★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: Matagot
  • Genre: Dice
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 135.3 MB
  • Version: 1.0.2
  • Price: $3.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description: Dice Town Mobile is the poker game of dice and land grabs, where your roll determines your luck, not the other way around. Roll the poker dice and build the hand that gets you what you want. Rob the bank, mine for gold, or settle the land, but be smart, because only the best rolls can win, and there's always someone willing to steal your hard-won rewards right out from under you. If your hand isn't what you hoped it would be, you can always pay to try again - as long as you can afford it, that is.

Dice Town Mobile is a solo game that will entertain you against one to 4 AI players and wrap up in less than an hour. Spend your money to make the best hand you can, because in this town, luck may decide the winner, but the best players make their own luck.
03-16-2015, 06:00 PM
I love a good board game, this should keep me busy until the Talisman expansion update arrives. Good find Pete.

03-16-2015, 09:21 PM
Game Impressions

Wow, this game is pure genius!

Sure, it looks like an innocent wild west themed game of poker dice, but don't let that fool you!

While the main point of the game is to win rounds of poker dice to acquire land (the main form of victory points), there is a cool sub game at the end of each hand where the exact makeup of your hand can allow you special perks in town if you have the most of that key card in your hand. So say you lose the round with a 3 of a kind (10-10-10-A-Q) to somebody with a full house (K-K-K-Q-Q), you won't win any land grants but if you manage to have the most 10s in this round, you'll win all the cash currently held in the bank (used to reserve dice and for extra victory points at the end of the game). What makes this game so clever then is that often it pays to intentionally construct a losing hand just to receive a given building in town's special services.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
OpenFeint, Plus+, & Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, Crystal, & iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
03-16-2015, 09:37 PM
It's interesting that the app icon name is displayed as DiceTownlos5.
03-16-2015, 11:27 PM
Let's hear some impressions! I haven't been able to try out the mobile version but Dice Town is one of my favorite board games so I hope this will do it justice.
03-16-2015, 11:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganTnT View Post
Let's hear some impressions! I haven't been able to try out the mobile version but Dice Town is one of my favorite board games so I hope this will do it justice.
So far it is an incredibly slick UI and seemingly solid AI.

While there is no tutorial, you can play with an advisor that walks you through each stage.

My only whine at this point is there is no way to look up any of the cards while in-game. The cards have no text, just descriptive little pictograph icons that are usually pretty intuitive. Once you get the basics of play down it would probably be a good idea to go back out to the main menu after your current game ends and read the description of each of the general store cards and Doc Badluck's boons.

A more minor possible whine, the only sound effects are the dice rolls which are muted by default.

My iTunes Reviews
03-17-2015, 12:59 AM
In the screenshots it looks like 20 different AI opponents but they're all in silhouette form. Do you unlock them through gameplay or something? If so then replay value seems through the roof.
03-17-2015, 07:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Son of Anarchy View Post
In the screenshots it looks like 20 different AI opponents but they're all in silhouette form. Do you unlock them through gameplay or something? If so then replay value seems through the roof.
Yep.

If memory recalls there are 20 opponents total, 4 different gangs of 5 members representing each of the game's 5 difficulty levels (Easy, Medium, Hard, Legendary, and Nasty). Opponents are unlocked simply by beating their lower forms (i.e if I beat Bradley the Easy opponent of the Red Damnation crew, then I'll unlock Chuck the medium skilled opponent of the Red Damnation crew).

The difficulty levels are fairly straight forward for the first 3, but the last 2 sound a bit unique. Legendary opponents each have their own unique ways to cheat and Nasty opponents know to, whenever possible, gang up on YOU, the human player (it isn't clear but I'd assume Nasty opponents can still cheat as well).

My iTunes Reviews
03-17-2015, 08:30 AM
Thanks LordGek, my impatience and curiosity got the better of me and I got the game anyway before seeing your reply. Found the tutorial button, hit it and the first round blurred by me. I was thinking I'll never remember all this but by halfway through, to my surprise, it all sank in and I felt at home with the rules and who gets what in each of the end breakdown locations, most kings, most jacks etc. Ended up winning first game (but as you mentioned first opponents go pretty easy on you) and unlocking a new dude to play against.

Very clever game actually, it's fairly in depth yet accessible at the same time. Unlocking all the players will probably take a while but that's cool because the game is quite fun, lots of little things come together to make a satisfying whole. If only there were more sounds, but I 'spose that's nothing a podcast or your own tunes can't fix.

First impressions - odd the lack of sound besides dice rolls as mentioned, maybe a few chinking glasses and low background chatter would complete the atmosphere. Overall I'm impressed, this along with Card Crawl should cure anyone's quick fix game syndrome for quite a while.
03-17-2015, 04:08 PM
hmmm, and i thought Gek was playing Card Crawl. anyway, the board game review by Vasel looked interesting and since the moderator is blubbering all over this , i think i'll give it a try. anyone else have an opinion? don't forget the dud that was Cyclades! (the same folks released that several years ago)

HERE'S the PDF rulebook for the board game.

Last edited by Mack the Knife; 03-17-2015 at 05:18 PM.