★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: KungFuMaster for iPad

04-18-2011, 03:35 PM
KungFuMaster for iPad

04-18-2011, 04:13 PM
Looks to be a great copy, do Irem/DataEast endorse this port?

04-18-2011, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasterico View Post
Looks to be a great copy, do Irem/DataEast endorse this port?
Port? LOL looks like a straight rip off of the original. Lawsuit anyone?
04-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Can't see even a single aspect that can arouse my interest....
04-18-2011, 09:38 PM
Instabuy for me. I used to LOVE playing this game as a kid. Glad I bought it too; so far it plays very much like the original (insofar as I can remember anyway). There's another clone of this game on the app store called Kung Pow, but that game quickly lost my interest because the graphics are low-res on the iPad and the game was generic. Kung Fu Master, however, sports nice HD retro graphics, has better sounds, better controls, faster gameplay, and is overall a great clone of an old classic. Awesome!
04-19-2011, 04:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacalo View Post
Port? LOL looks like a straight rip off of the original. Lawsuit anyone?
I was being polite!

Oh and at least they changed the girls name from Sylvia to Gema!
04-19-2011, 07:55 AM
I'm old! i must confess that i love this kind of retro games
This game looks in my iPAD exactly like i remember the original in my old Amstrad CPC6128!! Buff Lot years ago!!
04-19-2011, 10:05 AM
No way!
I used to play this game on NINTENDO back in the 1990's.
I remember the block graphics and massive lag, it was awesome and definitely a classic! Can't believe it is on the iPad now.
Thanks for bringing back good childhood memories.
08-13-2011, 03:05 PM
I expect this to get yanked soon. Kung Pow was already cutting it way too close, but this game completely rips the arcade sprites pixel for pixel. At least Kung Pow mixed up the music/sound, and featured original bosses and slightly reworked sprites.

Some impressions from playing through the first level.

- when starting up, it actually displays the arcade grid pattern. My first thought was, "what, this isn't just stealing the arcade gfx, but (patched) rom code as well?" After playing, some more, it's pretty close, but there are enough little gameplay differences to eventually convince me it's not a hybrid emulator.

Some notes:

- game center user name is automatically used for the in-game leaderboards

- the "Kung Fu Master" logo tiles are oddly HD, but the rest of the game backgrounds/sprites are straight upscaled blocky graphics from the arcade game. Would actually look better if the KFM logo was blocky, too.

- Sound and music are samples ripped from the arcade. The only thing that sounds "off" is the initial "walking onto stage" sound effect which is recycled for walking up stairs.

- The joystick behaves like the arcade 4-way joystick. Which is a bit annoying. Unlike the NES port, here you can't do a jump forward or jump back without advancing first.

- It feels oddly sluggish on my ipad, almost like an unoptimized emulator. Everything is noticably slower than arcade (confirmed via YouTube & MAME in case my memory was rusty).

- The AI and collision detection is slightly off - I used the tactic of backing the first boss into the corner, backing up slightly, turning around and punching, and all the punches missed. The first boss can hit you before his stick is extended.

- 2nd stage pattern is different from arcade, and the boss's boomerangs appear onscreen before you even see him.

- I thought it odd to have the controls overlapping the in-game, but they don't really get in the way.

I'll probably play this through to the end our of curiosity to see how close a port it is.

For anyone that wants an arcade perfect experience, this (so far) comes really close. But it really could use an update to at least speed everything up.

Last edited by Stroffolino; 08-13-2011 at 03:21 PM. Reason: updated impressions