★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Knights of the Phantom Castle - $0.99 (from $4.99)

04-14-2011, 08:48 PM
Knights of the Phantom Castle - $0.99 (from $4.99)

If you at all admire strategy games this is a must own. My highest possible recommendation on this one. Before Battleheart, before Legendary Wars, there was...

Last edited by undeadcow; 04-14-2011 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Headline error
07-21-2011, 02:46 PM
This looks pretty cool (and on sale now). I watched a video of it, and my only concern is the combat controls - it seems like there's some possibility for misinterpretation of strokes/commands. Is that true? Or does it work well?

Also, how is the story?

Game Designer, Web Developer, Jack-of-all-trades
www.artfoundry.com
Gamecenter ID: Delerium
Alt TA: LCDDreams

07-21-2011, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfoundry View Post
This looks pretty cool (and on sale now). I watched a video of it, and my only concern is the combat controls - it seems like there's some possibility for misinterpretation of strokes/commands. Is that true? Or does it work well?

Also, how is the story?
Regarding controls they generally operate well but sometimes the flick function is tricky. I haven't experienced a lot of misinterpretation just that sometimes it's difficult to swipe from your character with the control the game seems to demand. Still an enjoyable game.

Story is fairly generic.
07-21-2011, 03:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by undeadcow View Post
Regarding controls they generally operate well but sometimes the flick function is tricky. I haven't experienced a lot of misinterpretation just that sometimes it's difficult to swipe from your character with the control the game seems to demand. Still an enjoyable game.

Story is fairly generic.
So why is it a must own? Heh, "enjoyable" and "fairly generic" don't really inspire an overwhelming desire to own.

Game Designer, Web Developer, Jack-of-all-trades
www.artfoundry.com
Gamecenter ID: Delerium
Alt TA: LCDDreams
07-21-2011, 09:34 PM
Gameplay actually reminds me of Battleheart
It's like a 16-bit pixel version of it

Fairly enjoyable.... wouldn't pay 4.99 for it... but 99c is a go.
07-21-2011, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfoundry View Post
So why is it a must own? Heh, "enjoyable" and "fairly generic" don't really inspire an overwhelming desire to own.
It's not a story driven game. It plays a lot like a micro real time strategy game with some puzzle twists. I really enjoyed the mechanics and challenge. Although not as polished as Battleheart which others have compared it too KotPC has more detailed level design and strategy with an often slower pace. Easily worth a dollar.

Last edited by undeadcow; 07-22-2011 at 09:44 PM.
07-22-2011, 09:02 PM
Well, 0.99... Im in!
07-22-2011, 10:45 PM
The gameplay is great, the battle mechanic is quite complex and the game itself is super super super hard. It's definitely a hardcore game unlike Legendary Wars or Battleheart, which I think is more casual oriented.

The story is fairly generic, but if I set my standard high enough, there's rarely any original game with good story in the Appstore. And let's not start with Gameloft or Gamevil. This shouldn't restrain anyone from buying it.

The controls are the only weak point of this game. It's not as perfect as I hope it to be.
07-22-2011, 10:57 PM
Took a while to get into. I actually deleted it after trying it out for a while many months ago, and only resynced it on undeadcow's recommendation just a while back. If you're into battles with tons of unit micromanagement in the vein of RTS games but on a smaller scale, this ones a great choice. The battles do indeed get pretty interesting, but like I said, it might take a while for it to grow on you. Also, it might not be too kind to beginners, but keep trying if you get stuck. Once you get the controls down, it should be pretty fun.

Twitter: @back2this
12-21-2011, 06:15 AM
Back to 99c.

Ascension BeatHazard Carcassonne DungeonRaid ElderSign
GreedyBankers Helsing'sFire NimbleStrong PhoenixWright Poison TiltToLive