of level-up choices just like Defender Chronicles, lots of customizability, a great high score system, and lots of charm.

However, even the latest gemcraft flash game felt a little "light" on challenge -- best case comparison being Plants vs Zombies. Super fun, great game, but fairly light on challenge. This occurred because the flash games suffered greatly from having only one difficulty level. If you tried to play straight through, the difficulty was pretty good, but if you went back and did the level variants that open up, the game got WAY too easy. Essentially, the game was trying to serve two sets of people (the straight thru crowd, and the go back and try the variants crowd) with one difficulty level, and it didnt work. 3 difficulties is a clear improvement, although it may be that even that isnt enough given the different ways people will play the game.

The other problem, at least with the latest gemcraft flash game, was that exploits on certain levels rendered your scores on other levels pretty irrelevant.

Anyway, looking forward to trying this. With some obvious effort made to improve the game, this has the potential to have pretty wide appeal.

Question: what type of achievements and leaderboards are there?

Last edited by ArtNJ; 04-14-2011 at 09:38 AM..
Old 04-14-2011, 09:42 AM

@maxime briand
The difficulty levels effect quite a number of things, most noticeably monsters strength but a few others.

@artnj
We do have difficulty levels now you are right. We can add more and we can do other things if the fans ask for it. The beauty of an iphone app is that as long as its selling we can continue to improve it.

Achievements range from things as easy as building a trap, to things as hard as getting an 80 kill spree( dont quote me on 80 i forget the exact numbers). Other things include having a large amount of mana in a battle, winning the game, winning the game on the secret game modem, we have 30 i think in all. You can see them all in game center.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Developer
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Excellent tower defense. Just picked it up. If you only get one td game make it this one. Good job.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:07 AM

Yesss, it's finally out. Just bought it and I'll post impressions later. I'm hoping it will hold up to the GemCraft name.