★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Looking for Advice on Our First Game - Hip Hop Ninja

04-20-2011, 01:40 AM
Looking for Advice on Our First Game - Hip Hop Ninja

Update:
I've created a new thread for Hip Hop Ninja in upcoming games, please visit: Hip Hop Ninja. We also want to say thanks to all people here who give feedback and critique to make the game better

Hi all, We've been working on our first iOS game for about a month, it's called 'Hip Hop Ninja'. After lurking around in this forum and saw so many successful developer here, I believe any advice from people here will help us to build a better game.

Here's some screenshot of the game - Updated April 26th:

Gameplay video - Updated April 26th:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Edit - Based on feedback here, we've changed some things especially some design on UI, thanks guys!

Hip Hop Ninja basically is a whack a mole game, but more polished with better gameplay, dancing ninja, and comical story. Looking at our progress it might be a month or more before it's released, so we might change some direction in development to make our game more polished. If you've watch the gameplay video, please let me know what you think. Feedback and idea are very welcome

Thanks in advance,

Our development blog:
Fast4Ward Studio

Last edited by astralucid; 05-25-2011 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Updated Gameplay and Screenshot.
04-20-2011, 01:55 AM
I really dig the art style. The graphics look great. I couldnt really hear the audio that well. When the little hip hop guys pop up does it play the instrument they are standing infront of?

04-20-2011, 02:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMoya View Post
I really dig the art style. The graphics look great. I couldnt really hear the audio that well.
Thanks! no, we haven't add any audio yet beside the sound effect when the target hit. We're still waiting someone build the music that fits the disco theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMoya View Post
When the little hip hop guys pop up does it play the instrument they are standing infront of?
No, not yet, but we might add that later.
04-20-2011, 09:12 AM
Looks good to me, I'd say you have a fair chance at doing well.
04-20-2011, 09:28 AM
this is a whack a mole like game?
04-20-2011, 04:26 PM
I totally love the ingame graphics. So stylish
Maybe I don't know too much about the backstory, but I find neither the title of the game, nor the main menu screen fitting to the ingame scene. I just don't see any connection to the hiphop side of things.
Is it just cool hiphop kids popping up, that you have to destroy ?
Maybe that's the premise, maybe I just don't get it
In any case, I totally hate the graffiti styled menu font. Can't read it too well, and the title sounds as if you are a hiphop ninja fighting for the survival of hiphop.

Anyways, I love the games action screen, not really into the mainmenu and fonts
Post more info and media

15 Coins - @Toucharcade

My humble Portfolio: www.acumen-design.de/blog
Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/fabi_smith
04-20-2011, 07:21 PM
I would say to much time spent on (the really good looking) gfx and near no time on game design (that sadly can work sometimes (e.g. Tiny Wings)). I would try to add more elements to the game (or are there more unshown in the video).
04-20-2011, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.Ugly View Post
this is a whack a mole like game?
Yes, basically you need to touch the onscreen target to gain a score, but we give it some more gameplay elements to make it better.
04-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acumen View Post
I totally love the ingame graphics. So stylish
Maybe I don't know too much about the backstory, but I find neither the title of the game, nor the main menu screen fitting to the ingame scene. I just don't see any connection to the hiphop side of things.
Is it just cool hiphop kids popping up, that you have to destroy ?
Maybe that's the premise, maybe I just don't get it
In any case, I totally hate the graffiti styled menu font. Can't read it too well, and the title sounds as if you are a hiphop ninja fighting for the survival of hiphop.

Anyways, I love the games action screen, not really into the mainmenu and fonts
Post more info and media
The hip hop guys is actually a target for shuriken training, and the ingame background is actually a dojo run by the ninja sensei who loves hip hop. Anyways, the story maybe absurd but we make it as funny as possible

The title 'Hip Hop Ninja' chosen because it's sounds catchy, and enough to make people curious when they hear it.

You're right about the low readability on main menu, I'll change it on next build. Thanks for your feedback and suggestion, we will definitely post more gameplay video soon when the music is done.
04-20-2011, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jogo View Post
I would say to much time spent on (the really good looking) gfx and near no time on game design (that sadly can work sometimes (e.g. Tiny Wings)). I would try to add more elements to the game (or are there more unshown in the video).
The gameplay on the video is the first build, we've added some new gameplay elements to make it better. But it's still simple pick and play game, it's our first game and we're just learn cocos2d so we decide to make it as simple as possible.

Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciated it